Quarterback options for 2024

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Already Seahawks

THE INCUMBENT

Geno Smith - Plus leader, a plus locker room influence. Has played (IN SEATTLE) at a level ranging from top-6 for very brief stretches to top-20 at worst, likely hovering around 14-18 overall currently. Mainly a pocket passer. Confident, unafraid of tight windows with above average arm strength and generally good accuracy. Has issues when offense relies on him pressing the ball downfield without a secondary option of moving the chains. Adept pocket movement, conservative scrambler. You'll hear different opinions on how clutch he is, but I think he's down the middle. He's not Brady, but he is certainly capable of showing up when he has to. Multiple GW drives this year, Rams 2021, etc.

On a stopgap contract that pays him fairly commensurately to his actual play, with a clean out after this season. 32.

THE BACKUP
Drew Lock - Physically gifted, strong armed quarterback who has regressed since entering the league. Can throw a seam with authority. Mixed bag deep accuracy. Issues with processing defenses and line calls (preseason 2022 - game ended on missed line call, sack fumble. preseason 2022 - 2 interceptions vs. Dallas, one dropped interception). Personality is whimsical and light-hearted, may not be an overly competitive player but that's not based on anything but vibes. Can supplement his game with savvy scrambling, especially adept up the middle. Inefficient, but has ceiling and theoretically could develop in a starting role. You could be getting anything with Drew if you need to start him, but I'd expect a passer who'll have a roughly equal TD/INT split and a few wins that he games out, but I don't think he has the general skillset to succeed on a level that Geno has so far. Never say never.

Cheap, backup-type contract. One year, no strings. Gotta re-sign him if you want him back. 27.

Free Agents
Kirk Cousins - This is the most interesting possible acquisition. Kirk has a reputation as a guy who won't win you stuff in the postseason, but I don't think this is really based on anything other than his unfortunate drafting by Washington. He joined the Vikings at a time when Zimmer was wearing out his welcome, but put forth strong individual seasons despite the teams hovering around .500. Under Kevin O'Connell, Kirk was given a higher volume of attempts. Initially, his efficiency suffered, and he put up a 92.5 passer rating. Not shabby, but his previous 3 seasons were at 107.4, 105.0, and 103.1. This year, he was on pace for 38TD/10INT and close to 5000 passing yards.

Kirk doesn't get his due. He is legitimately very good. These stats, over such a sustained period, do not lie.

Kirk is a pocket passer who will not give you much on the ground. He can fit the ball where he needs to. Competitive, cerebral, throwback quarterback. Makes good decisions. Gets the ball out, and to the optimal target.

This would be a premium acquisition, for a premium price, with the intention of deep postseason runs. He generally has taken less than market value in exchange for full guarantees on his contract. You're probably ponying up $45-50M APY for 2 or 3 years, unless he is a big fan of the fit. Could take a discount due to his team-friendly personality. Significant chance of him deciding to return to Minnesota, but far from a sure thing. 34.

Ryan Tannehill - Tannehill has been supplanted by Will Levis in Tennessee, who relieved him when he went out to injury. The front office was apparently a fan of Tannehill when he came out. Pete Carroll was seen giggling at his impressive combine throws.
Tannehill is a vet who didn't come into his own until Tennessee, where he had King Henry taking pressure off of him. Tannehill was quite bad in 2023 before his injury, going 2TD/6INT and then suffering a high ankle sprain and being relegated to backup status. Likely washed at this stage of his career and a downgrade from Geno Smith.
He likely will not have significant interest and I don't expect him to garner more than $10M APY. 35.

Joshua Dobbs - Dobbs has been passed around more than a lot lizard at a truck stop, but has experienced a career resurgence in 2023 playing for the Cardinals and then the Vikings in lieu of an injured Kirk Cousins.
The "Passtronaut" is an aerospace engineer and a highly intelligent man, but isn't an especially cerebral quarterback in play style. He's athletic and adept at scrambling around for gains/rush avoidance, and is a competent passer, but isn't especially structured. His resurgence has him playing ball that is fringe top-20 for starters. Prototypical body at 6'3" 220. Has never started a full season.
He will likely come cheap in free agency. A fringe starter/backup contract gets it done. 28.

Jameis Winston - Former first overall pick Famous Jameis Winston has not lived up to his draft slot. He has shown an ability to produce, but he chucks interceptions like no ones business. Put up a 5100 yard season in Tampa Bay with, get this, 33TD/30INT. Has played decently in spurts in New Orleans. Kind of an odd dude.
Backup money. Won't be brought in as a starter, almost surely. 29.

