Cards Fan Here

CardsForever

Reaction score
Hey Guys, I come in peace. Looking to chat with some passionate Seahawks fans about tomorrow's game. Here's to an injury free game and may the best team win!

I have to say that I am a bit nervous that the Cards will not be able to match the intensity that the Seahawks will surely have tomorrow (A divisional game...At home...With their backs against the wall in an essentially must win game). Those are tough circumstances to overcome for any team. It's almost as if the roles have reversed for these two teams this year (Last year it was the Cardinals who absolutely needed a win in Seattle and somehow they found a way).

Seattle is favored in this game and for good reason. Though I am very confident in Drew Stanton, the reality is he has played better at home this season (like many qbs). On the bright side, this Cardinals team is built to win not by superb qb play, but by a stingy defense and smart football (the Cards are currently +11 in the turnover battle - that's 3rd in the league).

To state the obvious this game comes down to the running game. Will Beast Mode continue his dominance even without Unger...And against a stout defensive? Will Andre Ellington be able to find daylight behind mediocre guard play?

I think the answer to those two questions will go along way in determining the outcome of this game. I'm not ready to predict a final score but I do like the Cardinals chances to pull off the upset. Many continue to write off Drew Stanton but he just finds ways to win. In his 5 appearances this season the Cards have gone 4-1 (with the 1 loss being in Denver in which he essentially did not play the second half due to a concussion). I think if Seattle wins it will be by 7 or less. I don't see a lot of points coming for either team.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Nice post, CF. It's refreshing to see folks from other team's fan base come into another team's turf to talk football and do so with class.

For my part, I never thought of the Cards as being serious contenders even though they beat us at home last year. I thought that if any team broke the stranglehold the Hawks and Niners have had on the division, that it would be the Rams. I kept waiting for the Cards bubble to burst, but it hasn't happened.

But you have my attention now. Indeed, a 3 game lead in the division with an inside track to HFA in a year that you're hosting the SB. Gotta be pretty exciting.

BTW, I am going down to Glendale for the Hawks-Cards game next month and might want some advice. Please hang around.

King Dog

Reaction score
Welcome. This is what I want to see tomorrow.
KxZFjHN.gif

HansGruber

Reaction score
I think the cardinals are going to win the superbowl this season regardless of what happens tomorrow.

And welcome to the board.

King Dog

Reaction score
HansGruber":2f7y73st said:
I think the cardinals are going to win the superbowl this season regardless of what happens tomorrow.

With Stanton? Lol

firebee

Reaction score
King Dog":10o7z0fe said:
HansGruber":10o7z0fe said:

With Stanton? Lol

I wouldn't laugh... Stanton at QB is almost an advantage for the Cards. Not much film on him... don't know his tendencies and he's more mobile than Palmer. I would've almost rather faced the Cards with Palmer at QB. I wouldn't go writing off a QB just because you haven't heard a lot about them. I remember when a lot of people did that with these other quarterbacks... I think you might've heard of them... Tom Brady, Russell Wilson, Brian Hoyer, Rich Gannon and Doug Flutie. A QB doesn't have to be a 1st round pick to be good in the NFL.

King Dog

Reaction score
firebee":2gx8f4xz said:
King Dog":2gx8f4xz said:
HansGruber":2gx8f4xz said:

With Stanton? Lol

I wouldn't laugh... Stanton at QB is almost an advantage for the Cards. Not much film on him... don't know his tendencies and he's more mobile than Palmer. I would've almost rather faced the Cards with Palmer at QB. I wouldn't go writing off a QB just because you haven't heard a lot about them. I remember when a lot of people did that with these other quarterbacks... I think you might've heard of them... Tom Brady, Russell Wilson, Brian Hoyer, Rich Gannon and Doug Flutie. A QB doesn't have to be a 1st round pick to be good in the NFL.

Well. I'm Laughing, and I've heard plenty about him. I live in Phoenix.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
I can't even...

Drew Stanton drawing Tom Brady comparisons ITT. I don't know if my brain will ever recover from reading such a thing.

OP
OP
C

CardsForever

Reaction score
RiverDog":2fsavom9 said:
Nice post, CF. It's refreshing to see folks from other team's fan base come into another team's turf to talk football and do so with class.

For my part, I never thought of the Cards as being serious contenders even though they beat us at home last year. I thought that if any team broke the stranglehold the Hawks and Niners have had on the division, that it would be the Rams. I kept waiting for the Cards bubble to burst, but it hasn't happened.

But you have my attention now. Indeed, a 3 game lead in the division with an inside track to HFA in a year that you're hosting the SB. Gotta be pretty exciting.

