Football Outsiders: Hawks run game could be best of all time

kearly

Reaction score
Seattle entered Week 10 with the NFL's best rushing attack by DVOA, and that was before their 350-yard outburst against the Giants. Their rushing offense DVOA is now a stratospheric 37.2%. That is so far ahead of everyone else this season it's hard to make a comparison. The second-ranked rushing team, New Orleans, has a DVOA of just 12.3%. That's closer to 23rd-ranked Jacksonville (-12.5%) than it is to Seattle. In fact, if Seattle can maintain that level (which of course would be very hard to do), they would finish as the top rushing offense in DVOA history, beating out the 36.5% of Marshall Faulk's 2000 Rams.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/quick- ... uick-reads

The writer also makes a statistical case that Lynch should at least be considered as an MVP candidate in 2014. In addition to his excellence on the ground, he also leads all Seahawks pass catchers in DYAR (!).

DeMarco Murray leads the NFL in rushing DYAR of course, but Lynch has become a close second. In third place? None other than Russell Wilson.

Cartire

Reaction score
Evil_Shenanigans":3go8bujq said:
Now if people can just refrain from giving our running attack a nickname.

The greatest legion on turf of all time blue eaters.

I think it will stick.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
I remember we were supposed to ride a similar train to the Lombardi back in 2005. That dream ended with dropped passes.

RunTheBall

Reaction score
But our running game isn't as good as last year... this forum said so.

RunTheBall

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":122n9v36 said:
I remember we were supposed to ride a similar train to the Lombardi back in 2005. That dream ended with dropped passes.
More like ended with bad officiating. Can you just go away if the Seahawks win this weekend? I mean you are saying we're gonna get blown out in KC... Are you even a fan?

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
RunTheBall":kmprux0b said:
MontanaHawk05":kmprux0b said:
Are you even a fan?

Don't even start down that path, friend. I don't need a review board for my opinions.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Wilson is a huge reason the run game looks better this year.

15th best rusher in the league and number one in yards per carry.

and of course beast

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
I have said this for a while but the most important player on this team for the past 4 years has been Marshawn Lynch - without a doubt. He elevates the whole offense from the dumpster. When the offensive line was trash 2 years ago - Lynch would routinely turn negative plays into positive gains - giving our offense a chance. Any lesser RB would have just been stuffed. He also took enough pressure off our passing game to let Russell Wilson thrive and could get the first downs in crunch time to take the pressure off the defense. He is an ELITE talent and someone we should keep around for a couple more seasons.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Tap the brakes. Two games apiece against the SF and AZ run defenses will change all this.

bigwrm

Reaction score
Also from that article: if you take out Wilson's kneeldowns, he's averaging 9.6 ypc. Bonkers.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
This talk is so reminiscent of Wilson's final year of college. RW was an early Heisman candidate then the running game came on strong and Ball supplant him as a contender for Heisman. They both lose out and Wisconsin also loses its bowl game against Oregon.
I sincerely hope the focus on MVP doesn't derail the team's true goal which is another ring.
But to be honest Marshawn's chances are slim considering what Luck, Brady and Rodgers are doing. Also Murray has 1233 yds/5.1 per carry to Marshawn's 689 yds/4.1 per carry.

HawkWow

Reaction score
I'd love to see Lynch get that MVP but he's going to need a herculean effort + the rest of the way for that to be even remotely feasible. Luck is a lock! And of course I just said that to wrinkle a few panties.

Lynch had that dry spell (TD wise) last month and I can't see him making that up against the teeth of our schedule. He'd probably need 3 times the TDs he has now to surpass the likes of Brady etc. imo.

So screw the MVP, let's continue to get him 20 touches while preserving him for what really matters. That, while getting Michael some quality carries. We need to see what we have with this yoyo whether we retain Lynch or not.

Funny, as I type this they just showed a trailer for some upcoming show on Czonka, Kick and Morris.
That could easily be us. Lynch = Czonka. Turbin could be our Kick and Michael shares too many similarities with Morris to ignore (anyone that knows the chronicles of Mercury Morris will likely know what I am referring to). I am extremely confident in Lynch and Turbin and if Michael can hang on to the ball and improve his pass-pro, I'd love to see this group together again next year.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":7z26sczj said:

This year's running game is way better. But yeah, it would surprise no one if the current Seahawks missed the playoffs at 10-6.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
It's also difficult to say Marshawn should win MVP over Murray and even debatable that Seattle's running game is all about Beastmode when Marshawn has THE TOP RUSHING QB IN THE LEAGUE who also happens to be the number 15th leading rusher.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":35fxsuf1 said:
Tap the brakes. Two games apiece against the SF and AZ run defenses will change all this.

Arizona will be tough for sure, but their run D is ranked below Denver and St. Louis, two teams that Seattle ran well against.

SF ranks only 21st in run defense per FO. And Lynch owns SF.

Also, it's pretty amazing that Seattle's rush offense has gotten this high despite being a relatively pass heavy team this season until just last week. It seems like a safe bet that Seattle is going to have a lot more carries per game over the final seven than they did over the first nine.

Not saying they get the record, but I do think we are in the midst of an insane rushing season. Reminds me of the Tom Cable Falcons with the DVD offense. But even better.