whats the move if no O-line in the first 5 or 6 rounds ?

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
I've purchased the insider on espn.com and it suggests that fans/analysts will be very disappointed in that Seattle will stick to its formula of not drafting O-line until the 7th round and bringing in UDFA. I will be one of them but i believe in the coaching staff either way. If this happends i expect DT to be the first pick for Seattle especially with M. Bennett's contract/production hanging in the wind. I see Seattle waiting until after the 1st round to go after a WR with all the depth in this years draft. I would bet money Seattle will find a middle to late round CB to develop in this years draft maybe even more than one.

my seattle mock draft:
1) Best DT
2) tall WR
4)DE/DT
5)CB
5)WR/TE
6)OT
7)OT/OG

sutz

Reaction score
Well, Pete is a DB guy, so a CB/S somewhere is kind of a given. Not sure if they have a hard and fast rule on no OL til 7, that would be kind of silly to me. It is probably more that they didn't think any of the OL lately has been the BPA when they were on the clock. I mean it's kind of like saying that "Cable doesn't like 1st Rd OL." Stupic comment IMHO. Just because he maybe never had any drafted for him doesn't mean he wouldn't want the best talent available. Here in Seattle, I think he has more say in draft day and FA decisions than he has had in the past.

OP
OP
L

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
sutz":4vwr6fyv said:
Well, Pete is a DB guy, so a CB/S somewhere is kind of a given. Not sure if they have a hard and fast rule on no OL til 7, that would be kind of silly to me. It is probably more that they didn't think any of the OL lately has been the BPA when they were on the clock. I mean it's kind of like saying that "Cable doesn't like 1st Rd OL." Stupic comment IMHO. Just because he maybe never had any drafted for him doesn't mean he wouldn't want the best talent available. Here in Seattle, I think he has more say in draft day and FA decisions than he has had in the past.

In the espn.com insiders article it said that the Seahawks were confident/comfortable with Tom Cable's ability to develop late round and UDFA talent into quality depth players. It also indicated Seattle was ok with the prospect that Bowie and Bailey would develope more in the off season to possibly be next years starters.

randomation

Reaction score
Um O line first round or trade down into early 2nd then oline and pick up a reciever 3rd or 4th still think Luke can be a legit redzone threat so I don't see the need for a project like KB who has dropsie issues.

sutz

Reaction score
Lynch Mob":1q0qtker said:
sutz":1q0qtker said:

In the espn.com insiders article it said that the Seahawks were confident/comfortable with Tom Cable's ability to develop late round and UDFA talent into quality depth players. It also indicated Seattle was ok with the prospect that Bowie and Bailey would develope more in the off season to possibly be next years starters.
None of which has much to do with the prospects of drafting OL early. Obviously, the FO has their list of off season needs, which in the past has surprised many people. We have a full FA period to go yet, before the draft. What they do there will tell us a lot.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
David Yankey is a slam dunk. He has the versatility to play either guard or tackle. He would immediately upgrade our interior line blocking. Big body, nasty in the run game, and efficient as a pass blocker.

Jville

Reaction score
sutz":a9g4blxd said:
Lynch Mob":a9g4blxd said:
sutz":a9g4blxd said:

None of which has much to do with the prospects of drafting OL early. Obviously, the FO has their list of off season needs, which in the past has surprised many people. We have a full FA period to go yet, before the draft. What they do there will tell us a lot.
As I recall, the reason given, last year, for waiting until the 7th round was that the league reached for offensive linemen thru out that draft. Seattle used their 3 ... 7th round picks on offensive linemen ...... while waiting on more plentiful linebackers for their post draft free agent signings.

The reasoning behind this year's speculation is similar. There is a "severe" shortage of offensive linemen. Many teams will, once again, reach to fill holes.

This trend is a reflection of supply and demand. It is why Seattle has expanded their population search to include conversion candidates as well as slightly shorter linemen.

None of this excludes the possibility of the Hutchinson effect ...... an offensive linemen slipping thru the draft and falling into the Seahawk's lap. It is just that it is less likely than in the more plentiful days of Steve Hutchinson.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I don't expect an R1/R2 OL pick. I get the sense that we're very pleased with last years additions. Now that they will have had a year and 2 training camps under their belts -- I can see one being a starter somewhere and the other being our new McQuistan utility guy. If so, then that means we're looking at depth to develop again.

