RIP Pete Rodriguez

seabowl

Reaction score
Longtime great special teams coach and former Hawk coach died Sunday. He definitely helped revitalize our ST back in the 1990's and was a great overall coach. RIP Pete.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
I hope Charlie Rogers got choked up when he heard about Pete's passing. That's what I remember from Pete's tenure here.

EDIT--looking at Pete's page on Wikipedia, looks like he also had a connection to our current coach named "Pete":

"In July, 2010 the Los Angeles Times reported that he was the coach hired by Pete Carroll as a special consultant for USC's kickers during the 2008 football season. The use of additional coach was one of the items that the NCAA found to be a Major Violation and subjected USC to the "Loss of institutional control" finding. Carroll had defended the hiring as being done with the knowledge of the USC compliance staff however the compliance staff reported that this was not the case."

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Rodriguez

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
The difference in our special teams play was very evident when Pete Rodriguez came aboard. The year before he was here, our ST was an absolute disaster (the main thing I remember is Ronnie Harris's repeated key fumbles on kickoff and punt returns, but all of our ST were bad). He came aboard and things got a lot better quickly. He was a bright spot during some otherwise poor coaching during the Erickson era.

RIP Coach Rodriguez.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
I met Pete a few times. He was a very nice man. May he rest in peace.

sutz

Reaction score
RIP. A great one in Seahawks coaching history. :(

sc85sis

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":d2n5v4sy said:
I hope Charlie Rogers got choked up when he heard about Pete's passing. That's what I remember from Pete's tenure here.

EDIT--looking at Pete's page on Wikipedia, looks like he also had a connection to our current coach named "Pete":

"In July, 2010 the Los Angeles Times reported that he was the coach hired by Pete Carroll as a special consultant for USC's kickers during the 2008 football season. The use of additional coach was one of the items that the NCAA found to be a Major Violation and subjected USC to the "Loss of institutional control" finding. Carroll had defended the hiring as being done with the knowledge of the USC compliance staff however the compliance staff reported that this was not the case."

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Rodriguez
Yeah, my understanding is Rodriguez gave Pete his first paid job as a coach. Rodriguez was out of work, so Pete hired him short-term as a consultant at USC. There was some sort of screw up with communicating it to Compliance, and the NCAA pounced on it. Actually, they used it twice--once as a separate incident, and again when they were looking for reasons to come up with Lack of Institutional Control. Apparently an assistant AD actually signed the check(s) to Rodriguez, so someone besides Pete knew he was there. Still, it was the only thing Pete did that the NCAA was able to use, and definitely was a gaffe on his part.

kearly

Reaction score
One of the very few bright spots of the 90's Seahawks. Sad day.

morgulon1

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":14gtg1kb said:
The difference in our special teams play was very evident when Pete Rodriguez came aboard. The year before he was here, our ST was an absolute disaster (the main thing I remember is Ronnie Harris's repeated key fumbles on kickoff and punt returns, but all of our ST were bad). He came aboard and things got a lot better quickly. He was a bright spot during some otherwise poor coaching during the Erickson era.

RIP Coach Rodriguez.

Holmgren kept PR when he took over. I met Pete Rodriguez once and he asked my lady "why she was with such an ugly mo fo?" I'll never forget that. Hahaha

RIP Coach

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
kearly":1d8g6m5s said:
One of the very few bright spots of the 90's Seahawks. Sad day.

Indeed. While muddling through our 6-10 2000 season, I often thought, "at least we've got Pete Rodriguez."

As I seem to recall, Pete was in bad straits when Seattle hired him. I'd considered him to be an underdog. Which was to say: a Seahawk.

Missing you, Pete.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Wow. I just found this. Rodriguez was the man. I can't recall (atm) exactly what transpired, leading to his departure but I do recall it was nothing against him or his unit (!?). Through our many years of sub-par ST play, I wish I had a buck for every time I asked what the hell happened to Pete Rodriguez.. why can't we bring back Rodriguez? He was rock solid and may he rest in peace.

RiverDog

Reaction score
morgulon1":1fx0sv0b said:
MidwestHawker":1fx0sv0b said:

RIP Coach Rodriguez.

Holmgren kept PR when he took over. I met Pete Rodriguez once and he asked my lady "why she was with such an ugly mo fo?" I'll never forget that. Hahaha

RIP Coach

If I am not mistaken, PR was the only coach retained by Holmgren from the previous regime. That says something.

Latest posts