Rashaad Penny visits Seattle

Rat

Reaction score
Wishing Penny some luck. Makes sense for Penny, sign with the team where he's got the best shot. Penny would be limited to being K9's backup here. K9 has been everything that Penny coulda, shoulda been if he could stay healthy, different styles though.
Carolina blows, but he's not going to get a great shot there either. They just used a second-round pick on a RB (Jonathon Brooks) and also have Chuba Hubbard and Miles Sanders.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Carolina blows, but he's not going to get a great shot there either. They just used a second-round pick on a RB (Jonathon Brooks) and also have Chuba Hubbard and Miles Sanders.
Thanks, I knew Carolina had issues, but didn't know their personnel at RB. Well, Penny and his agent rolled the dice on Carolina, maybe they feel he's healthy and can win a competition or just get good reps as RB2 or get reps via other guys getting injured. Rotsa ruck!

Ozzy

Reaction score
Penny’s effectiveness is dependent on blocking scheme and health. He has always been fast, but not quick and shifty, heavy, but he doesn’t run with power. He doesn’t create yards after contact with elusiveness or power. To be effective, he needs open running lanes to use his top end speed and vision.

if he were to be signed, I would take it as a hint to what Grub plans for the run game. I would also see him as the fourth running back (insurance for injuries to RB1 & 2) with special teams potential. Kicking the tires on penny has absolutely nothing to do with the current top three running backs on the roster.
Huh? He lead the league in yards after contact from 2021 up through 2023. If it wasn't elusiveness or power what was it, sorcery?

It's somewhat fair to say he wasn't the shiftiest or quick guy but he ran with explosiveness and a degree of power. It's different than a Henry type but power nonetheless. If he's healthy and can pick up the system he's still a better running back than you're giving him credit for talent wise.

toffee

Reaction score
Compared to Eskridge, Penny was a success. Both were injury-prone, no doubt. When healthy, Penny delivered, we can't say that about Eskridge, can we?

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Huh? He lead the league in yards after contact from 2021 up through 2023. If it wasn't elusiveness or power what was it, sorcery?

It's somewhat fair to say he wasn't the shiftiest or quick guy but he ran with explosiveness and a degree of power. It's different than a Henry type but power nonetheless. If he's healthy and can pick up the system he's still a better running back than you're giving him credit for talent wise.
Is he though? Penny sure hasn’t been sought after by the rest of the NFL.

The thing with Penny is he made highlight reel plays, but couldn’t do the basics really well. He struggled running between the tackles. For a guy his size he wasn’t very physically imposing in the running game. He was brought down pretty easily with arm tackles.

Where Penny made a lot of his yards were on things like counters and sweeps. He played like a smaller running back, including with things like his agility acceleration and elusiveness.

He wasn’t a bad RB, he was just extremely limited. He also had issues with motivation and picking up the offense his first few years here.

He was an elite athlete and a killer cutback. That essentially described his game in a nutshell there.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Compared to Eskridge, Penny was a success. Both were injury-prone, no doubt. When healthy, Penny delivered, we can't say that about Eskridge, can we?

I’d rather have CJ Procise

All kidding aside, getting him on the cheap would not be a bad idea
If eskridge plays his cards right he might just end up with 200 career receiving yards.

Get that canton bust ready

Ozzy

Reaction score
Is he though? Penny sure hasn’t been sought after by the rest of the NFL.

The thing with Penny is he made highlight reel plays, but couldn’t do the basics really well. He struggled running between the tackles. For a guy his size he wasn’t very physically imposing in the running game. He was brought down pretty easily with arm tackles.

Where Penny made a lot of his yards were on things like counters and sweeps. He played like a smaller running back, including with things like his agility acceleration and elusiveness.

He wasn’t a bad RB, he was just extremely limited. He also had issues with motivation and picking up the offense his first few years here.

He was an elite athlete and a killer cutback. That essentially described his game in a nutshell there.
It’s a fair point. I think injuries though at a saturated position have had more to do with it and like you mentioned I’m wondering if he has issues learning the playbook. I just think his talent is being a little underrated here. When healthy behind bad run blocking was near best in the league in some categories. That can’t happen by accident or luck

Latest posts