SB Officiating

Northhawk

Reaction score
Tinfoil hat on.

Many often complain that the refs are against Seattle. Who can blame us given our past experiences.

I was worried going into last year's SB but, given the lopsided score, turned out there was no need. Then when NE made it to this year's SB, I thought we might be up against the refs in this game unless it gets out of hand early in our favor again.

But with NE's deflated reputation, I see little PR upside for the NFL if the Pats were to win. In fact, the image of a squeaky clean Russell Wilson crying as he hoists the Lombardi would help repair some of the damage done to the NFL brand.

So I think the refs may just let them play.

Tinfoil hat off.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Im not a conspiracy theorist... but I did just see that Kraft and Goodell are best friends. And I know Goodell doesn't like Lynch and Sherman, probably not baldwin either.

But, i hope it doesn't come to it. If they call defensive passing close, we should get the same benefit vs BB specifically.

LTH

Reaction score
I am worried about the officiating...I think all year long the officiating has been horrible... fortunately for the Hawks they have been able to over come it... Im not going to say there is a conspiricy happening or not... but Im quite sure if there is NE will win this game or NOT LMAO!!!

LTH

Hawks46

Reaction score
I'll admit it, I've had my conspiracy theory days.

I'm not too worried about deflate gate, that's just insurance that the game will be called fairly. When the Patriots got into the SB, my first impression was that the refs will let both teams play. You have a great story line: Old dynasty vs. newer upcoming potential dynasty.

Sure, it might be Brady's last right and that could be worrisome, but I think he burned his social capital when he lied about the whole deflate gate thing.

The biggest issue I'm going to have is if they actually decide to call offensive holding this game. If they let our guys get mugged (per the usual) so Brady can shine and get his, then it's going to be a long day for us.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
worried as well since no one in the league office would want to see another sb banner in the northwest anytime soon...I am always worried that if another XL occurs that I would give up on he NFL once and for all. It didn't happen last year because Manning did enough to implode early and the game was over quick. This game will be close and I just don't want to see a bad call ruining this game...that goes for both sides. Although if we get shafted there won't be much said about it...

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
My feeling is that Roger has a vested interest in proving that the Pats** can win a SB after Spygate. Still have that 0-2 SB monkey on their back.
I seriously hope yaz win.

Rex

Reaction score
Be careful what you wish for when you say the officials should "let them play" because that always means the Cheatriots, not the other team. Only the Cheatriots get that memo!

JonRud

Reaction score
if anything the NFL should want the Seahawks to win this game. if the Pats win it will always be tainted by 'Deflategate' and everyone will say the Pats shouldn't even be here or should have had someone suspended.

if the Hawks win that takes away a lot of that. In any case I don't really see any bias against the Hawks in this game.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Have no fear, the refereeing was guaranteed to be poor no matter what!

*laughter turns to tears*

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Our opponents have only had an average of 4.4 penalties called against them this season. That's a big deal when you consider that no one else's opponents are averaging fewer than 5.7. Also, our opponents are averaging a ridiculous 3.2 penalties when we play on the road. These are the fewest penalties a road team's opponents have ever had in the last five years.

Part of that, I think, is our opponents playing up to the level of competition by cutting down on needless mistakes. But a bigger part is the conscious or subconscious inclination of the officials to level the playing field for our opponents by calling fewer penalties against them -- i.e. holding calls.

I think it's fair to wonder whether the imbalance in penalties will continue, particularly when you consider who the referees are. Three of them from XL . . . and a lead referee whose own crew has been imbalanced toward the Seahawks this season.

However, missed penalties are not an excuse. It certainly didn't stop us in last year's Super Bowl when we received 10 penalties to the Broncos' five.

Graph0