How fast is Lockette?

Ostatehawk

Reaction score
Damn.

I swear Lockette made three blocks on Marshawn's Beast run v. AZ.....the speed he showed to close and make the last one was ridiculous. Do we need more Lockette on stretch plays??

Hawks46

Reaction score
Lockette has world class sprinter speed.

I don't remember his 40 time, but it has to be in the low 4.3's.

I agree, I would like to see Lockette take the top off the defense once in a while. If it were more often, we would see a safety drop out of the box when he's on the field, which we could then counter with an aubible to a run if needed.

raisethe3

Reaction score
He once had an unofficial timing of 4.28 secs in the 40 yd dash. His real timing is 4.34 secs.

Paul Richardson is like 4.40 secs?

These two guys are like the fastest guys on the Seahawks team. Jeremy Lane is probably after them too, if I am not mistaken.

danp1990

Reaction score
The good thing is even tho his current contract expires after this season, we have exclusive rights to him and no other team can even make him an offer.

seedhawk

Reaction score
Lockette is so fast even the media misses his pecadillos!

KDshouldBeOurMJ

Reaction score
Really fast. I found on Wikipedia that only 94 track sprinters have broken the 10 second barrier on a 100m dash. so 9.99 and under. Lockette has officially been clocked in at 10.00. So he is devastatingly fast. Percy Harvin couldn't even touch him endzone to endzone.

KDshouldBeOurMJ

Reaction score
and yes Jeremy Lane is third fastest behind Paul and Rocket. I can't exactly remember their 100m times but I think Paul Richardson's was 10.3-4 and Lane's was 10.5-6.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Paul Richardson is fast too, remember the story about them electronically timing him at 4.28 in January for the 40 yarder. I think his fastest time at the Combine was 4.33.

Imagine if we can get Lane to play WR some times, and put Lockette, Lane, and Richardson out on the field. Those 3 guys can all stretch the field at once.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Richardson catching Wilson and the defense after giving them a 10 yard start on Wilson's 55 yard scramble was impressive.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Remember Michael Bates?
Olympic Sprinter, U.S. Olympic Relay Team IIRC.
Anyway, yeah, Lockette is about that fast. And PRich only a step behind.

olyfan63

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":23y3ph7p said:
From one of my go to sites, I have bookmarked ( http://mockdraftable.com ), and find very useful in researching players: I really like the comparison info and spider graphs, see pages below.

Paul Richardson, 4.40: (2014-combine) - http://mockdraftable.com/player/4351/
Ricardo Lockett, 4.34: (2011-combine) - http://mockdraftable.com/player/474/
Percy Harvin, 4.39: (2009-combine) - http://mockdraftable.com/player/1011/
--Notice Percy's 10-yard split time, that's what makes him "different"

That is a really cool way of presenting the information, on that site!
Thanks for the link!

Is there a way to get it to show the same info for each guy?

It's interesting that Richardson's 3-cone time isn't that great. IIRC, Doug Baldwin has a good time in that.

Tokadub

Reaction score
Yep, Lockette has insane speed. And from everything I've seen he's a good receiver with reliable hands who can easily run whatever routes...

Sometimes it almost seems like Bevell goes out of his way to not use personnel correctly (Golden Tate in Detroit for example).

Lockette has only been targeted 22 times by Wilson, that's less than the 23 games he's played for the Seahawks.

Given Lockette's blazing world class speed and his height (he's 6'2''), you would imagine that the only explanation for not utilizing him in the WR position was that he had bad hands... but that's not the case, quite opposite although it is a small sample size.

Out of Lockette's 22 targets he has caught 16 of them (72.7%)

Lockette has averaged 17.31 yards per catch with Wilson...

Lockette has scored 2 Touchdowns on only 16 catches (12.5%)

Lockette is also probably our best blocking Wide Receiver as we saw in Beast Quake 2... seems like a no brainer that he should be out there more often given how we are the #1 rushing team and Wilson can break away for easy yards on a regular basis... all Russell really needs is like 1 clutch block and he'd probably average like 15 yards a carry... None of our guys seem to be able to keep up with Wilson and lay some solid blocks for him (they all just seem to block the guy who was guarding them originally), why not Lockette the best gunner in the league he's clearly willing and able to punk any would be tacklers and has the speed to get there.

