Speculation - Lynch already signed extension???

swagcity21

Reaction score
I am not trying to start rumors. But I have heard through the grapevine of people connected to organization is that Lynch has already signed a contract extension but the team will not announce it yet.

Apparently this news was given to the team the same time the news was being given out about Chancellors MCL tear. Does anyone else have friends or connections to the organization that can vouch for this?

I think if an announcement is not made prior to the draft we will have an idea if they do not draft a RB within the first two rounds.

marko358

Reaction score
swagcity21":2aij48xo said:
I am not trying to start rumors.

followed by:

But I have heard through the grapevine of people connected to organization is that Lynch has already signed a contract extension but the team will not announce it yet.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
swagcity21":34rvsj3z said:
I am not trying to start rumors. But I have heard through the grapevine of people connected to organization is that Lynch has already signed a contract extension but the team will not announce it yet.

Apparently this news was given to the team the same time the news was being given out about Chancellors MCL tear. Does anyone else have friends or connections to the organization that can vouch for this?

I think if an announcement is not made prior to the draft we will have an idea if they do not draft a RB within the first two rounds.
Even if Lynch isnt coming back I doubt they spend (read: waste) a 1st or 2nd rounder on a RB.

I was ahead of the curve by a number of years when it comes to drafting RBs. Back in the mid-00's I said it was wasteful to draft RBs that early unless you were confident you were getting the 2nd coming of Barry Sanders. Part of it was because of the horrible rookie contracts back then, part of it was because most RBs are a product of the offensive line (they get what the OL gives them), but the biggest reason is that quality-wise there isn't much difference between the average 1st round RB and the average 3rd round RB. Stat-wise 1st rounders might get more yards, but that is largely because teams either feel the need to force-feed the RB or because a team's RB situation is so bad that the 1st rounder is their best option by default.

Teams finally have gotten smart to the whole RB thing. You dont see many teams spend (waste) early picks on RB anymore.

With Turbin and Michael the Hawks are under no pressure to draft an early RB if Lynch retires or gets released. The rookie would just be #3 on the depth chart.

OP
OP
swagcity21

swagcity21

Reaction score
marko358":1qfq0f94 said:
swagcity21":1qfq0f94 said:
I am not trying to start rumors.

followed by:

But I have heard through the grapevine of people connected to organization is that Lynch has already signed a contract extension but the team will not announce it yet.

Which is why I asked if anyone else connected to the team has heard anything similar......

bigDhawk

Reaction score
I think the OP answered their own question with regard to reasoning, if indeed true. If Lynch has signed an extension, it behooves the organization not to tip their hand going into the draft about potential need. As long as teams think Seattle possibly has a need at RB they might be more motivated to take one of the blue chip RBs earlier, thereby leaving the player we really want still on the board.

ErikG803

Reaction score
Certainly hope it's true, but even if it is I wouldn't mind adding to our group at RB in the draft this year.

Anyone else with any slight connections hear anything similar? :D

Spiderdan

Reaction score
Actually if Lynch had signed an extension, it would've gone to the league offices for approval where it would be promptly leaked.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Spiderdan":32ncn9mn said:
Actually if Lynch had signed an extension, it would've gone to the league offices for approval where it would be promptly leaked.

This is true. All contracts must be approved by the league office before they are finalized. It's altogether possible they've come to a verbal agreement, but that is purely speculation with no basis whatsoever.

If Lynch comes back (which I believe he will) then it will be under a contract that keeps him here the rest of his career.

There really is no rush in all of this, but they will want to have figured out what the contracts are going to look like for the guys we want to keep/extend, so we know what we can afford to do in Free Agency.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
I don't care when this offseason that a Lynch extension happens, but I sincerely hope it does. What's more, 49ers fans sincerely hope it doesn't... from another board I'm on:

49er fan":6374a3eb said:
The wave of counter arguments I have heard and read after the Super Bowl have made me want pound my fists against my temples a little bit. You can tell me there have been 10000 straight goal line passes without a pick before that play. You can say that Marshawn Lynch has been stopped 55 percent of the time at the goal. What you cannot tell me is that Marshawn effing Lynch couldn't get in the end zone from one yard out with the Super Bowl on the line. Not possible. I have seen this guy too many times, through pure hatred and violence, get extra yards against stouter run defenses that he should have never gotten. And to think he couldn't have done it with TWO chances from the one is absurd.

