Kevin Williams visiting Saints per PFT

nanomoz

Reaction score
I really like him in the DT rotation and hope he's retained.

There are few players that have had as much success at collapsing the pocket from the interior over the last dozen years. As far as someone for players like Scruggs and Hill to emulate, I can't think of anyone better.

kearly

Reaction score
My guess is that the Seahawks replaced Williams with Rubin.

It sucks that Williams has to look around so much to find work. He was still a pretty good player last season.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
He's one of the guys I felt the worst for after the SB loss.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I honestly don't understand why we're not resigning him. I really don't get this one.

Rubin isn't his replacement. Rubin is a NT, he doesn't specialize in interior pass rush. Or at least he didn't last year.

McGruff

Reaction score
Hawks46":33dx2pw1 said:
I honestly don't understand why we're not resigning him. I really don't get this one.

Rubin isn't his replacement. Rubin is a NT, he doesn't specialize in interior pass rush. Or at least he didn't last year.

Rubin played out of position at NT. His mosst productive position is 3 tech.

Williams is old. I appreciate what he did for us last year, and if our young linemen fail to step up, he's a guy you keep on late summer speed dial. But he's a guy you sign hoping to cut.

Seafan

Reaction score
Loved having Kevin Williams on the team last year. But with Mebane, Rubin, Hill, Marsh, Scruggs, Clark and others who didn't play in the Super Bowl coming to camp.....

two dog

Reaction score
Seanhawk":2pflq0ur said:

Same for me. Williams was the first guy I thought about and is still the one I think
of most often when that miserable memory resurfaces. So close after a long
and distinguished career with a team running in place.

ivotuk

Reaction score
McGruff":2dqenahg said:
Hawks46":2dqenahg said:

Williams is old. I appreciate what he did for us last year, and if our young linemen fail to step up, he's a guy you keep on late summer speed dial. But he's a guy you sign hoping to cut.

For me, the ideal situation would be for him to go unsigned for the first 10-12 games then have him come in as a Seahawk for the SuperB Owl run so he can be rested, ready to go, and to get his ring. :th2thumbs:

kf3339

Reaction score
Seanhawk":93r7f0ip said:

So true. He came for the ring and did everything in his power to make it happen. I hope at some point he is able to find his way back for one more chance with us.

Alexander

Reaction score
Barthawk":mm5r6yw9 said:
Pretty sure he was one of the guys that JS was going to get done after the May 12 deadline so he (and Tjack) don't count towards the compensatory pick process.

Only players that change teams count towards comp picks. Either one could have been re-signed without affecting our comp picks for next year. The May 12 deadline would only matter if they signed with other teams.

Hawks46

Reaction score
ivotuk":292pqtpg said:
McGruff":292pqtpg said:
Hawks46":292pqtpg said:

For me, the ideal situation would be for him to go unsigned for the first 10-12 games then have him come in as a Seahawk for the SuperB Owl run so he can be rested, ready to go, and to get his ring. :th2thumbs:

That's what I don't get. Yea, I know he's old, and he played a LOT more snaps than the Seahawks envisioned him playing last year, but he didn't show any signs of wearing down as the season went along. Matter of fact, when he had to switch to NT later in the season after Mebane went down, our run defense actually got better. Williams was a 3 tech, not a NT.

So, the whole "sign him late so he'll be fresh" thing just doesn't resonate with me.

This guy will be in TC somewhere. It's just weird we don't have him on the squad. Sure, maybe our younger guys will beat him out, but I don't think like guys like Scruggs are reliable (and I'm a fan of Scruggs, I see the potential). It's ironic: the reason you don't want an older squad is that they wear down later in the season and they're injury prone. So we're keeping him off the squad in favor of younger, but still injury prone players.

kearly

Reaction score
McGruff":3a2ffb06 said:
Hawks46":3a2ffb06 said:

Additionally, Williams played a run stopping role after Mebane went down last year. I think Seattle views Rubin as a similarly versatile player.

drdiags

Reaction score
Would love to see Kevin back here, but reading that Field Gulls report on him wanting to come back just shows how crowded that pool is. Now maybe most of those guys are just too unproven but sure seems like a long shot on him coming back.

I know fans love the cap and it helps motivate teams to always turn the roster but vets like Williams make me not be as geeked up about it. I guess it was those NBA and MLB guaranteed contracts that jaded your avg fan. It isn't like having the cap froze ticket prices and with the ever growing TV deals and potential 18 game schedules, the NFLPA should be pushing real hard to expand the rosters. But that is an argument for another day.

Tough call for K Williams last year. He should have gone Patriots looking back at it. I am sure he will be kicking himself to his grave unless he gets another chance to win the ring.