NFL SHOULD NOT LET.......

seahawksny

Reaction score
Assistant coaches visit other teams that have coaching vacancies if team is in playoffs.

Dan Quinn making visits for coaching vacancies sounds very familiar.

Two years ago, Gus Bradley made visit to Jacksonville, and what was result that week? I believe it was in between Washington and Atlanta game and we know what happened in Atlanta.

Not saying that was the cause of gut wrenching loss, but do we really want our Defensive Coordinator or any assistant focusing on ANYTHING except the upcoming playoff game?

Seanhawk

Reaction score
I think they may have changed a rule where they can only interview if their team is on a bye.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
Last year Quinn interviewed with the Browns I believe and it worked out pretty well.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seanhawk":2p1ave3p said:
I think they may have changed a rule where they can only interview if their team is on a bye.

I think it's been this way for a while.

Teams on a bye, allowed. Teams not, not allowed.

This is one of those issues best left to the people it affects. Believe me, if allowing your assistants to interview during the bye week affected game planning for something as important as NFL playoff games? It wouldn't be allowed.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
seahawksny":18o382kg said:
Assistant coaches visit other teams that have coaching vacancies if team is in playoffs.

Dan Quinn making visits for coaching vacancies sounds very familiar.

Two years ago, Gus Bradley made visit to Jacksonville, and what was result that week? I believe it was in between Washington and Atlanta game and we know what happened in Atlanta.

Not saying that was the cause of gut wrenching loss, but do we really want our Defensive Coordinator or any assistant focusing on ANYTHING except the upcoming playoff game?

Yeah, Quinn interviewing during our bye week last year really screwed us up. Wait...

OP
OP
S

seahawksny

Reaction score
Yxes1122":fezndrk0 said:
Last year Quinn interviewed with the Browns I believe and it worked out pretty well.

If thats true, then my theory is squashed ( THANK GOD LOL)

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
This issue comes up every year... and the current rules are the fair to both the playoff teams and the coaches that aspire for a promotion to a HC position.

No team is going to wait until after the SB to hire a new HC... too much time is lost waiting that long. Coaching staffs have to be fleshed out (the best available assistants and coordinators are hired immediately after the new HCs are named) and the draft is right around the corner as well.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2b573dgr said:
Seanhawk":2b573dgr said:

This is one of those issues best left to the people it affects. Believe me, if allowing your assistants to interview during the bye week affected game planning for something as important as NFL playoff games? It wouldn't be allowed.

But I believe the OP is right in saying that Gus interviewed the week leading up to the Falcons game. We didn't have a bye in 2012.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seanhawk":1dd3fip9 said:
Sgt. Largent":1dd3fip9 said:
Seanhawk":1dd3fip9 said:

But I believe the OP is right in saying that Gus interviewed the week leading up to the Falcons game. We didn't have a bye in 2012.

The only thing I found Googling this was that Bradley interviewed with the Eagles in Atlanta the day before the Hawks played the Falcons.

http://www.csnphilly.com/eagles/eagles- ... ey-atlanta

The day before? The schemes and game plans are already in place, all that happens is a walkthrough. IMO this is a non-issue.......and like I said if the owners and head coach's thought this was an issue? Then it wouldn't be allowed.

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
I DON'T LIKE IT. Let's say Quinn interviews with Atlanta this week and gets the job... Yeah, he comes back to our guys and coaches us through the playoff games we have... But what does that do to the current guys on the current run? Are we saying there is no potential negative from this in these games? I just don't like it at all--but there's nothing you can do about it.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
KARAVARUS":1xwy3jbv said:
I DON'T LIKE IT. Let's say Quinn interviews with Atlanta this week and gets the job... Yeah, he comes back to our guys and coaches us through the playoff games we have... But what does that do to the current guys on the current run? Are we saying there is no potential negative from this in these games? I just don't like it at all--but there's nothing you can do about it.

Cant hire him until were done. whehter thats next week or after the superbowl......

mikeak

Reaction score
It requires the team's approval

Harbaugh did not give his assistants the approval last year - guess where he is now

So that could be the flip side

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
mikeak":2rbgs6wi said:

Harbaugh did not give his assistants the approval last year - guess where he is now

Pete brought this up yesterday in his presser, how at times during his pro career he was not allowed to interview and that stuck with him as something he'd never do to his assistants.

Reason #1,459 as to why Pete > other coaches. Coaches want to play for Pete because he not only allows them to interview, he helps prepare them for the interview process.

LusciousJames

Reaction score
These guys need to be allowed to interview for these jobs to advance their careers. It's not like there are a ton of openings all the time.

seahawks187

Reaction score
I think it's cool that pete really wants the best for his coaches and he has said he will do anything he can do to help them achieve whatever it is they want to do.. If Dan Quinn does moves on or Bevell then good for them I'll wish them the best of luck. I have 100% trust that Pete / John will find a formidable replacement that will work in the structure, environment pete has created here.

The Outfield

Reaction score
I think it's better if they interview now so that each side can make a decision and not have to wait until our season ends. Otherwise, yes, a rogue assistant coach might try to end the season early so that they can get some interviews. If, however, they agree on a job offer ahead of time, then the coach would have no reason to try to end the season early and could focus on the task at hand.

Finally, it should be noted that we didn't have a bye week in 2012. We did last year and do this year, so that gives coaches time to both interview and prepare for the game ahead.

Cartire

Reaction score
I think a Super Bowl win is the best thing to put on your resume. Getting a coaching gig or not, a Super Bowl win puts you ahead of the class. You start your coaching career off early with player confidence, and for that matter, fan confidence.

They need to interview now if they want a shot. But dont think for one second that they arent putting everything they have into a win.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3q2ood80 said:
mikeak":3q2ood80 said:

Pete brought this up yesterday in his presser, how at times during his pro career he was not allowed to interview and that stuck with him as something he'd never do to his assistants.

Reason #1,459 as to why Pete > other coaches. Coaches want to play for Pete because he not only allows them to interview, he helps prepare them for the interview process.

Frankly, I love this about Pete Carroll.
As with the players... Next Man Up.
Whoever is in line for Quinn's job, is probably chomping at the bit to show what they can do.
It's an incentive booster, I doubt that anyone with Quinn's talents should be held back, especially if that's truly they feel they belong in the drivers seat.
Thinking on it, Pete Carroll is spreading good vibes, and is helping his guys to head their own gigs elsewhere, which in turn, means that Pete isn't yet contemplating retirement.