Turbin Pick or PI or just running a crossing pattern?

StoneCold

Reaction score
It looks to me that the defender gets a hand on Turbin and then Turbin pushes back with his right hand to the upper chest. I'm guessing that if Turbin keeps his hands down and just runs his route there is no call. Pretty damn ticky tacky none the less.

SC

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
StoneCold":1rkqzt12 said:
It looks to me that the defender gets a hand on Turbin and then Turbin pushes back with his right hand to the upper chest. I'm guessing that if Turbin keeps his hands down and just runs his route there is no call. Pretty damn ticky tacky none the less.

SC
It was a pure horse bleep call. Pete will be getting yet another apology for the NFL for another botched call.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I wonder how many apologies the team has gotten this season?

OP
OP
S

StoneCold

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1qf0fiqb said:
StoneCold":1qf0fiqb said:

SC
It was a pure horse bleep call. Pete will be getting yet another apology for the NFL for another botched call.

Did you actually go back and watch or are you just being a homer?

SC

scutterhawk

Reaction score
jammerhawk":u66lwslj said:
I wonder how many apologies the team has gotten this season?
Not nearly enough, but with the mindset the NFL's big cheese it wouldn't have made damn bit of difference anyways.
The Seahawks have been targeted on DOZENS of key plays in what I think is an attempt to give their opponents a chance to stay relevant.
Of those four losses this Season, two were a legitimate butt whoppin', and two were ticky-tack Officiated crap piles.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I haven't watched the replay of it, but watching it live I thought it was complete bullchit. He did not gain any sort of advantage from the contact, nor did our receiver. It had zero influence on the outcome of the play.

Jacknut16

Reaction score
StoneCold":28lqxb78 said:
Sports Hernia":28lqxb78 said:
StoneCold":28lqxb78 said:

SC

SC

Wait just a minute, are you saying that this wasn't one of the worst calls in the modern era of football, because it was.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
The Broncos live off of that play and it's never called. Even the guys calling the game said it was a ticky tacky call on a bump that had no affect on the play.

OP
OP
S

StoneCold

Reaction score
Jacknut16":2gi3i9tt said:
StoneCold":2gi3i9tt said:
Sports Hernia":2gi3i9tt said:
StoneCold":2gi3i9tt said:

SC

SC

Wait just a minute, are you saying that this wasn't one of the worst calls in the modern era of football, because it was.

I'm saying I don't know and am hoping for some discussion beyond "IT WAS THE WORST CALL" blah blah blah.

What is the rule? Would it have been ok for Turbin to just blow the guy up and knock him on his butt? Turbin pushed the defender. I'm guessing that what is allowed is somewhere between pushing and blowing up. Do you know? Or are you just being a homer?

SC

anonFAFA

Reaction score
The rule is that the defender cannot impede the progress of a receiver running a route... which is what happened, but they called it on Turbin because they thought they saw a pick play which it wasn't.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
You may not want to hear this, but the Hawks got screwed...........royally, completely and totally. Wes Welker can make his living doing this but our guys can't brush up against a defender that initiated contact? Screw the refs and screw Rog for not holding them truly accountable.

blkhwk

Reaction score
To truly be a pick, you have to make contact with the OTHER defender....... Turbin makes contact or has contact made on him with his defender. This could have been illegal contact on SF

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
RiverDog":2kj0f7p6 said:
I haven't watched the replay of it, but watching it live I thought it was complete bullchit. He did not gain any sort of advantage from the contact, nor did our receiver. It had zero influence on the outcome of the play.
Like it or not, the refs will call that 9 times out of 10 because his arm was extended. A little more savvy would have prevented the call.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
StoneCold":3ctbu4u7 said:
Jacknut16":3ctbu4u7 said:
StoneCold":3ctbu4u7 said:
Sports Hernia":3ctbu4u7 said:

SC

SC

I'm saying I don't know and am hoping for some discussion beyond "IT WAS THE WORST CALL" blah blah blah.

What is the rule? Would it have been ok for Turbin to just blow the guy up and knock him on his butt? Turbin pushed the defender. I'm guessing that what is allowed is somewhere between pushing and blowing up. Do you know? Or are you just being a homer?

SC
So you are just talking out of your arse to play the role of Mr. Contrarian, got it! SMH.

Timberhawk

Reaction score
Anyone see the Chargers last TD today against Baltimore? That reminded me of this play. Difference was the Chargers had another receiver run and actually block the defender who was covering Royal. Then Royal runs around the block, catches the pass and trots into the end zone.

Maybe this one was legal because it happened within five yards of the LOS? Thought Turbins did too though and he definitely didn't block the defender like this play. Hmmm?

Nonetheless I sure hope the Hawks bring to attention:

A. The fact we have had the league acknowledge critical missed calls against us.
B. The number below a teams average penalties they are being called for against us.

Proud our guys have been winning and fighting through this garbage, but it is bound to come back and really cost us one of these days. As if the KC loss wasn't costly enough anyway.

NorCalSeahawk

Reaction score
Just yet another bad call this season. I just wish some of these game changing calls could be challenged. I was watching the game with Niners fans (and other fans for that matter) and they all had the same reaction when they saw it live and after the replay.... what the hell did that ref think he saw? It was like the running back taking two steps right in front of the refs in the Cards game and the referees just shrugging it off like it was no big deal it was missed.

The team needs to just play thought it the rest of the season and hope it doesn't end up deciding a game, much like the pre snap penalty garbage that keeps stunting the offensive drives this year, it may just cost them a game eventually, hopefully not.

BlueBlood

Reaction score
brimsalabim":26fbvjh0 said:
The Broncos live off of that play and it's never called. Even the guys calling the game said it was a ticky tacky call on a bump that had no affect on the play.

Ya I think they call that play "omaha" or something :roll:

OP
OP
S

StoneCold

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2o45kb88 said:
So you are just talking out of your arse to play the role of Mr. Contrarian, got it! SMH.

Contrarian? I'm just asking a question and looking for more input than what you offered. Reading the rule for PI it says that if "incidental contact" occurs it should not result in an interference call. This makes it a judgement call, which means there is a grey area. Is Turbin's arm to the chest incidental? You see lots of contact on most pass plays where each guy is trying to get position that looks very similar to this play and it's often not called. I personally think that if no advantage is gained then it should be a no call. I think they should also make PI reviewable.

SC

Hawks46

Reaction score
blkhwk":32q8hjns said:
To truly be a pick, you have to make contact with the OTHER defender....... Turbin makes contact or has contact made on him with his defender. This could have been illegal contact on SF

Bingo. It can't be a pick, because Turbin didn't rub the defender of the player that caught the TD.

It can't be Offensive Pass Interference because Turbin was never part of the play.

I rewatched this a couple of times, but to be honest, I can't really tell when the contact took place. It was in the end zone, but there are no yard markers, so it's really hard to tell if the SF defender made contact outside of that 5 yards. I'd say it was close enough to warrant a no call. Personally, I'd hate it if they were that ticky tacky with our CBs about contact within 4-7 yards (they could honestly call a lot more on everybody if they were picky about it).

That said, it was really a crap call, and the only explanation is blatant incompetence, or the refs (thus the NFL) trying to keep the last primetime game closer as the other two weren't very close. Richardson's defender obviously went over the top, so I honestly don't see how an official at this level can mistake which man gets hit. It's just as obviously not any sort of interference on Turbin because the play didn't go his way.

I'm not a conspiracy guy, but it's beyond coincidental how many of our TD's are getting called back on crap penalties.