My observations from last nights thriller - and a question

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Good point. The spoiled is strong. Oh well, to each his/her own.
5-0 and still plenty of improving to do. Should be a lot of really good battles.

OP
OP
T

TraderGary

Reaction score
Never said I wasn't enjoying the ride. My frustration stems from the fact that fixing the defense and making it at least league average is in my opinion, easily fixable. Personnel wise, we are a hell of a lot better than a last place defense, and historically one of the worst ever. It just seems so obvious where the flaws are in the schemes they're running and giving receivers too much cushion.

Don't you get frustrated watching opposing teams converting easy first downs and marching right down the field because we're playing 5 to 10 yards off the receivers?

If you were watching the Cardinals/Cowboys game last night, even after Arizona built a huge lead, they were still playing aggressive defense with tight coverage all over the field. And it's not like the Cardinals are loaded with all-pro's in the secondary.

Put the Seahawks in that same situation and we're playing prevent defense, letting the opposing team get big chunks of yardage, and ultimately allowing them right back in the game. If you're being honest with yourself, you know it's true. Coaching and schemes is the issue here.

And if voicing my opinion makes me a complainer, so be it. I just want the coaches to put the players in the best possible position to succeed and I don't believe they're currently doing that. We have a championship level offense and special teams, and the defense is fixable to the point that we can win a championship this year if they just make the necessary adjustments. I really believe that.

JGreen79

Reaction score
TraderGary":2037by10 said:
Wenhawk":2037by10 said:
We have an opportunistic Defense that will get better. We have plenty of talent and some super stars that will settle in. They won us the NE game, the 4th down vs the vikings was giant too.

The vikings basically had the ball for 75% and our D only gave up 26 points to one of the best running teams in the NFL

And that actually speaks to my point. The Vikings had the ball 75% of the time! And why is that? It's because of our ultra-soft zone coverage schemes allowing easy pitch-and-catch 3rd down conversions for the opposing QB because we'd rather give up easy 3rd down conversions and allow the opposing team to move up and down the field than give up something over the top. Logically it makes absolutely zero sense!

Logically it does makes sense though. Pete's defensive philosophy has always been not to get beat over the top. Basically he would rather you prove you can do things right 8-10 times a drive. If you allow them to beat you over the top, they only have to do it right once.

It may be frustrating, but as Wenhawk said we have an opportunistic defense. Allowing a play over the top reduces the number of opportunities.

They're basically saying "take the yards, run 100 plays, we bet you'll make a mistake and then we will capitalize on it."

This year they have scored points or ran out the clock after every turnover/4th down stop.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
You know this Defense if Snacks can be Snacks is basically the 2005 D. Smoke and Mirrors. I don’t mind. The potential is there to be a lot more tougher, a lot more grittier by season end than that D was.

Let’s see what happens after you incorporate Snacks, Adams to the mix together as well as under-the-radar guys like DJ Reed and Bullard along with other guys still trying to gel in the system like Moore and Dunbar.

Not to mention the plethora of guys who haven’t even vetted yet: Brooks, Collier, Robinson, Ford, Mone, Quem Griffin, Barton, BBK, Amadi, Neal, and Flowers. Let’s see them after they’ve grind more experience and establish themselves more. Flowers might the only name where I question if he has it...but he’s still green he’s just have had a lot of snaps.

A chance that Taylor might get right and perhaps compete himself into the mix.

Let the D galvanize. There are 11 more weeks to come together and figure it out for the games that really count. Much like the 2005 Offense the 2020 is elite enough to win 13+ games.

TypeSly

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":36ti5wgp said:
Relax man...….
And I wasn't even referring to you. People who blast the team over and over again just sound funny when they say "we".
Don't like it, too bad.

Sorry, I apologize :lol: . I actually like "we" because it just feels like we all belong to something, a common cause :lol:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's all good. Just was having a crap day. I get riled up, and it's not really needed. It's just a football message board, and should be fun. Something I need to work on. More lurking and less posting/pot stirring. It's nothing personal :irishdrinkers:
And yes, I say we all the time so...... 8)

chris98251

Reaction score
I say WE all the time, still have to get past my past life beheading, burning, and ashes scattered through out the Country I used to rule.

TypeSly

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":y7ygripi said:
It's all good. Just was having a crap day. I get riled up, and it's not really needed. It's just a football message board, and should be fun. Something I need to work on. More lurking and less posting/pot stirring. It's nothing personal :irishdrinkers:
And yes, I say we all the time so...... 8)

Thank you for accepting my apology, brother. :D