Clouds hanging over the 2015 season?

HawkMark1976

Reaction score
Long time Seahawks fan here-since 1976- who has lived in the Northeast my entire life. So it is great to finally join a forum to talk Seahawks news. :D

Tonight's first pre-season game, against the Broncos, will give us fans an idea on the condition of the secondary and O line. Since winning Super Bowl 48 just 2 years ago, the O line has lost 3 of its 5 starters. With Max Unger gone, who will step up to lead effectively the crew that needs to block for Marshawn and protect Russell?

The Secondary resembles a MASH unit. Sherman and Thomas are coming back from serious injuries and do not forget Kam Chancellor's knee injury days before SB 49. I wonder if his hold out and demand for more money up front is because he knows his legs or knees will not hold out for 3 more years? Jeremy Lane is not expected back until November so who will play nickel back effectively?

I love the 'hawks and want another Super Bowl win this year but starting the season with several major players out hurt or recovering from LAST year's serious injuries might sabotage 2015.

Rob12

Reaction score
I don't think so. I think the organization is taking things extremely slow with Earl. Sherman looks to be 100 percent. Kam is an obvious concern, but I just think the man wants more money. Either he'll get it or he won't, but either way he'll be a Seahawk for the next three seasons at least.

I really like Cary Williams. Will Blackmon in the nickel... This unit, based on scheme and sheer talent, will always shine. When some injuries heal, they'll be even stronger.

The jury is absolutely out on the offensive line. That's my biggest concern heading into this season as well. But the amount of talent on this roster is the highest it's ever been, which is saying a lot.

Believe.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Is this a glass half empty OP?

HM76, what about the additions of of Graham, Lockett as the returner , and Clark Hill and Marsh being added to the pass rush? Sure there are questions about the OLine but remember Pittsburgh won with a woefully weak OLine and we have several returning high quality backups who played on the OLine last season. iIf just one of the three newly drafted OLinemen proves to be adequate the team is fine and likely is better in terms of depth than last season.

The injuries are being managed and the PUP status of Lane and Simon will resolve as will the injuries to Sherman and Thomas. I'd bet that Thomas could play now if allowed as could Sherman and both would be effective. As soon as the clear financial reality of holding out become clear to Kam he'll be back and if he wants the team to redo his deal he'll play lights out. There is enough depth on the team right now to deal with all the exigencies of the injuries to the DBs and the honest reality is the depth might prove superior to some of the past depth.

My sense is the OLine won't be finalized until after the season starts and we will see lots of platooning over the 4 preseason games so Coach Cable can assess what he truly has to work with. in the end I'd expect an Oline as effective or slightly improved from that the team finished with last season.

c_hawkbob

Reaction score
HawkMark1976":3rrf3ttg said:
Long time Seahawks fan here-since 1976- who has lived in the Northeast my entire life. So it is great to finally join a forum to talk Seahawks news. :D

Tonight's first pre-season game, against the Broncos, will give us fans an idea on the condition of the secondary and O line. Since winning Super Bowl 48 just 2 years ago, the O line has lost 3 of its 5 starters. With Max Unger gone, who will step up to lead effectively the crew that needs to block for Marshawn and protect Russell?

The Secondary resembles a MASH unit. Sherman and Thomas are coming back from serious injuries and do not forget Kam Chancellor's knee injury days before SB 49. I wonder if his hold out and demand for more money up front is because he knows his legs or knees will not hold out for 3 more years? Jeremy Lane is not expected back until November so who will play nickel back effectively?

I love the 'hawks and want another Super Bowl win this year but starting the season with several major players out hurt or recovering from LAST year's serious injuries might sabotage 2015.
You sir, tend toward overstatement and have a flare for the dramatic. Welcome home.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
think op concerns are valid...glad hes a fan that can take the blue goggles off and see past what so many others see here. hope the hawks are ready to go. welcome to the board op.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1kjkqol2 said:
Is this a glass half empty OP?

the_glass_is_always_full_by_bluetalon123-d4jw8l0.jpg

capncrunch

Reaction score
Nice post OP. We need a mixture of glass is half full and half empty guys to make this site interesting. Cable is saying he's thrilled with the talent he has to work with on the O-line. I really hope that he really thinks that and it's not just spin. I hope they are gravitating towards a line that is more suited to pass blocking. If they can be even average in protection and with some bigger targets for RW, we can finally see what he can really do. Perhaps we can cut down on the penalties a little bit and improve the playcalling a bit also I see a team that can put up a lot of points. The return game should also greatly improve. So, even if the defense takes a small step back we should be a better team on balance. I am very excited and optimistic about the upcoming season. I have stayed off the site since February so hello all. Happy to be back!

Seafan

Reaction score
Nice post and I'm sure your concerns are shared by many. The performance was somewhat predictable and I expect the OL to play better and the defense will definitely improve when the LOB gets in there.

I'm excited by what Clark and Marsh bring to the defense which we could surely have used in the playoffs last year.

Lockett gives us something we had back in 2013, field position.

I think the depth will be fine and am hopeful that some of these young guys have some real potention so the longer term outlook to me is improved over the spring. The safeties are still a question mark but we sure do have a lot of them. The practice squad will be strong safeties, guards and WRs.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Last year our Oline was nearly as bad as it is now and both our secondary and the Dline were busted up by injuries. All this and we still almost won the Superbowl.

The Dline is now fully functional and the LoB members are on their way back. Once the reg season starts we will be dominating. Even with this Oline.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":152mkdgm said:
Hawkfan509":152mkdgm said:
What's are,"couds "?

Why is there a question mark outside of your quotation?

Always appropriate when not a direct quotation, but when used for emphasis. :th2thumbs:

OP
OP
H

HawkMark1976

Reaction score
Guess I forgot to type in the "L" in my original subject line about the O Line. I have never been a good typist :eek:

Its always good to be a concerned fan and keep an eye on the Hawks strengths and weaknesses and not over react to game 1 of preseason. The O line should settle down with time. The bigger concern should be the secondary starters nursing wounds from January, injuries suffered 8 months ago. How strong is Sherman's recently healed elbow? How strong and stable is Thomas shoulder?

I just saw for the first time a youtube video post of the horrific Super Bowl fall and destruction of Jeremy Lane's hand. Understandably his injuries will take the longest to heal. I wish him the best of recoveries for his health and hope he can return to playing football soon. Last time I heard he is not due back from the wrist and knee injuries until November. Is that still accurate?

The more I have thought about it the less I believe the Seahawks will give in and push money forward to make Kam happy in his contract demands. The team does not want to set a precedent in redoing a players contract with more than one year left and I do not blame them. If they open that Pandora box then everyone will want more money and such chaos could destroy team morale.

As fans we need to understand Kam might not begin begin playing until September or October or - shocker- he could be traded. The Seahawks have proven they are willing to make bold moves to improve the team so does that mean Kam is playing chicken with Seattle management and could loose ?

Latest posts