Carpenter hasn't been great shakes for us. He needs some competition there. Sweezy seems like he's doing everything we want him to do. Although I think it's year three now -- he needs to feel some competitive heat. But since we're not looking at drafting day 1 starters -- I don't expect us to draft like we are.

aawolf

Reaction score
IMO, O-line should be the top priority in the first round. I think we should take two or three and develop an OT and let Breno walk.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
If David Yankey is a slam dunk, he's not reaching pick 32. That's the real issue with targeting OL at the end of R1. We will be looking at R2 quality OL.

hawknation2014":2h3uz46z said:
David Yankey is a slam dunk. He has the versatility to play either guard or tackle. He would immediately upgrade our interior line blocking. Big body, nasty in the run game, and efficient as a pass blocker.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
This is a really deep draft class. A great year to have the 32nd pick, IMO. We're going to find a lot of great players late in the draft. Then again, we always do that.

SDHawk

Reaction score
Posted this in my draft thread but I'll repost here for anyone interested. Duvernay-Tardif could probably be had for a 5th-7th round pick.

Canadian right tackle Laurent Duvernay-Tardif is a very physical player that mixed it up with East Carolina defensive end Derrell Johnson. The 6-foot-5, 315-pound Duvernay-Tardif muscled Johnson around when he was rushing from the left side in one-on-one pass rushing drills. When Johnson went to the right side of the defensive line he used his quickness to his advantage with greater success.

Duvernay-Tardif also got physical and showed a mean streak against Purdue defensive lineman Bruce Gaston, Jr. as the two briefly scuffled after a drill.

https://www.pewterreport.com/index.php? ... tices-1-15

Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, OT, McGill, Height 6050, Weight, 321

Duvernay-Tardif first caught my attention when I attended the Montreal at McGill game during the 2013 season and I was excited to see him at the East-West Game. Historically, offensive linemen who played college football in Canada really struggle at all-star games as they have trouble adjusting to not having the one yard buffer between the offensive and defensive lines. However, it was clear from the first practice that he had spent time preparing for this change and handled it remarkably well. His foot quickness and flexibility are both NFL starting caliber and combined with his ability to take coaching and improve throughout the week, I believe he is an outstanding developmental prospect with a real opportunity to become a starter in the NFL.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/66785894

10. T Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, McGil - Along with Dozier and Leno Jr., Duvernay-Tardif was the only offensive lineman to consistently display knee bend and good lower body athleticism to mirror. He held up better than many big school prospects.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cfb/4 ... ine-review

5. One of the more pleasant surprises here has been McGill offensive tackle Laurent Duvernay-Tardif. I had never heard of the Canadian before this week, but he has proven he belongs. Predominately playing right tackle, he’s proven to be technically sound and surprisingly adept at handling both speed and power. Most Canadians who have been here have been either not quite athletic enough or technically raw, but in two days of watching him pretty intently I’ve seem neither issue with Duvernay-Tardif. Others have noticed as well, including his opponents on the D-line, who have had nothing but good things to say about him. One prospect from a major BCS conference told me he’s the best tackle he’s ever played against. Keep him in mind on the draft’s third day and hope your team takes a flyer on him.

http://football.realgm.com/src_article/ ... rine_week/

http://youtu.be/13e3WEbeD6k?t=2m12s

SDHawk

Reaction score
^ some cut-ups.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/o/1279374/l ... nay-tardif

He pancakes or pushes his assignment 20yds upfield on virtually every play. The man finishes.

Edit: Oh yeah, he's also not your typical "communications major". Dude is pre-med. Also, you can clearly see his athleticism on pull blocks. Versatile enough to fit in any scheme and I think he can play every position along the line.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
Lynch Mob":2ftxzkzf said:
Seattle will stick to its formula of not drafting O-line until the 7th round and bringing in UDFA.

Since when did this become this team's formula? We drafted OL 3 out of the first 4 picks in Schneid's/PC's first two drafts. It only stands to reason that the next couple of drafts they laid off of that area. With Carp and Moffitt not panning out like expected and Breno possibly leaving, would it be a real big surprise if a good OL player was there that they wouldn't go that way?

Personally, taking into account BAP, team needs, positions that might be leaving and where we are picking - I would expect to trade back or go WR, OL, or DL. But wouldn't be surprised at just about anything else.

Jville

Reaction score
Thanks SDhawk for taking the time and trouble of collecting those links and making them available in one location.

T Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, McGil - Along with Dozier and Leno Jr., Duvernay-Tardif was the only offensive lineman to consistently display knee bend and good lower body athleticism to mirror.

Good knee bend, good lower body flexibility and athleticism is what I am looking for in prospects this year. :th2thumbs:

SDHawk

Reaction score
Be sure to watch the second highlight video on his page. Both videos are posted on November 6, 2013 but they are different highlights. The guy is a straight mauler. He definitely has that mean streak to him. What jumps out to me is his quick feet, given his size. Though it also appears his kick slide could use some work?

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/o/1279374/h ... s/29755376

Latest posts