Granted, I am 49er fan and he terrifies me at practically a cellular level, but no...nononononono..NO!

Dang3Russ

Reaction score
No matter what, Lynch deserves to be rewarded for his production since arriving in 2011. Without him we wouldn't have two NFC Championships and a Super Bowl. I have no doubt that he will continue Beast Mode through next year, but that body sure has taken a beating and the fact he never misses a game, just amazing.

Hope to see the 24 retired in those rafters one of these years. Pay the man and get this done asap.

A

Anonymous

kidhawk":275zohv9 said:
Spiderdan":275zohv9 said:

This is true. All contracts must be approved by the league office before they are finalized. It's altogether possible they've come to a verbal agreement, but that is purely speculation with no basis whatsoever.

If Lynch comes back (which I believe he will) then it will be under a contract that keeps him here the rest of his career.

There really is no rush in all of this (no pun intended), but they will want to have figured out what the contracts are going to look like for the guys we want to keep/extend, so we know what we can afford to do in Free Agency.

FIFY...

:mrgreen:

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Dang3Russ":2xzkmbkq said:
No matter what, Lynch deserves to be rewarded for his production since arriving in 2011. Without him we wouldn't have two NFC Championships and a Super Bowl. I have no doubt that he will continue Beast Mode through next year, but that body sure has taken a beating and the fact he never misses a game, just amazing.

Hope to see the 24 retired in those rafters one of these years. Pay the man and get this done asap.
You never reward a player for past performance especially running backs. You only pay for what they can do NOW and when you're talking about a running back far nearer to thirty then twenty-five you better think long and hard about it and when you do make a decision to offer something you better rethink it just to be sure.

More or less the only reason to extend him is to be able to lessen 2015's cap hit.

LTH

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":2fgjhzjf said:
Dang3Russ":2fgjhzjf said:

You never reward a player for past performance especially running backs. You only pay for what they can do NOW and when you're talking about a running back far nearer to thirty then twenty-five you better think long and hard about it and when you do make a decision to offer something you better rethink it just to be sure.

More or less the only reason to extend him is to be able to lessen 2015's cap hit.

I agree...

Lynch is the heart and soul of this team but How long is that going to last? He is not running behind Jones and Hutch he does a lot on his own and that is very hard on the body... I think Lynch is probably wanting guarnteed money and the Hawks are probably wanting to back load his contract they will probably settle in the middle with Like a 3 year deal which Lynch probably wont see the third year... Hopefully they work it out...

LTH

sutz

Reaction score
LTH":3gecxsb4 said:
MizzouHawkGal":3gecxsb4 said:
Dang3Russ":3gecxsb4 said:

I agree...

Lynch is the heart and soul of this team but How long is that going to last? He is not running behind Jones and Hutch he does a lot on his own and that is very hard on the body... I think Lynch is probably wanting guarnteed money and the Hawks are probably wanting to back load his contract they will probably settle in the middle with Like a 3 year deal which Lynch probably wont see the third year... Hopefully they work it out...

LTH
I disagree. The signing bonus is the 'reward' for past performance. The salary structure of the future year(s) is the current/forward looking pay.

LTH

Reaction score
sutz":2bj8td6y said:
LTH":2bj8td6y said:
MizzouHawkGal":2bj8td6y said:
Dang3Russ":2bj8td6y said:

I agree...

LTH
I disagree. The signing bonus is the 'reward' for past performance. The salary structure of the future year(s) is the current/forward looking pay.

Interesting... So how do you think the contract will look like?