Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

A telling ram stat

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
A telling ram stat
Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:27 pm
  • Rams are 2-4 when Gurley touches the ball less then 20 times.

Rams are 7-0 with 20+ touches.

So, when they pound the rock and set up Play action, they are undefeated. When they just pass, they are sub .500 team.

0-1 vs Hawks as well.
    Last edited by Shanegotyou11 on Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

Re: A telling ram stat
Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:40 pm
  • Shanegotyou11 wrote:Rams are 2-4 when Hurley touches the ball less then 20 times.

So, when they pound the rock and set up Play action, they are undefeated. When they just pass, they are sub .500 team.

0-1 vs Hawks as well.

I guarantee Hurley isn't getting the ball 20 times.
    FlyHawksFly
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:45 pm
  • Give her the damn ball, I say.

Mindsink
    NET Starter

Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:47 pm
  • Mindsink wrote:Give her the damn ball, I say.

She's so girly.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:56 pm
  • Man why does it always get changed.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:00 pm
  • Shanegotyou11 wrote:Rams are 2-4 when Gurley touches the ball less then 20 times.

0-1 vs Hawks as well.

My belief of ‘no stat stands alone’ is alive and well. While Gurley has shown that he can carry a win by himself it’s hardly so easy as to just make sure he touches it 20+ times for a win. This kind of stat is influenced directly by having a lead late in games and running the ball runs the clock. In 3 of those games they were coasting to a 25+ point victory in the 4th qtr. and in one more they held a 10 point lead in the 4th while their D held the opponent to only 3 points for the last 3 qtrs.
    He’s always a factor but that stat is only impressive on the surface.
    ~ HOLY CATFISH ~
    MD5eahawks
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:19 pm
  • MD5eahawks wrote:
    Shanegotyou11 wrote:Rams are 2-4 when Gurley touches the ball less then 20 times.

0-1 vs Hawks as well.

My belief of ‘no stat stands alone’ is alive and well. While Gurley has shown that he can carry a win by himself it’s hardly so easy as to just make sure he touches it 20+ times for a win. This kind of stat is influenced directly by having a lead late in games and running the ball runs the clock. In 3 of those games they were coasting to a 25+ point victory in the 4th qtr. and in one more they held a 10 point lead in the 4th while their D held the opponent to only 3 points for the last 3 qtrs.

Very well said, you nailed it. It's kind of a "chicken or the egg?" discussion. I'm siding with your view.
    JimmyG
    NET Rookie

Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:39 pm
  • MD5eahawks wrote:
    Shanegotyou11 wrote:Rams are 2-4 when Gurley touches the ball less then 20 times.

0-1 vs Hawks as well.

Great response. Now did they have that lead solely on passing or was it rushing as well? If it was just passing, then it makes it moot. If he was rushing as well then it isn't moot.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:18 pm
  • Shanegotyou11 wrote:
    MD5eahawks wrote:

0-1 vs Hawks as well.

Great response. Now did they have that lead solely on passing or was it rushing as well? If it was just passing, then it makes it moot. If he was rushing as well then it isn't moot.

You can’t base soley on one side because they use him on screens as well.

One example-
    Vs Colts 19 rushes for 40 yrds, & 5 rec for 56 yrds
    Final score 46-9 Defense scored 2 TDs & a safety. Nobody on offense was much of a factor. They were having their way defensively.

Here’s a game that he was a big factor then they leaned on him to run the clock.
    Vs Jags 10 out of the last 14 plays they ran in the 4th qtr were runs. 9 from Gurley for 37 yrds. Two plays were kneel downs and one was a FG. He had 24 touches total.
    ~ HOLY CATFISH ~
    MD5eahawks
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:21 pm
  • MD5eahawks wrote:
    Shanegotyou11 wrote:
    MD5eahawks wrote:

0-1 vs Hawks as well.

You can’t base soley on one side because they use him on screens as well.

One example-
    Vs Colts 19 rushes for 40 yrds, & 5 rec for 56 yrds
    Final score 46-9 Defense scored 2 TDs & a safety. Nobody on offense was much of a factor. They were having their way defensively.

Here’s a game that he was a big factor then they leaned on him to run the clock.
    Vs Jags 10 out of the last 14 plays they ran in the 4th qtr were runs. 9 from Gurley for 37 yrds. Two plays were kneel downs and one was a FG. He had 24 touches total.

Yea he is a major factor. Hope wags plays.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:55 am
  • People get the causal direction on this wrong all the time.

Teams don't win because they run more.

They run more because they're winning.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:03 am
  • Popeyejones wrote:People get the causal direction on this wrong all the time.

Agreed. This is such a useless stat. It's almost like saying the Seahawks are 8-0 when they score more points than the other team.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:13 am
  • Seanhawk wrote:
    Popeyejones wrote:People get the causal direction on this wrong all the time.

Agreed. This is such a useless stat. It's almost like saying the Seahawks are 8-0 when they score more points than the other team.

I'll go so far as saying that the two stats are loosely related, but yeah, straight up causation is a bit of a stretch. It's like the old one about the Cowboys, who won 90% of the time (or whatever) when Dorsett ran for 100 yards. Well, the Seahawks used to win a lot when (the real) Curt Warner did that, too. Stats like that are "true" of most teams for most games.

If you're gaining 1-2 yds/carry, it is unlikely that trying it 25 times is going to help your cause. ;)
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:03 am
  • I don't think this is a useless stat. It basically says that if you shut down the run game and put it into Goff's hands, we'll win.

If Gurley breaks off some big runs. 10 or 20 yard chunks at times, the Rams will stick to the run game. That's a problem for us
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:42 am
  • Agreed, a meaningless stat.

Teams simply run the ball when they are winning and throw the ball when they are losing.

Let me guess, teams probably run the least against the Pats and Eagles. And teams rush the ball a lot against the Browns.
    Hawk-Lock
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:35 am
  • Its not really meaningless stat at all. It can be dissected into parts. Lynch ran the ball a lot for us and game was tied or we were down a possession.
    Shanegotyou11
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:51 am
  • As mentioned earlier, misleading Stat.
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:01 am
  • Let's test the theory and just run it 20 times in a row and see how it goes. :mrgreen:
    adeltaY
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:16 pm
  • Hawk-Lock wrote:Agreed, a meaningless stat.

Teams simply run the ball when they are winning and throw the ball when they are losing.

Let me guess, teams probably run the least against the Pats and Eagles. And teams rush the ball a lot against the Browns.

I doubt it's that cut and dry

If a team ends up in a lot of 2nd & 9, 3rd & 8, chances are that's a passing team. And chances are, the defense shut down your running game.

So I don't think it's simply about winning or losing. Beat the Rams by scoring first and forcing them to throw the ball more with Goff. Or, keep a low scoring game but force them to pass because they can't run the ball at all. Make them give up on the run and run it less than 20 times. If I'm Pete and I see this stat, my number one goal is stopping Gurley.

Only problem with that is, Maxwell will definitely be challenged this week
    Scorpion05
    NET Veteran

Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:54 pm
  • We're actually not a great running team TBH. I think McVay knows this and has slowly transitioned to a pass first offense that offers Gurley a ton of check down opportunities to get his touches.

After the Eagles game, some Rams fans said we should have given Gurley the ball more - ironically enough, our last true offensive drive of the game, we started with a run to Gurley - we lost 4 yards - and it killed our drive completely.
    Ramfan128
    NET Veteran

It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:33 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information