Seahawks Sign WR Douglas McNeil to 3-Year Contract

jammerhawk

Reaction score
NcNeil along with 10 others (all former PS Players) were signed to reserve futures contracts of 2 years each on Feb 1 after the game was over according NFL.com transactions.

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
John Schneider never rests. He should be the one tweeting "no time to sleep". I'm telling you, this guy is going to outwork the other GM's and we're going to fine. WR talent, check. DB depth, check. OLine, check. Schneider is mannnn.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":ot3a2143 said:
John Schneider never rests. He should be the one tweeting "no time to sleep". I'm telling you, this guy is going to outwork the other GM's and we're going to fine. WR talent, check. DB depth, check. OLine, check. Schneider is mannnn.
WR talent? We haven't upgraded our WRs so I don't know how you can check it off the list. We need upgrades so until that has happened nothing has been done yet. Luckily Schneid hasn't started yet.

titan3131

Reaction score
im bumping this because I think that we are really high on this guy and we may have the tall recievers that we need on our roster already.

they signed this guy for 3 years... That means something.

IMAGINE

CM and MCNEIL are both big enough to meet our big guy requirement + we add Jimmy! Im excited.

kidhawk

Reaction score
titan3131":ccikodu2 said:
is camp fodder typically signed to 3 years?

the length doesn't matter with futures contracts, because little to no money is guaranteed

HawkFan72

Reaction score
titan3131":2zzx3yii said:
is camp fodder typically signed to 3 years?

Actually, yes. Teams will often sign camp fodder to multiple year deals with little guaranteed money.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Who knows? McNeil was good enough to be a late season PS player last year, is good sized, with apparently good hands. The knock on him is he really isn't very fast. He's a bit old at 26 already and has floated around as a PS and AFL player for a few years now, so the fodder comment may be applicable. I suspect he will get his shot to compete this TC and the team will see if he's worth keeping around. He's yet another scrap pile reclamation project or a player with some ability that has slipped through the cracks, time will tell.

kearly

Reaction score
Obviously, if you can get a player for a minimum deal then you want to keep them on that minimum deal as many years as possible. They did the same thing with Breno and McQuistan, giving them multi-year futures contracts so that they'd stay cheap for more than just one year.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I wouldn't under estimate the futures contract "camp fodder" players. At least one, even a few will make the team.

Schilling did it last year and Chris Matthews came on late. Without Matthews do we win the NFCCG (onside kick hero) or would we have got blown out in the SB?

kidhawk

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1xf424ng said:
I wouldn't under estimate the futures contract "camp fodder" players. At least one, even a few will make the team.

Schilling did it last year and Chris Matthews came on late. Without Matthews do we win the NFCCG (onside kick hero) or would we have got blown out in the SB?

Futures contracts are great for giving guys a chance to develop. These are generally guys who start off not quite ready for the NFL, but over time, some do become good enough to earn their spot on the main roster. All we're saying here is that the length of the contract doesn't really tell you anything about the player in these situations, because when the end of training camp comes, and they aren't on the roster (which the vast majority won't be), they are all free agents once again, even if they had a multi-year deal.

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
I think Brandon Browner has to be an all time player who played on a futures contract . or at least that's what I am thinking .

before the 2012 season I quit wasting my time questioning what the Seahawks are doing months March - June. I know I can fully trust PC and JS. what ever happens in the draft that's cool , same with free agency.

any one of our future contract players could prove to be a star.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
One thing we know about Schneider and Carroll is they give every member of the 90-man roster to a shot to compete to make the team. The one thing I would caution is there is a lot of churning at the bottom of the roster between now and training camp. Guys are going to get cut over the next few weeks as draft picks and UDFAs come on board. Now is not the time to get attached. If McNeil is still on the roster in August, that tells me he's a real candidate to be one of those unexpected guys to push for a spot.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
McNeil who? Let's just see if he makes it to a preseason game or two before having to actually care about him or this huge* move.

* :sarcasm_on:

Jville

Reaction score
900x506

At New Town, McNeil was an all-state and all-county selection in football, played on a basketball team that made the state semifinals, and ran track, in which he was a divisional champion in relays and the long jump.

The young man has certainly made it hard on himself. A lot of twists and turns in his background. >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bal-long-road-to-nfl-for-randallstown-native-douglas-mcneil-leads-to-seahawks-contract-20150205-story.html[/urltargetblank]

But then there is this ..........................................................
Although the Seahawks lost the Super Bowl to the New England Patriots, former CFL wide receiver Chris Matthews excelled for Seattle with four catches for 109 yards and a touchdown. And McNeil noticed.

"It just shows that the Seahawks are willing to give people a chance to show what they can do," McNeil said. "It's definitely encouraging. At the end of the day, I know the reason they brought me here is for what I can do. I have the mindset to make the team every day, and I've kind of stuck with that."

HansGruber

Reaction score
He's a big guy, 6-3 / 200. Made some great catches in this AFL highlights video, check out some of the one-handers. Also, looks like he's pretty good at getting up and making the contested jump catches. Might be a red zone asset for us. And I'm not sure what people mean by speed, he looks pretty fast.

[youtube]o_Kf66-eYxY[/youtube]