Every year...

Exploding

Reaction score
I feel like its the same story every year - we approach the draft saying to trust PC/JS, that we're going to see draft picks that are reaches or unexpected, particularly in early rounds. Then it actually happens, and people are inexplicably disappointed.... how are people still surprised when this happens??

Just like the last couple of years, people will start seeing more about these picks and become more positive as the offseason progresses. Then we'll go win a ton of games again and people will overhype our rookies. And rinse and repeat. Its like the Seahawks cycle of life :lol:

Trrrroy

Reaction score
Neither of these picks were reaches, and Frank Clark really shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone that follows how the Hawks draft. He fits their profile perfectly (at least athletically). I will admit, I thought they'd be looking for more size with the receiver they took, but in hindsight it's pretty obvious that they value receivers with unique traits and that fill unique roles more than anything. We saw it with pretty much every receiver they've drafted. Tate, Richardson, that fourth rounder that got cut (can't remember his name), etc... Norwood is the only receiver they've drafted that comes close to being "normal".

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Trrrroy":22o72yk8 said:
Neither of these picks were reaches, and Frank Clark really shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone that follows how the Hawks draft. He fits their profile perfectly (at least athletically). I will admit, I thought they'd be looking for more size with the receiver they took, but in hindsight it's pretty obvious that they value receivers with unique traits and that fill unique roles more than anything. We saw it with pretty much every receiver they've drafted. Tate, Richardson, that fourth rounder that got cut (can't remember his name), etc... Norwood is the only receiver they've drafted that comes close to being "normal".

This is exactly why I love the Lockett pick. Conventional wisdom of the traditional draft method states that you draft players with the predetermined measurables (height, weight, speed). You don't draft return guys higher than the 6th round. You also hope that one of your WRs or RBs can do duty as a returner. This is clear evidence that PC/JS don't play with the same parameters as most of the rest of the league. They see holes or weaknesses on their team and do what is necessary to improve it. Trade 3 picks to fill an obvious hole? Check! Does this player also have potential as a regular down guy? Check! They build and restock this team less on the hope of a wing and a prayer and more with a determined focus to fill needs. Their methods may not fit the preconceived notions of draft experts or masses of fans and for that I'm thankful.

titan3131

Reaction score
Im bleeding watching lockett highlights because his routes and cuts are so sharp.

I think they are better then Amari cooper.

drdiags

Reaction score
The 4th rounder cut was Harper (I saw him in one of the Tyler Lockett KState highlights). Forgot his first name.

The draft/FA season is an art and requires dedication to track the various players across the country. Folks get vested into it and they lash out when they see players they hold highly skipped for players they don't. It may or may not subside over the years but there will always be the ones that got away.

Anthony Simmons over Randy Moss looks bad now, probably no big deal back then. Some of these moves can be franchise changers so it tends to add some juice to the silly season. I used to follow the draft and everything leading up to it like a religion, watching College football etc. Now I just free-load on some of the experts here and on the net.

Pete and John have done well but they have some areas they are still trying to get right. That monster #1 WR is one of those positions they have yet to make their mark drafting and raising in their system. They have my support but I do know they can continue to strive for perfection.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
Lockett isn't just a kick returner. Of all the 100's of WR's in FBS last year how did Lockett measure up?

--#4 in FBS with 106 receptions
--#3 in FBS with 1515 yards
--#3 in FBS in all purpose yards (148 total plays for 2296-yds 15.5-avg every time he touches the ball.
--#2 in FBS in long receptions (65@10+yds, 21@20+yds, 9@30+yds, 4@40+yds, 3@50+yds, 1@60+ yds & 1@70+yds.)

And then you add in his return abilities and you get a great player regardless of overall size that will be a STAR.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Every year too much complaining and whining of why why why we didn't get s certain person, or this position or that position. I think the 3rd person they were after was Ali Marpet, and after him there is a dropoff so they moved up to get their guy (Lockett) knowing an OL will be had in the later rounds. I hate to say it but this fanbase have gotten SPOILED. PC and JS play by their own rules and find the people they want, not what the people expect them to get, everyone should know this by now.

The draft isn't over, and we still have UFA coming in to compete as well as some that's still out in FA if need be, don't forget all the other players that might be cut from other teams looking to make roster with their new teams. The product isn't finish yet. We will know how our depth goes during preseason, it was a great measuring stick for us in 2013 and 2014 to see how different it felt during those two separate times.

TXHawk

Reaction score
After the Lockett pick I came here expecting to see a lot of excitement over it and was surprised by all the Eeyores here moaning about it. Maybe its because I live in Texas where we're fed a steady diet of Big 12 football on TV so I've actually seen Lockett play unlike those who complaining about the pick who clearly haven't and can't get beyond him being 5'11". He was one of the most exciting players in the country and I was hoping the Seahawks might have a shot at getting him. He was clearly the guy that JS and PC were targeting to improve their lack of playmaking ability in the WR corps and special teams which is why they were willing to sacrifice the picks to move up and get him. I love this pick.

randomation

Reaction score
titan3131":3h1x23h2 said:
Im bleeding watching lockett highlights because his routes and cuts are so sharp.

I think they are better then Amari cooper.

Watching tape on him he reminds me of Abby a lot very precise on his routes, great hands and a dangerous returner. Personally he was fifth on my wishlist which means getting him in the 3rd is a hell of a steal. I had AC, KW, BP, DGB then TL and PD pretty much tied.

pmedic920

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":2kkwchgr said:
Lockett isn't just a kick returner. Of all the 100's of WR's in FBS last year how did Lockett measure up?

--#4 in FBS with 106 receptions
--#3 in FBS with 1515 yards
--#3 in FBS in all purpose yards (148 total plays for 2296-yds 15.5-avg every time he touches the ball.
--#2 in FBS in long receptions (65@10+yds, 21@20+yds, 9@30+yds, 4@40+yds, 3@50+yds, 1@60+ yds & 1@70+yds.)

And then you add in his return abilities and you get a great player regardless of overall size that will be a STAR.

I'll trust you that this info is correct.
I was cool with the pick prior to seeing it laid out this way.
Now I'm stoked.
:{)