BTW, I am going down to Glendale for the Hawks-Cards game next month and might want some advice. Please hang around.

I don't blame you for having reservations about them, they aren't exactly "sexy" on paper especially after all the players they have lost due to injuries or suspensions...But they do possess an intangible called swagger. It's not a loud, boisterous swagger like the Seahawks had last year, it's more of a quiet, calm swagger...The Cardinals players have been quoted as saying they have moved from believing they will win games to knowing they will win games (and that belief started with a win at CLink last year).

And that's great, University of Phoenix stadium is a great place to visit. I suspect their will be a lot of Seahawks fans in attendance.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for the even-keeled post. Truth is, the Cardinals are a very good football team. Good coaching, players have bought in and are playing sound football. While as a Seahawks fan a part of me wants to still not take the Cardinals seriously, I tend to prescribe to Bill Parcell's quote:

You are what your record says you are.

And right now, you are 9-1 like we were at this time last year. Whether that's a prophetic, good omen for you guys or not is yet to be seen. All I know is that the Seahawks had best play like we did against the Packers to start the season to win this football game. If we play closer to what we did against the Cowboys, the game is over before it even starts.

As always, an injury-free game is utmost important. Meaning the Seahawks of course. ;)

If the Seahawks beat the Cardinals tomorrow which I do believe we will, then game on. If the Cardinals beat us tomorrow, I am ready to crown them as the NFC reps in the Super Bowl. And gee, I wonder where the Super Bowl is being played in February?

OP
OP
C

CardsForever

Reaction score
Aros":1ktvqjfk said:
Thanks for the even-keeled post. Truth is, the Cardinals are a very good football team. Good coaching, players have bought in and are playing sound football. While as a Seahawks fan a part of me wants to still not take the Cardinals seriously, I tend to prescribe to Bill Parcell's quote:

And right now, you are 9-1 like we were at this time last year. Whether that's a prophetic, good omen for you guys or not is yet to be seen. All I know is that the Seahawks had best play like we did against the Packers to start the season to win this football game. If we play closer to what we did against the Cowboys, the game is over before it even starts.

As always, an injury-free game is utmost important. Meaning the Seahawks of course. ;)

If the Seahawks beat the Cardinals tomorrow which I do believe we will, then game on. If the Cardinals beat us tomorrow, I am ready to crown them as the NFC reps in the Super Bowl. And gee, I wonder where the Super Bowl is being played in February?

Great post. There are two things I will be paying attention to tomorrow:

1) How strongly will the Cardinals sell out to stop the run? I can see Patrick Peterson & Antonio Cromartie being left on islands the entire game while the other 9 defenders stack the box.

2) How will Drew Stanton respond to adversity? While he came out blazing hot last week against the Lions (2 possessions 2 TD passes) he came flying back down to earth with two picks and looked as if he lost some confidence. That stadium is going to be rocking especially if the Seahawks have the lead.

Gametime

Reaction score
Welcome CF,

I truly respect Arians. Great coach.

I think this game will come down to the Seahawks Red Zone efficiency. In KC it was the difference between a great road win and the heartbreaking loss we witnessed. I think that having Wagner back in the middle is HUGE. I will say for the long haul, I don't know how AZ goes all the way without a running game. This is a match up of Worst in the league rushing vs the #1 team in the league in rushing. Lynch has more rushing yds than AZ as a team! SEA has rushed for just a hair under 1000 MORE yards than the Cards. That's nuts. Playoff games especially tighten up and become about the ground game and controlling the clock while limiting turnovers. If the Hawks make the playoffs and they get healthy they could be just as dangerous as they were last year IMO.

I predict a Hawks win and I'm sincerely hoping for "that" game that changes the trajectory of the season. I thought last week could have been that but our run defense had such an awful game. The one thing that doesn't scare me about the Cards is the ground game though so this week will be more about our offense being able to control the clock and score TD's and not watch a 1st and goal turn into a "How not to throw a fade route" clinic.

Here's to no injuries, good drinks, and a Hawks win!

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Aros":3ljfjk2x said:
While as a Seahawks fan a part of me wants to still not take the Cardinals seriously, I tend to prescribe to Bill Parcell's quote:

I recommend not renewing this prescription. This oft-repeated quote does not pass any rational sniff test.

The NFL plays a 16-game season. Right now we're at 10. We're talking about sample sizes so microscopically small that variance plays a massive part in what a team's record is vs. what it could be. Romanticized notions that teams just will themselves to wins in close games and just fail their way into losses in close games are how many people want things to be, because they want to chalk this up as much as possible to being a game where superior skill and play always carries the day...people want to believe this in spite of the fact that they also see the role that luck obviously plays in important plays in some games. Close games can be, and are, swung on little plays like this. And that doesn't even speak to how luck plays in when it comes to things like us having to play Tony Romo while Arizona got to feast on Brandon frigging Weeden in our respective games against Dallas.