All in all the way we utilize Lockette offensively is a big Bevell mystery... one that I'm not too sure there is any half decent logic behind it... unless he sucks in practice and rocks at game time? I'm guessing they barely throw him the ball in practice either so who knows :34853_doh:

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
No hate on Lockette, I like the guy, I do, but there's a reason he's bounced around the last couple years and been BFF's with Papaki and failed to crack a starting lineup. I don't know exactly why that's the way it's been but pretty good guess it's not because he's our best kept secret. But Bevell tho.

NINEster

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":4hwyyeis said:
No hate on Lockette, I like the guy, I do, but there's a reason he's bounced around the last couple years and been BFF's with Papaki and failed to crack a starting lineup. I don't know exactly why that's the way it's been but pretty good guess it's not because he's our best kept secret. But Bevell tho.

Pretty much.

He was a Hawk, a Niner, and then a Hawk again.

For other positions like CB (Cox), FB (Tukuafu), RB (MRob) eventually they will shine, but the WR position for these two teams is very hard to materialize into greatness. WR is a tough position to make it in this league.

Either that or Lockette is just a great measurables guy that doesn't have "IT" at WR. At times it makes you appreciate the position more because of what it takes to be good at it.

RiverDog

Reaction score
NINEster":iufo1hzv said:
Zebulon Dak":iufo1hzv said:

Pretty much.

He was a Hawk, a Niner, and then a Hawk again.

For other positions like CB (Cox), FB (Tukuafu), RB (MRob) eventually they will shine, but the WR position for these two teams is very hard to materialize into greatness. WR is a tough position to make it in this league.

Either that or Lockette is just a great measurables guy that doesn't have "IT" at WR. At times it makes you appreciate the position more because of what it takes to be good at it.

He has had several opportunities to win a starting WR job, both here and in Frisco, and could never break into the starting lineup or even stay in the rotation in two locations that are not particularly overloaded with talent at that position. Who knows what "it" is, but it has to be something as his speed is unquestioned, he doesn't seem to have the dropsies, and he's played very well on special teams. He has committed some really dumb penalties, so perhaps he's spent some time in the dog house.

themunn

Reaction score
I think he struggles with route running, or rather, understanding the playbook, so he's used for what he's good at - blocking and special teams. And occasionally we'll target him too, but not rely on him too much (possibly because he's unreliable?)

Kaepernick also has found creative ways to help Lockette assimilate with the 49ers' vast and complex playbook, and that includes word association for breaking down plays.

"Instead of going through it as if, 'You do this if the safeties do this' -- or you know how coaches explain, 'You've got Cover 4, Cover 5' -- he says, 'Remember it this way: This car is this color. Your favorite car is a red car. When you hear red, you run a Corvette.'

StoneCold

Reaction score
I love Lockette. That said I think the "Flop" he did during a run back this year is indicative of an attitude or intelligence issue. Perhaps when you're around him 24/7 you see enough of that to make you uncomfortable with his reliability. Undeniable skills and love what he does on ST and the occasional nice catch.

SC

olyfan63

Reaction score
HoustonHawk82":5jzdoisv said:
Galloway was faster than Lockette.
Pre-ACL, of course...

Galloway was NOT *faster* than Lockette.

Galloway was quicker up to speed, though. Possibly a microscopic tick or two "faster" in a 40 before Lockette would have run him down.

Lockette's got the top-end speed edge on him. Galloway on a punt return with Lockette 2 steps behind at the 50, both guys already flying... Lockette would catch him with a dive and get him down somewhere between the 10-20 yard line area.

Kinda like CMike has really good acceleration getting up to speed, but top end speed isn't eilte like a Chris Johnson and he could be chased down by super-speedy guys over a 50-yard distance.

Latest posts