Initial thoughts on game 3

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
aawolf":2xm38pqx said:
I disagree with kearly's take that he hasn't faced adversity yet like he will in the NFL against a prime D-line. I heard similar comments from talking heads today. The dude, a fourth round draft pick, playing in his third game in the NFL, just moved the ball steadily down the field a few times against the best first-string defense in the country. That's not pressure? He was getting hit too, and he got back up and kept slinging it. All the naysayers (not you, kearly, but some talking heads I heard this morning), be like "It won't always be this easy, wait till he has pressure." I don't know about you, but I consider playing for your job on national TV against the greatest defense in the country to be neither easy nor without pressure. The kid is special and I hope the Cowboys stupidly trade him so that I can openly pull for him. Seriously, anywhere but with the Cowboys will do.

Prescott has poise and accuracy. Behind that line, he is a star in the making. However, he also made some rookie decisions that he got away with (he had 2-3 passes that should have been picked, including his TD). He also had ALL-DAY to throw on 3rd and long consistently in the first half. In the second half the Cowboys swapped out their starters on the OL and Prescott looked ineffective. Even with all that protection, he still finished the game with only about 5 yards per attempt. It was a crap ton of dinking and dunking.

He passes the eyeball test no doubt and is one of the most impressive rookie QBs in years. But there are definitely flaws to be found.

Sterling Archer

Reaction score
I watched Prescott a lot in college and always wanted him to be a good player. He would do well and then when I was hoping for him to get over the hump and take the game over he typically failed. That's not to say it's all his fault, but that was what I remembered from his career, promising with a few errors when it mattered.

He has looked impressive so far, especially being helped by the best o-line in football. However, I'm going to reserve "crowning him" until he plays in the regular season for long enough for the defense to be able to game plan against him. We've seen enough QBs come in for a few games and look otherworldly only to never be able to make the next transition.

However if I was a Cowboys fan I would be excited to know that there was a promising prospect coming up behind the oft-injured Romo, especially after the nightmare of last year.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
McGruff":2hg67130 said:
I've heard this story line about the Dallas backup only giving up one TD. I watched the end of the 2nd quarter on and Dallas' starters where in till midway through the 3rd quarter. Sure, they were rotating, just like we were, but that was their starting defense that we put 20 points up against.

Thanks, I hadn't noticed.

I wonder why the dramatic dropoff in run defense? They went from outstanding to horrific.

Good call on Prescott btw.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Was not impressive by the Dallas defense, but other than that, spot on. Ezekiel Elliott is legit. I could see him easily rushing for 1,500 yards behind that offensive line.

The Seahawks offense looked so sharp out of the I-formation. Luke Willson made a great catch. Russell Wilson then connected to Tyler Lockett, who did an amazing job as usual adjusting to the ball. The TD catch by Paul Richardson was almost magical.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":1vkedsu2 said:
I just watched nearly 2 hours of NFL Insiders/NFL Live this morning & I now firmly feel an NFL BIAS against the Seahawks. In the nearly 2 hours of coverage, the Seahawks were directly talked about for maybe all of 2 minutes. Dallas, however was talked about for probably over 20, 25 minutes out of the 60. Every crappy East coast team got more press than the Seahawks. What a bunch of BS. The BIAS is indeed very real.

During the 2 minutes they actually spoke of the Seahawks, the analyst(?) basically said that all Seattle has is a good defense and a QB that runs around like a headless chicken doing nothing but "unscripted" plays. What a load of crap.
It isn't necessarily the NFL but rather Eastcoastbiased Sports Programming Network and the fact that our Hawks were playing the Cowpatties whom all media slobber over because they still bring ratings. Eventually though, that won't be the case as there's already one generation of football fans that don't see them as anything more than a poor franchise that rarely makes the playoffs.

Fade

Reaction score
ludakrishna":2bg5u7k8 said:
The Schedule may be "softer", but we start off with the following Dline players in our first 4 games, Ndamukong Suh, Aaron Donald, Analyst are raving at the 49ers front 4 and then we finish off with the Jets who have Wilkerson, Richardson and William. Oline has their work cut out for them.

Good Point.

I got caught up in just looking at the overall opponent, but they actually face some stout D-Lines.

two dog

Reaction score
Thanks Kearly, great insight, as always.

The thing I remember most about Dak Prescott from college is that he reminded
me of Tyler Lockett more than of any other QB. I say that because for three years he
was the best weapon the Bulldogs had and still was not contained.
He was dangerous running the ball in college but hardly needs to carry any of that load now.

Tyler Lockett was not only the best, he was the ONLY weapon for the Wildcats, and
nobody stopped him all year.

For pro football fans who do not watch college ball, they are missing out IMHO.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
kearly":3vsx5ffq said:
One thing that made our pass rush look worse than it really is in the first half- Dallas' OL has mastered the art of the borderline hold.

I've been telling folks this same thing, they are great at holding at the right time and away from the ref, we need our oline to be learning this technique lol

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
kearly":27pipyet said:
ImTheScientist":27pipyet said:
I agree..... Kearly sounds like a cowgirls fan.

Just a fan of good football and good football players. I watched every preseason game in week 1 around the league and have watched non-Hawks games in week 2. I have a threads up in the NFL forum with observations from those games. I love the Seahawks but I also love football.