Your record is what ultimately determines your playoff seed, if any. It does not, however, speak to the quality that a team is. The Cardinals are the third-best team in this division and should be laughed off at every possible point. I agree with you that we win this game, but there's no reason to be overly respectful to our division rivals. They're a decent team, good at best, zero chance that they're great.

I really hate that everyone takes such a measured and respectful tone toward these guys as if they're to be treated as anything but another faceless and soulless enemy like San Francisco. Screw the Cardinals.

Cartire

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":1w0867wm said:
Aros":1w0867wm said:
While as a Seahawks fan a part of me wants to still not take the Cardinals seriously, I tend to prescribe to Bill Parcell's quote:

I recommend not renewing this prescription. This oft-repeated quote does not pass any rational sniff test.

The NFL plays a 16-game season. Right now we're at 10. We're talking about sample sizes so microscopically small that variance plays a massive part in what a team's record is vs. what it could be. Romanticized notions that teams just will themselves to wins in close games and just fail their way into losses in close games are how many people want things to be, because they want to chalk this up as much as possible to being a game where superior skill and play always carries the day...people want to believe this in spite of the fact that they also see the role that luck obviously plays in important plays in some games. Close games can be, and are, swung on little plays like this. And that doesn't even speak to how luck plays in when it comes to things like us having to play Tony Romo while Arizona got to feast on Brandon frigging Weeden in our respective games against Dallas.

Your record is what ultimately determines your playoff seed, if any. It does not, however, speak to the quality that a team is. The Cardinals are the third-best team in this division and should be laughed off at every possible point. I agree with you that we win this game, but there's no reason to be overly respectful to our division rivals. They're a decent team, good at best, zero chance that they're great.

I really hate that everyone takes such a measured and respectful tone toward these guys as if they're to be treated as anything but another faceless and soulless enemy like San Francisco. Screw the Cardinals.

Your first paragraph is exactly what I preach. 22 guys with numerous variables attached to every single play. Luck plays way more into close games then people would like to admit.

I think people like to be friendly for 2 reasons.

1) Youre visiting a enemy fan forums and dont want to get the boot
2) Your team has a worse record and therefor play nice for the "Just in Case"

This thread embodies both. Im with you though, screw the cards.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Cartire":33ksb5ro said:
Your first paragraph is exactly what I preach. 22 guys with numerous variables attached to every single play. Luck plays way more into close games then people would like to admit.

I think people like to be friendly for 2 reasons.

1) Youre visiting a enemy fan forums and dont want to get the boot
2) Your team has a worse record and therefor play nice for the "Just in Case"

This thread embodies both. Im with you though, screw the cards.

And don't get me wrong, I have zero problem with an enemy team's poster coming in and joining the conversation here (provided that they're not a troll of course, but this OP seems cool), nor do I even have a problem with anything OP said. He's being more hopeful for his team than I think is warranted, but of course we're both biased by our own team allegiances so there's going to be some natural forces tugging us in each direction.

I just really wish that a bigger majority of this board was posting in a tone of "we don't lose this game unless we blow it and drop the game in an upset." That's the reality of the situation. And I don't even have any big problem with being pessimistic about our own team right now - they've given us plenty of reason for that, and I'm someone who predicted a loss last week and might again on Thanksgiving - but I do hate that people are so cautious about just laughing off the Cardinals' current record.

Ah well; in less than 24 hours people will be more agreeable with what I'm saying right now.

OP
OP
C

CardsForever

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":194h5p24 said:
Aros":194h5p24 said:

I'm not sure that it's fair to say the Cards should be laughed off...Although they may prefer it as they seem to relish the underdog role. As we look back on the 2013 Seahawks I don't think they are an entirely different team (I do think Seattle was way more proficient on offense than the 2014 Cardinals - stats will prove that as well.) However I found these stays interesting:

Last year when Seattle was 9-1 they won 5 of those games by 7 points or less. They had beaten 4 teams with a winning record and their opponents combined wins through 10 games was 41.

The 2014 Cardinals have won 7 of their games by more than 7 points. They have beaten 6 teams with a winning record and their opponents combined wins through 10 games is 51.

Stats can always be misleading but the point is I think the Cardinals have proven themselves to be a quality team. (Unlike the 2013 Chiefs who went 9-0 while not facing a single team with a winning record. They finished 11-5 and those five losses came to teams with at least a .500 record)