Donte Moncrief

SDHawk

Reaction score
We were talking about him alot last offseason.

I really like so much that I see but the guy body catches EVERYTHING. He doesnt extend away from his body and doesnt win jump balls. He does burn DBs on a regular basis, there's tape of him owning Tharold Simon in 2012.

kearly

Reaction score
I expect Seattle will have a high grade on him. 6'3" and 4.40 forty. Looks like he high points well. Overall, I would say he looks the part.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
I think the Seahawks will double dip on draft picks at WR. When they have had defined needs in the past, they usually seem to bring in multiple draft picks and FA guys to compete and fill the void. IMO if both Rice and Tate are gone, they need 2 WR's to replace them (even if Tate stays I'd still say 2 WR's are needed).

I like Donte Moncreif as the #64 pick, IMO- He will be able to produce very well in his first year. IIRC, last years drafting of Chris Harper was to provide "something we currently don't have" per PC and Moncreif is a much, much better WR than Harper.

I hope that the Hawks will also draft either Martavis Bryant (preferred) or Brandon Coleman with their 4-th round pick (if possible), or more realistically maybe with a 3-rd round pick from a trade down. If Bryant/Coleman are gone, then Janis or Hoffman as the first pick in round 5 would also provide a taller, perhaps more raw developmental player to go along with Moncreif.

IMO- A combination of Donte Moncreif and Martavis Bryant/Brandon Coleman would be optimum. Ideally, The Seahawks 1-st round pick (or a high 2-nd round pick, if a trade down gets done) would leave the opportunity to get a decent DL/OL player as their first pick, then round 2, or 3/4 they get WR's. BPA in a position of need in the later rounds should bring players to compete for those other positions of probable need including: OL, DL, DB's and TE.

titan3131

Reaction score
^ to above poster Shouldnt you add in J matthews into the equation as an option, or maybe he sips to the 5th!

the only player I dont like is K benjamin.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Matthews and Moncrief are almost identical in measurables. they might play a little different but you are getting a M. Colston/Michael Floyd/Alshon Jeffery/Demarius Thomas type potential playmaker with either.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Throwdown":3v8xt35q said:
[youtube]XpOHRPmhErw[/youtube]

What are the thoughts on this guy?

Awesome measurables, not sold on his catching ability.

As pointed out, the dude body catches almost everything thrown his way.

@Kearly, he only "high points" the ball twice in the entire video that is posted by Throwdown. Maybe you've watched more than I have, but the dude looks like a BCB through and through.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
Moncrief gets amazing separation. Still very raw but only 20 years old. Monster upside. Like him in R2. My second favorite "upside" guy behind Martavis Bryant.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I think the question is this: Is Moncreif a huge step up from Lockette? I don't think he is.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
The more I watch on Moncrief, the more I think he has an absolute ton of upside and was somewhat wasted at Ole Miss.

It might take him a year to get up to speed, but as a long term investment he looks the part.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":m4rm16v9 said:
The more I watch on Moncrief, the more I think he has an absolute ton of upside and was somewhat wasted at Ole Miss.

It might take him a year to get up to speed, but as a long term investment he looks the part.

He's now my hope for pick 32.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2dpsdzvb said:
I think the question is this: Is Moncreif a huge step up from Lockette? I don't think he is.

Is this sarcasm? Lockette has been on 3 different practice squads in 2 years, and has a hard time running a route and chewing gum at the same time.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3hg13ick said:

Well, Lockette played for Fort Valley State, where over his entire career he had 42 receptions for 539 yards.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Field Gulls compared the two in an article. I'm not a draft guy but here ya go...

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2014/2/28/545 ... pelgangers

Lockette is the fastest guy on the current Seahawk roster, and his near-twin is Donte Moncrief (6023/221/4.40). Lockette gets the edge in 40, bench, SS, and 3C, while Moncrief (who many think had such an amazing combine) only gets the nod in broad and vert. And the difference in verts was 0.5". Moncrief also probably gets the edge in actual catching ability, but Moncrief will not give you anywhere close to what Lockette is giving us on special teams. I don’t think Moncrief will block well for you either.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
E.C. Laloosh":1av7dye0 said:
Field Gulls compared the two in an article. I'm not a draft guy but here ya go...

Lockette is the fastest guy on the current Seahawk roster, and his near-twin is Donte Moncrief (6023/221/4.40). Lockette gets the edge in 40, bench, SS, and 3C, while Moncrief (who many think had such an amazing combine) only gets the nod in broad and vert. And the difference in verts was 0.5". Moncrief also probably gets the edge in actual catching ability, but Moncrief will not give you anywhere close to what Lockette is giving us on special teams. I don’t think Moncrief will block well for you either.
Honestly, I never saw that before I posted.

I watch Moncrief and I feel like I am watching Lockette, both with route running and with body catching.
I hated Lockette until he started showing up on specials. His speed was making a difference a couple of times a year as a reciever, but was making a difference twice a game on specials.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Maybe Moncrief and Lockett has similar size and athletic abilities but Moncrief is a heck of a better player than Lockett and it says alot more about him that his athleticism is on Locketts level.

Not sure I'd use our #32 on Moncrief but I'd be happy with him at #64.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Scottemojo":37l6nsa9 said:
E.C. Laloosh":37l6nsa9 said:

Honestly, I never saw that before I posted.

I watch Moncrief and I feel like I am watching Lockette, both with route running and with body catching.
I hated Lockette until he started showing up on specials. His speed was making a difference a couple of times a year as a reciever, but was making a difference twice a game on specials.

I hear ya. I've mocked Lockette on more than one occasion but I'd be lying if I said his hits on returners didn't have me jumping around, screaming like a little kid in a toy store for the first time.

CPHawk

Reaction score
I can find 80 guys with the same speed, jumping and strength of Jerry Rice, Wes Welker and Steve Largent, but none of them are anywhere near the player those three are/were. Football players are a lot different from track guys like Lockette.