A couple of weeks ago, I recorded the KC game. I recorded last weeks too, and over wrote that game with this weeks game. I was thinking about changing perspectives and wanted to see what it looks like from a fan of a different team looking at our team. I was thinking about being a fan of KC for that game as I relook at that game. What do you think about this perspective?

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
kearly":38r9ynkv said:
aawolf":38r9ynkv said:
I disagree with kearly's take that he hasn't faced adversity yet like he will in the NFL against a prime D-line. I heard similar comments from talking heads today. The dude, a fourth round draft pick, playing in his third game in the NFL, just moved the ball steadily down the field a few times against the best first-string defense in the country. That's not pressure? He was getting hit too, and he got back up and kept slinging it. All the naysayers (not you, kearly, but some talking heads I heard this morning), be like "It won't always be this easy, wait till he has pressure." I don't know about you, but I consider playing for your job on national TV against the greatest defense in the country to be neither easy nor without pressure. The kid is special and I hope the Cowboys stupidly trade him so that I can openly pull for him. Seriously, anywhere but with the Cowboys will do.

Prescott has poise and accuracy. Behind that line, he is a star in the making. However, he also made some rookie decisions that he got away with (he had 2-3 passes that should have been picked, including his TD). He also had ALL-DAY to throw on 3rd and long consistently in the first half. In the second half the Cowboys swapped out their starters on the OL and Prescott looked ineffective. Even with all that protection, he still finished the game with only about 5 yards per attempt. It was a crap ton of dinking and dunking.

He passes the eyeball test no doubt and is one of the most impressive rookie QBs in years. But there are definitely flaws to be found.

I agree on Kearly with this one, once he didn't have the starting o-line he was ineffective. It was also said that through training camp he took the 1st team reps with all the starters so he got a jump start from the beginning. He's good I'll give him that, but give him an average O-line and see what happens. Teams will now have game tape on him even if it's preseason to see his tendency. Those near INT will be be his down fall once defenses knows what he will be doing. There have been many quarterbacks that had looked good for a bit only to disappear and be an afterthought. Just look at Sam Bradford, Nick Foles, Matt Flynn, Kaep, the list goes on and on.

Elliot was good too, I read that Kam said he's never seen game tape on him so the two times they came to blow he underestimated him, now that he knows I bet you he wraps him up instead.

mrt144

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":qyqpc5af said:
kearly":qyqpc5af said:
ImTheScientist":qyqpc5af said:
I agree..... Kearly sounds like a cowgirls fan.

Just a fan of good football and good football players. I watched every preseason game in week 1 around the league and have watched non-Hawks games in week 2. I have a threads up in the NFL forum with observations from those games. I love the Seahawks but I also love football.

A couple of weeks ago, I recorded the KC game. I recorded last weeks too, and over wrote that game with this weeks game. I was thinking about changing perspectives and wanted to see what it looks like from a fan of a different team looking at our team. I was thinking about being a fan of KC for that game as I relook at that game. What do you think about this perspective?

Sounds interesting assuming opposing fans are even half as smart and handsome and awesome as we are ;)

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
I am not impressed by anyone until they start doing it in the regular season. I am not saying any of these rookies will not be good but lets relax they hyperbole a bit. ITS PRESEASON.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Webb looked better than Sowell in the pass blocking game to me. Looked like his footwork got him into place and he did a good job of holding edge rushers off for just enough for Wilson to get the ball off.

Interior OL created some nice pockets, too. Dallas has a mediocre DL, but after last year, this performance against a mediocre DL is good.

A

Anonymous

Smellyman":212krw69 said:
hyperbole in this thread is off the charts

Define "hyperbole" for me Smelly.

Like, as if I was your child.

McGruff

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":27hc6xgl said:
Webb looked better than Sowell in the pass blocking game to me. Looked like his footwork got him into place and he did a good job of holding edge rushers off for just enough for Wilson to get the ball off.

Interior OL created some nice pockets, too. Dallas has a mediocre DL, but after last year, this performance against a mediocre DL is good.

I actually thought the opposite. Webb was better at drive blocking and Sowe'll was better dropping into pass pro.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":m3efv29w said:

Im confused, didn't you lose the KC recording in this story? How would you watch the game?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
If Zeke Elliot is so high on weed...the Seahawks should make a trade for him. Hell if he plays like he did yesterday stoned, so be it. If he was wearing Seahawk blue, many folks dissing the Cowboys would be singing a different tune. Dak Prescott too. Both are great picks by Dallas and will have an impact for a long time.

A concern is the Seahawk starting defense hasn't played well all preseason. They seem out of sync for whatever reason. Hopefully they get it corrected before the season begins.

Why is Gilliam at RT if he's supposed to be playing LT? Let him take his lumps in preseason and learn the position if he's future. I don't understand all the shifting of players Cable does...it doesn't make any sense at all. The interior of the line looks good though so that's a plus.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
kearly":maaodlgy said:
Seahawkfan80":maaodlgy said:

Im confused, didn't you lose the KC recording in this story? How would you watch the game?

Sorry....I kept the Kc game and got a different dvd rw disc for the second game. Recorded over the second game. Because we had some dotnetters at the KC game, kept it so I could do some stuff with it. I have about 50 DVD R....and About 49 DVD RWs. Using them to record and if I like the game, save it. Not sure what to do about the few that are gonna be during hunting season.