Doug Baldwin's opinion of Mebane.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
From facebook the other day(I don't Twitter).
Watching him train all off season, Brandon Mebane is in the best shape of his life and will have the best year of his career! Bet that!

nanomoz

Reaction score
Very cool. I think we'd have back-to-back super bowls if Bane wasn't hurt.

The number of people projecting he'd be cut still boggles my mind. Here, journalists, all over.

ivotuk

Reaction score
nanomoz":3frhae19 said:

The number of people projecting he'd be cut still boggles my mind. Here, journalists, all over.

I was going to say the same thing. Frankly though, all the reports earlier this year were making me nervous. Now, I have no worries whatsoevah!

Welcome Back Bane! :th2thumbs:

massari

Reaction score
nanomoz":19f0l8h5 said:

Three reasons why people saying he might get cut.

1.He's coming off injury
2.He's 30
3.They need cap room for Wilson/Wagner or free agents and cutting Mebane would save 5.5 million this season with only 200k in dead money.

But obviously if it's true that he looks better than ever, he should be staying put.

nanomoz

Reaction score
massari":232863ns said:
nanomoz":232863ns said:

Three reasons why people saying he might get cut.

1.He's coming off injury
2.He's 30
3.They need cap room for Wilson/Wagner or free agents and cutting Mebane would save 5.5 million this season with only 200k in dead money.

But obviously if it's true that he looks better than ever, he should be staying put.

Those are definitely the reasons, well stated. I just don't think they're good reasons when you're talking about a first-rate player at his position.

1.) It's a hamstring injury, which isn't anywhere near among the most-concerning for his position. If it was a structural foot injury or a hip flexor, I'd be concerned.
2.) 30 isn't a significant ledge for a player like him. He's a DT, not a RB. He's also 1-tech, and very good, "immovable" (Sherman's words) 1-techs are often effective into their mid-30's. Additionally, by many accounts, the last two seasons have been the best of his career as a run stopper.
3.) The Hawks have (according to spotrac) more than 10 million in cap space available. There's at least 15 teams with a less-favorable cap number. Moreover, Wagner and Wilson's cap numbers for 2015 aren't likely to change dramatically, even if they sign extensions (the Hawks have done a good job of not voiding "good rookie deals" whenever possible).

I suspect that the biggest factor in the "Mebane will be a cap casualty" sentiment was a lack of understanding that Mebane is at the top of his game, is among the best run defenders in the NFL, and is a pretty important part of a historic defense.