John Schneider ????

pmedic920

Reaction score
In your opinion, what is his area of expertise ?

Is it scouting/player evaluation?

Is it the business/ cap management ?

Or possibly another area?

I have a few other questions to toss into this, if the thread takes off but let's start here.

GoHawks.

kamikazehawk

Reaction score
Player Eval is probably his best attribute but his cap management does not seem to be a weakness for sure.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Experimenting with things and having no fear to admit mistakes, correct them, and move on.

Oh, he is a great talent evaluator as well.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Being a stud.

The way we're doing things at the moment is indicative of us going offense heavy in the draft, and I'm excited by that as I think John excels there (Jordy Nelson, Golden Tate, Russell Wilson). I put the Percy ordeal on Pete. If we're to believe the stuff that's been put out there (which I do), John didn't want Percy but Pete twisted his arm.

Without the resources to go big in FA, our focus is going to be on the draft. We could end up with eleven picks next year, and potentially seven in the first four rounds. It's going to be a really interesting and important draft.

bigwrm

Reaction score
His strengths as a leader and talent evaluator are obvious, so I'll go the other way and say that his one weakness is negotiation. We often don't get great value on our draft day trades (compared to teams like the Patriots or 49ers) and typically don't get "home-town discounts" when resigning players. Now some people will say that our philosophy is to fairly reward our home-grown players with market value contracts, but I also don't think Schneider is a tough negotiator.

Although Baalke hasn't don't a great job of drafting with the 49ers, he's been able to mask that deficiency by getting great return on trades and ending up with a ton of draft capital. He also does a great job of negotiating team-friendly clauses and contracts when resigning his own players. Now if you combined Schneider's evaluation skills with Baalke's ability to negotiate....

seahawks187

Reaction score
I believe he started off as a scout for green bay.. so scouting / player evaluation is probably what he is most passionate about. he seems to get giddy in the off season around draft day. He's also always evaluating players throughout the year and always trying to better the roster.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
pmedic920":17o3z665 said:

Both from where I sit though I'd go with a cap mgmt slightly above player eval because of a few gaffes like the Shitehurst (man do I love that one......saw it earlier this week..........hats off to the person that came up with that one LOL) trade and the inability to get a redzone threat at WR (so far). His cap mgmt seems to be close to incredible from my untrained eye......never risking losing a guy to FA that they don't want to lose by getting them signed earlier in the process, keeping the core together, etc..
He seems to have a plan that is always a year or more ahead of the salary cap curve (Pete has alluded to as much) and that's as important to sustaining success as good talent eval. The upcoming contract for RW will be kind of the final test so to speak as it concerns his cap mgmt skills.

Ruminator

Reaction score
John drafts and acquires players with a long-term success mindset. He sees potential that may not be readily apparent to most. He is willing to draft a player who still needs a year or two of development before being ready to start. And he is often willing to draft a more obscure name and letting development time, coaching, and the teaching of Seattle's philosophy help that player flourish. These are some of John's strengths as a GM.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
His utmost strength as a front office member is his decision making. Whether we're talking about evaluation, cap/salary management, his ability to cut his losses where lesser GMs would cling to a failed project, and whatever else, we're still talking about his ability to make superior decisions than his competitors. I hope he'll write a book because as awesome as it is to see the fruits of his skills and mindset, it'd be even better to understand how he was able to grow and hone that particular all-encompassing skill as well as his beliefs in the first place.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
pmedic920":k63p2sfm said:

Or possibly another area?

I have a few other questions to toss into this, if the thread takes off but let's start here.

GoHawks.

I agree with both of them and then letting the coaching staff do what they are paid to do...coach them up in our system. Him and Coach combine to see the needs of the team and fill it with someone or ones that can be taught, with their natural talent, to be what is necessary as a fit for the scheme. He possibly stays out of the emotions of the win on Tuesday and seeks out players that are the type they need and bring them in for an "interview". Go Hawks.

lobohawk

Reaction score
He also appears to be good at blending his decision making with the Coach's to reach an agreeable consensus. This can't be understated, as there are many dysfunctional similar relationships out there. Course, part of that is Pete's ability to work with Schneider.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
lobohawk":2j8h88dd said:
He also appears to be good at blending his decision making with the Coach's to reach an agreeable consensus. This can't be understated, as there are many dysfunctional similar relationships out there........
Hardouche and Baalke vehemently disagree with you........
oh wait.

A

Anonymous

I think he is just real person.

He does all those that you mention well, but JS is just such a genuine person, it makes his ability to simply talk on the phone amazing. Unafraid to say what needs to be said, puts it all on the table, and when he shakes your hand and speaks to you, he looks you right in the eye.

Being a great human being makes everything you do shine.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
The best attribute of any Manager is: Make decisions, right or wrong, but make decisions. JS does that every day.

I also appreciate the "always compete" message from PC, because, if you play better than a high priced free agent or high draft pick, you'll get to play, many, many coaches/FO's don't work that way ever.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
His best attribute is his hunky chest.

ae04006600f4d7883457d8e6949cd87b.jpg

OP
OP
pmedic920

pmedic920

Reaction score
I've been thinking a lot about our current Seahawks.
The younger/newer fans may not understand this, the ole timers, know it.
What we have now is truly something special. I believe that we are seeing ,something magical.
I've been trying to put my finger on just one or two things, that have contributed to what I'll call a "perfect storm", I can't , there are too many variables.
I've always said that a teams chemistry is very important, and without good chemistry, no matter how much talent or ability a team has, they won't prosper. I'm sure some historians of the NFL may have an example to prove me wrong but I doubt there are many.

I think JS has a great sense of football talent, I think he has awesome skills at doing what he does.
This team seems to have great chemistry and when an ingredient threatens that, it gets removed from the recipe.
Being able to evaluate talent, takes a skill that only few have, regardless of what we each think of our selves. One needs to have a true understanding of what each player should be doing and when he should be doing it, at any given time. This counts off the field as well.
Does anybody think that the Skills that JS has translates to on the field, as a coach?
Head coach, coordinator, position coach?

kobebryant

Reaction score
pmedic920":2e31pby3 said:
Does anybody think that the Skills that JS has translates to on the field, as a coach?
Head coach, coordinator, position coach?

Yes, I think it is important for coaches to understand players, chemistry, and have an eye for seeing talent where others may not. So yes, some of JS's skills as a GM are valuable competencies for any coach to have.

Latest posts