Shane Waldron and an analysis of a failed 4th and 1

RiverDog

Reaction score
I picked this up off of SB Nation:

Seahawks had Noah Fant block Nick Bosa on 4th-and-1 run, with predictable results

Trailing 31-13 with only a few minutes remaining, Zach Charbonnet’s failed 4th down conversion is an inconsequential play in terms of any realistic chance of a Seattle Seahawks victory. It does, however, sum up my personal frustration with offensive coordinator Shane Waldron and his unit.

After a failed 3rd-and-1 sneak with Geno Smith, the Seahawks lined up to go for it on 4th down instead of kick a field goal to make it 31-16. Genuinely sensible when you consider they need at least two touchdowns anyway.

Then the Seahawks lined up in shotgun formation.

Uh oh. Now in fairness, Seattle did this against the Washington Commanders and converted on a Zach Charbonnet run. The Commanders just fired their defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio because they have an awful defense, but that’s neither here nor there.

Again, the Seahawks handed it to Charbonnet. He lost two yards and Seattle never got the ball back.

Now why did that happen?

Maybe because Noah Fant was entrusted to take care of some ho-hum edge rusher named Nick Bosa. Pete Carroll explains the long-developing shotgun play that had zero chance of working out.

in summation:

• Seahawks go shotgun, 11 personnel needing just 1 yard.
  • Put a tight end on Nick Bosa. Not just any tight end, but the one not known for his blocking.
  • Ran the ball on the side where the tight end is blocking Bosa and their smallest, least healthy receiver is blocking a slot corner.
  • ???
  • Go bankrupt.
By the way, that 4th down conversion with Charbonnet in the Commanders game? Fant was blocking a defensive back, not Nick freaking Bosa.

Absolutely zero feel for personnel and situation is shown on this play.

And so we’ve reached the point where I’m saying it: Fire Shane Waldron.

Xxx

Reaction score
Even the blocking of nick bosa shouldn’t have mattered the shotgun was the real problem. I was calling it a draw cause it was so slow developing, but it wasn’t. It was just slow. If geno was under center the y would have had more deception and charb would have had some steam. Or they coulda just snuck it again. They assisted the 49ers with that play call. Hmmm, 4th and inches, too easy, let’s make it 4th and five and try to do a standing long jump….smh

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
This right here is a common problem. We make really stupid personnel decisions too often. Look at the Malcolm Butler interception from Super Bowl 49, that play we called had HORRIBLE personnel assignments. Yeah, let's count on a small WR to do a key block at the goal line. UGH. We could have had a dynasty, we really could have...instead, it all went downhill.

Xxx

Reaction score
This right here is a common problem. We make really stupid personnel decisions too often. Look at the Malcolm Butler interception from Super Bowl 49, that play we called had HORRIBLE personnel assignments. Yeah, let's count on a small WR to do a key block at the goal line. UGH. We could have had a dynasty, we really could have...instead, it all went downhill.
The common denominator then is Pete.

Xxx

Reaction score
That play had destructive and lasting ramifications

OP
OP
RiverDog

RiverDog

Reaction score
Me too. I can’t wait for the new era. I wanna see Pete ride off into the sunset after his last hurrah… make it a good one Pete!
I'm still biting my tongue regarding Pete as I don't feel comfortable advocating for a coaching change this far away from the end of the season and when we have a +.500 record.

But I am ready for a change, too. Have been for some time.

cymatica

Reaction score
Aside from Fant, Lockett was literally the worst receiver you could have blocking there. Bobo or Metcalf are the only 2 legitimate options. Stupid formation combined with stupid personnel decisions.

This play is a microcosm of the offense in general. How can they even hint that their problems have anything to do with execution when they are setting the players up for failure constantly?

Ozzy

Reaction score
This is spot on, it wasn’t so much the call in the SB it was thinking Kearse who was terrible at blocking going against Browner who was the best in the nfl at the line of scrimmage and then you had you your 5th we as the only read and he rounded it off. If you run that with literally any other personnel it’s an incompletion at worst and a TD at best. For some strange reason it’s never talked about

Ozzy

Reaction score
Aside from Fant, Lockett was literally the worst receiver you could have blocking there. Bobo or Metcalf are the only 2 legitimate options. Stupid formation combined with stupid personnel decisions.

