"Stacking the box" = The secret to beating us?

blazen2392

Reaction score
Every analyst that has picked us to loose has proclaimed that the patriots are going to stack the box and force us to be one dimensional. Now I know that lynch has been shut down before but I have never really paid attention to which teams had success shutting him down by stacking the box, or simply if they had the personnel to pull it off with their front 7. Has there been a team this year that has centered their game plan around that and completely failed? Is our passing game really going to have to be a major factor?

Personally I like the match up of Doug Baldwin and Browner. I Just don't want to set him up in a position to get popped by him. Browner is one of those DB's that can send a message like Kam. Just that skill alone makes him deadly out there.

Barring any mistakes our defense should be able to hold them under 24 points. That's Just what we do in big games. If they have any success stacking the box and shutting down lynch, this could be a long game. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

hawkfannj

Reaction score
They don't think RW can beat them with his arm . Belicheck already said RW is not a QB he is a running back with the ball . That's my 2 cents

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
hawkfannj":1lxpwdu1 said:
They don't think RW can beat them with his arm . Belicheck already said RW is not a QB he is a running back with the ball . That's my 2 cents
I'm actually surprised he said that I thought he's much smarter then that. Maybe it was taken out of context?

hawkfannj

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":13tyc9nr said:
hawkfannj":13tyc9nr said:
I'm actually surprised he said that I thought he's much smarter then that. Maybe it was taken out of context?
Flat out said it in his media day interview

trharder

Reaction score
That was the Denver Bronco game plan for last year's SB.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
hawkfannj":6tcgpv7j said:
MizzouHawkGal":6tcgpv7j said:
hawkfannj":6tcgpv7j said:
Interesting, lets hope he keeps on thinking that then.

kidhawk

Reaction score
This is where Wilson excels. Stack the box...put yourself into a cover zero look and Russell will look to beat you with his arms. Stacking the box doesn't always stop Lynch either, so we aren't afraid to run from that set. Then add in the RO, and if one guy zones in on Lynch, Wilson is off to the races.

12thManHawkFan

Reaction score
I think Revis will be on ADB all night, hopefully Dougy can shake him just like he shook Champ last year.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2513ytpo said:
hawkfannj":2513ytpo said:
MizzouHawkGal":2513ytpo said:
hawkfannj":2513ytpo said:

FWIW, I thought it came across as a compliment to Wilson, not a knock.

kidhawk

Reaction score
12thManHawkFan":v3rthdd5 said:
I think Revis will be on ADB all night, hopefully Dougy can shake him just like he shook Champ last year.

Steve Smith was able to beat Revis for a TD in the divisional round game. I see Baldwin as a similar player to Smith on the field.

trharder

Reaction score
hawkfannj":ttrrupj9 said:
This quote (or paraphrase) is likely misleading at best. Belicheck has also said RW reminds him of Roger Stauback.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... r-staubach

He also said:
"[He] has an instinctiveness; he just knows where people are. It looks like he's going to get tackled and he doesn't. You think that he doesn't see them, but he sees them. He just knows they are there. He has an uncanny sense of awareness of what is around him, good or bad.

"I can't really define it. You can't really coach it. It's an awareness that all great players have it, all good players have it. I think he just has it at a higher level. It's impressive."

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/bill-bel ... z3Q9VOxqeJ

mirrikat45

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1e9j5gig said:
hawkfannj":1e9j5gig said:
MizzouHawkGal":1e9j5gig said:
hawkfannj":1e9j5gig said:

The impression I got when Belicheck said this was that they were going to tackle RW on any run action plays.

LTH

Reaction score
blazen2392":1c9x2lo6 said:
Every analyst that has picked us to loose has proclaimed that the patriots are going to stack the box and force us to be one dimensional. Now I know that lynch has been shut down before but I have never really paid attention to which teams had success shutting him down by stacking the box, or simply if they had the personnel to pull it off with their front 7. Has there been a team this year that has centered their game plan around that and completely failed? Is our passing game really going to have to be a major factor?

Personally I like the match up of Doug Baldwin and Browner. I Just don't want to set him up in a position to get popped by him. Browner is one of those DB's that can send a message like Kam. Just that skill alone makes him deadly out there.

Barring any mistakes our defense should be able to hold them under 24 points. That's Just what we do in big games. If they have any success stacking the box and shutting down lynch, this could be a long game. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

For sure Belichick is game planning how to stop Lynch... The Pats are definately going to have to put an extra guy in there to stop Lynch as its been proven that Lynch can not be stopped playing straight up D... but that doesnt mean the Hawks will not run the ball early and often...

The passing game is definately a key IMO for the Hawks... but where the Hawks have an advantage is they are used to having to scheme to get open... a perfect example of that is the last play in the NFC championship game... Just my opinion...

lobohawk

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3oqmjyeo said:
hawkfannj":3oqmjyeo said:
MizzouHawkGal":3oqmjyeo said:
hawkfannj":3oqmjyeo said:

He was referring to when Wilson was going to run....he runs like a RB and not a normal plodding QB. Not knocking his passing. Even if he thought that, Bill wouldn't say it.

Shock2k

Reaction score
"We just need to stop Marshawn Lynch", "Russell is only good because of the D"

How many times have we heard this. And better defenses have tried. I would not be worried at all, save for the fact they have a coach named Bill, who can be a master at deconstructing a defense, let alone a base defense.

This is the ultimate test. Last time we beat the Patriots, it was a close game at home. I feel like this is the final test Russell (and really this team) needs to pass. Beat Brady and Bill on a neutral field with everything on the line.

On stacking the box. Out of 16 games, 8 games were against top 10 rushing defenses (5 of those were top 5). How many of those games did we win? All of them accept 1 (St. Louis, with their special teams shenanigans). You don't think they tried stacking the box? You don't think their gameplan was "stop Beast Mode, and make Russell Throw?

New England overall is the 12th rated defense, 12th against the pass, 14th against the Rush. Though the give up between 4.1 and 4.2 yards a carry from the Nose to the Right tackle (22nd in the league).

This comes down to folks not "believing" Russel is legit. You know one of the most pressured QB's in the league, playing the hardest strength of schedule this season (http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/ranking ... s-by-other), with an offensive line ranked 22nd in pass protection. (Not to mention the distractions, so not black enough and all that).

By all means though professional analysts, stack the box and make Russell beat you. Throw exotic blitzes and multiple looks at him. It's all been tried before by some of the best defenses in the league. This will be the healthiest our line has been all year, good luck with that.

Rocket

Reaction score
If belichick speaks of a strategy during an interview he thinks will be televised, I'm betting that said strategy is comprised of smoke and mirrors for the media, not for the team.
( in short, he's lying )

BEEF46

Reaction score
hawkfannj":2pqvb5o5 said:
MizzouHawkGal":2pqvb5o5 said:
hawkfannj":2pqvb5o5 said:

Taken out of context. Belicheat was speaking to RW's abilities with his legs. At other points he also spoke about his big play ability down the field throwing the football.

Shock2k

Reaction score
Rocket":1k40gaqn said:
If belichick speaks of a strategy during an interview he thinks will be televised, I'm betting that said strategy is comprised of smoke and mirrors for the media, not for the team.
( in short, he's lying )

Great point. Totally true.