Baker Mayfield - Former first overall pick. Fiery personality that has hurt him at times. A bust, but a low-tier starter with moments of potential shining through. Highly inconsistent. Can move around, has a plus arm. Likely a bottom third starter for the rest of his career, unless he can mentally keep himself on track and unlock more potential. Low-tier money. 28.

POTENTIAL DRAFTEES
Will not go in depth on each prospect, but a general range for where they seem like they'll go:
Caleb Williams - First overall
Drake Maye - Top 5
Jayden Daniels - 5-100 overall
Michael Penix Jr - 15-100 overall
Bo Nix - 15-120 overall
Quinn Ewers - 20-120 overall*
JJ McCarthy - 32-150 overall
Michael Pratt - 64-160 overall
Jordan Travis - 100-200 overall
Cameron Ward - 100-250 overall
Jalon Daniels - 120-250 overall
KJ Jefferson - 120-250 overall
Will Howard - 150-250 overall
DJ Uiagalelei - 150-250 overall

*Ewers likely is returning to school, according to reports.

Last edited:

Xxx

Reaction score
Already Seahawks

THE INCUMBENT

Geno Smith - Plus leader, a plus locker room influence. Has played (IN SEATTLE) at a level ranging from top-6 for very brief stretches to top-20 at worst, likely hovering around 14-18 overall currently. Mainly a pocket passer. Confident, unafraid of tight windows with above average arm strength and generally good accuracy. Has issues when offense relies on him pressing the ball downfield without a secondary option of moving the chains. Adept pocket movement, conservative scrambler. You'll hear different opinions on how clutch he is, but I think he's down the middle. He's not Brady, but he is certainly capable of showing up when he has to. Multiple GW drives this year, Rams 2021, etc.

On a stopgap contract that pays him fairly commensurately to his actual play, with a clean out after this season. 32.

THE BACKUP
Drew Lock - Physically gifted, strong armed quarterback who has regressed since entering the league. Can throw a seam with authority. Mixed bag deep accuracy. Issues with processing defenses and line calls (preseason 2022 - game ended on missed line call, sack fumble. preseason 2022 - 2 interceptions vs. Dallas, one dropped interception). Personality is whimsical and light-hearted, may not be an overly competitive player but that's not based on anything but vibes. Can supplement his game with savvy scrambling, especially adept up the middle. Inefficient, but has ceiling and theoretically could develop in a starting role. You could be getting anything with Drew if you need to start him, but I'd expect a passer who'll have a roughly equal TD/INT split and a few wins that he games out, but I don't think he has the general skillset to succeed on a level that Geno has so far. Never say never.

Cheap, backup-type contract. One year, no strings. Gotta re-sign him if you want him back. 27.

Free Agents
Kirk Cousins - This is the most interesting possible acquisition. Kirk has a reputation as a guy who won't win you stuff in the postseason, but I don't think this is really based on anything other than his unfortunate drafting by Washington. He joined the Vikings at a time when Zimmer was wearing out his welcome, but put forth strong individual seasons despite the teams hovering around .500. Under Kevin O'Connell, Kirk was given a higher volume of attempts. Initially, his efficiency suffered, and he put up a 92.5 passer rating. Not shabby, but his previous 3 seasons were at 107.4, 105.0, and 103.1. This year, he was on pace for 38TD/10INT and close to 5000 passing yards.

Kirk doesn't get his due. He is legitimately very good. These stats, over such a sustained period, do not lie.

Kirk is a pocket passer who will not give you much on the ground. He can fit the ball where he needs to. Competitive, cerebral, throwback quarterback. Makes good decisions. Gets the ball out, and to the optimal target.

This would be a premium acquisition, for a premium price, with the intention of deep postseason runs. He generally has taken less than market value in exchange for full guarantees on his contract. You're probably ponying up $45-50M APY for 2 or 3 years, unless he is a big fan of the fit. Could take a discount due to his team-friendly personality. Significant chance of him deciding to return to Minnesota, but far from a sure thing. 34.

Ryan Tannehill - Tannehill has been supplanted by Will Levis in Tennessee, who relieved him when he went out to injury. The front office was apparently a fan of Tannehill when he came out. Pete Carroll was seen giggling at his impressive combine throws.
Tannehill is a vet who didn't come into his own until Tennessee, where he had King Henry taking pressure off of him. Tannehill was quite bad in 2023 before his injury, going 2TD/6INT and then suffering a high ankle sprain and being relegated to backup status. Likely washed at this stage of his career and a downgrade from Geno Smith.
He likely will not have significant interest and I don't expect him to garner more than $10M APY. 35.