This play is a microcosm of the offense in general. How can they even hint that their problems have anything to do with execution when they are setting the players up for failure constantly?
Because there are a ton of plays on film where the playcall is fine and they don’t execute. I posted Matt Waldron doing a breakdown of the game and he highlighted a couple

OP
OP
RiverDog

RiverDog

Reaction score

Bobo yes, but Metcalf is a horrible blocker. Bosa would have gone around/through him in no time. The ideal choice would have been Dissly as he's our best blocking tight end.

But outside of that, I agree completely with your comments.

cymatica

Reaction score
Bobo yes, but Metcalf is a horrible blocker. Bosa would have gone around/through him in no time. The ideal choice would have been Dissly as he's our best blocking tight end.

But outside of that, I agree completely with your comments.
Was referring to having a different receiver than Lockett. Bosa was on Fant and yes I would have Dissly instead if I was dumb enough to call that play

Optimus25

Reaction score
I’m with collinsworth- given the game situation, probably our best chance to just throw it 40yds and see if anything happens.

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
Was referring to having a different receiver than Lockett. Bosa was on Fant and yes I would have Dissly instead if I was dumb enough to call that play
I’m surprised Lockett wasn’t assigned bosa given waldrons judgment on all things football

Crizilla

Reaction score
Lol Bosa just shoves Fant to the side like a ragdoll. I don't even know what Fant was doing right after the snap. He shuffle dances while moving to the left. Lmao. It looks so funny. Was that the assignment? Hope not because the RB stayed to the right. All Bosa had to do is look right in front of him. You can't give Bosa that much space and vision. Get bodies on him and block his sight. This isn't just Waldrons fault it's everyones. Why even run that play? Should have changed it before the snap.

Last edited:

SeeHocks

Reaction score
I picked this up off of SB Nation:

Seahawks had Noah Fant block Nick Bosa on 4th-and-1 run, with predictable results

Trailing 31-13 with only a few minutes remaining, Zach Charbonnet’s failed 4th down conversion is an inconsequential play in terms of any realistic chance of a Seattle Seahawks victory. It does, however, sum up my personal frustration with offensive coordinator Shane Waldron and his unit.

After a failed 3rd-and-1 sneak with Geno Smith, the Seahawks lined up to go for it on 4th down instead of kick a field goal to make it 31-16. Genuinely sensible when you consider they need at least two touchdowns anyway.

Then the Seahawks lined up in shotgun formation.

Uh oh. Now in fairness, Seattle did this against the Washington Commanders and converted on a Zach Charbonnet run. The Commanders just fired their defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio because they have an awful defense, but that’s neither here nor there.

Again, the Seahawks handed it to Charbonnet. He lost two yards and Seattle never got the ball back.

Now why did that happen?

Maybe because Noah Fant was entrusted to take care of some ho-hum edge rusher named Nick Bosa. Pete Carroll explains the long-developing shotgun play that had zero chance of working out.

in summation:

• Seahawks go shotgun, 11 personnel needing just 1 yard.
  • Put a tight end on Nick Bosa. Not just any tight end, but the one not known for his blocking.
  • Ran the ball on the side where the tight end is blocking Bosa and their smallest, least healthy receiver is blocking a slot corner.
  • ???
  • Go bankrupt.
By the way, that 4th down conversion with Charbonnet in the Commanders game? Fant was blocking a defensive back, not Nick freaking Bosa.

And so we’ve reached the point where I’m saying it: Fire Shane Waldron.

Fant.

LOL

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
This is spot on, it wasn’t so much the call in the SB it was thinking Kearse who was terrible at blocking going against Browner who was the best in the nfl at the line of scrimmage and then you had you your 5th we as the only read and he rounded it off. If you run that with literally any other personnel it’s an incompletion at worst and a TD at best. For some strange reason it’s never talked about
Well, we're sort of talking about it now; but it's a good example of poor personnel decisions that we make too often. IMO.