Joshua Dobbs - Dobbs has been passed around more than a lot lizard at a truck stop, but has experienced a career resurgence in 2023 playing for the Cardinals and then the Vikings in lieu of an injured Kirk Cousins.
The "Passtronaut" is an aerospace engineer and a highly intelligent man, but isn't an especially cerebral quarterback in play style. He's athletic and adept at scrambling around for gains/rush avoidance, and is a competent passer, but isn't especially structured. His resurgence has him playing ball that is fringe top-20 for starters. Prototypical body at 6'3" 220. Has never started a full season.
He will likely come cheap in free agency. A fringe starter/backup contract gets it done. 28.

Jameis Winston - Former first overall pick Famous Jameis Winston has not lived up to his draft slot. He has shown an ability to produce, but he chucks interceptions like no ones business. Put up a 5100 yard season in Tampa Bay with, get this, 33TD/30INT. Has played decently in spurts in New Orleans. Kind of an odd dude.
Backup money. Won't be brought in as a starter, almost surely. 29.

POTENTIAL DRAFTEES
Will not go in depth on each prospect, but a general range for where they seem like they'll go:
Caleb Williams - First overall
Drake Maye - Top 5
Jayden Daniels - 5-100 overall
Michael Penix Jr - 15-100 overall
Bo Nix - 15-120 overall
Quinn Ewers - 20-120 overall*
JJ McCarthy - 32-150 overall
Michael Pratt - 64-160 overall
Jordan Travis - 100-200 overall
Cameron Ward - 100-250 overall
Jalon Daniels - 120-250 overall
KJ Jefferson - 120-250 overall
Will Howard - 150-250 overall
DJ Uiagalelei - 150-250 overall

*Ewers likely is returning to school, according to reports.
Cousins no
Tannehill no
Dobbs, geno again?
Winston no

Penix… call me a homer…

Xxx

Reaction score
I'd take Cousins. He's legit top-10. Can't lock yourself in for too long, though. Approaching the back half of his 30s. Best QB on this list, save for the unknown future rookies.
I’ve never watched the hawks play against cousins and worried. Always felt like we could get him to throw it up for grabs.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I love Cousins and think he’s highly underrated. I also like a ton of the draft picks. I’ve been hard in Geno but ideally he’d play himself into must keep territory

CactusJack

Reaction score
Cousins would be an upgrade but I'm not sure Minnesota will let him go.

None of the other potential free agents (Tannehill, Baker, Winston) are an upgrade over Geno.

Caleb & Drake aren't really realistic options.

Penix would be the popular choice. I'm not really sold on the other prospects.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
I'm fine with Cousins but doubt we get him. Some other team will surely offer more. We're probably looking at more Geno and a draftee who won't start right away (if ever).

CPHawk

Reaction score
Nix, penix, dj U
DJ U, only if we plan on moving him to TE.

If we can land cousins, and draft Travis in the 4th round. That would flip our QB room and be a home run.

I’d also be cool with signing cousins and Fields.

It would also allow us to use our 1sr on a LB or safety, both of which are big areas of need this off season.

Last edited:

Seahawkwalt1967

Reaction score
Nice thread..
Geno-time to move on
Lock- No. He’s had 2 years here to become a better qb but goes out and lays an egg.
I love Cousins as well.

Draft -don’t be surprised if we draft Rattler. I know I’m in the minority, but he has a legit arm. He doesn’t seem to be the same arrogant, brash person he was at Oklahoma.
I really like Brady Cook from Missouri..

seabowl

Reaction score
DJ U, only if we plan on moving him to TE.

If we can land cousins, and draft Travis in the 4th round. That would flip our QB room and be a home run.

I’d also be cool with signing cousins and Fields.

It would also allow us to use our 1sr on a LB or safety, both of which are big areas of need this off season.
Fields is interesting. However, I believe he is still under contract and would need to be traded. Also, not sure if Seahawks management wants to have to train a QB, or get someone experienced as they are in the win now mode.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Cousins will get paid huge if he hits the market. Likely Vegas or perhaps New England. In a league where there is so many bad starting qb's Cousins will be very expensive. Seahawks won't pay it. As for the rest simply put none are an upgrade over Geno.

I'm not much into college ball but I read somewhere Penix has had a few serious injuries? True?

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Cousins will get paid huge if he hits the market. Likely Vegas or perhaps New England. In a league where there is so many bad starting qb's Cousins will be very expensive. Seahawks won't pay it. As for the rest simply put none are an upgrade over Geno.

I'm not much into college ball but I read somewhere Penix has had a few serious injuries? True?
Years ago at IU he tore his ACL twice and had a shoulder injury
but he ran a lot more back then.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Penix or the LSU qb seem like good options after Friday's game.