Some thoughts on the game

GemCity

Reaction score
My good friend is a Bengals season ticket holder and was nice enough to take me to the game today. I had never been to Cincinnati. I have to say their fan base, as I met them, were mostly super nice and supportive of their team instead of trash talking Seahawks fans. I was also proud that there were a lot of Seahawks fans in that stadium.
Felt like we were going to win until the last series.
We live close to Cincinnati and hit their games quite often. Our AFC team if you will…

I’ve never had a problem there. Although as we were walking out from this last game, a middle aged guy came up to me and said “Whooooooooo Deeeyyyyyyyyy” in a growling voice. I considered face mushing him but…

If you can deal with the “Who Deys”, it’s generally peaceful.

Unlike the last two road games we hit (Indy and Detroit).

GemCity

Reaction score
When you watch the games on TV, you often don’t see all of the receivers unless they’re targeted.

Geno looked hesitant and wasn’t making all of his reads. He was telegraphing big time. I like Geno. I love his story and I don’t consider this game vs Cincy to be indicative of what he can do. But, JSN should be a bit ticked off. Of course, he had some decent numbers in this game but he was open…a lot. When Geno tucked the ball and ran, JSN sat there with his hands up…no defender within 5 yards. Maybe more.

Brutal honesty here…I don’t think Geno has it in him to take this team very far. I don’t have a solution…I don’t think Lock is going to do any better. Considering our Red Zone performance with the weapons we have…

Perhaps it’s Waldron. I’m holding out a bit as there’s the possibility that Geno wasn’t 100% out there.

But we looked pretty bad when we got close.

It’s not a unique “problem”. Look across the league and you’ll see a slew of teams that have QB issues. The need at the most valuable position is at an all-time high. I expect there to be a ton of QBs picked up in this next draft.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
The play calling was abysmal in the red zone. I put a lot of that lack of success on Waldron. Just pathetic.
I agree, but also the execution on the plays he called was not good. Maybe the defense anticipated the playcallng. I want to see some NEW stuff in the red zone next game.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Watch Haynes on 4th and Goal. (9:41 mark)
Watch Bradford/Curran on 4th and 8 (11:16 mark)
Haynes and Curhan were both fighting through injury because they basically had to. The result was poor, but criticizing them for it is misguided. Bradford had a good game upon review with a few blown protections but above average play on average.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Haynes and Curhan were both fighting through injury because they basically had to. The result was poor, but criticizing them for it is misguided. Bradford had a good game upon review with a few blown protections but above average play on average.
The thing is, was Waldron not privy to the injury report? If he knew that even the back ups weren't 100% healthy, why call long developing plays, and where were the TEs to help block? Where were the quick passes, or roll outs to move Geno out of the pocket? A lot of those red zone plays made zero sense.

Kamcussionator

Reaction score
If you watch the clips I annotated you’ll see Haynes planked out and being driven like a blocking sled until he is literally laying on the ground.

In the other Bradford and Curran are completely flummoxed by a twist and wind up standing confused at the LOS while the two guys they were supposed to blocking were lying atop the quarterback.

Not sure how either of those plays related to injuries, but even so if they are getting slapped around due to injury then it would be wise to move the pocket, roll out the qb, or use screens/misdirection to slow down the pass rush.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Listening to some podcasts about the week in review (national, not Seahawk focused), the general consensus was more about giving props to Lou Anarumo and what he threw out at Geno, particularly on 3rd down. I have heard him get praise in the past the way he does mix things up and change on the fly....going back to when they shut the Chiefs down in the 2nd half of the AFC final 2 years ago.
"Big Lou" ad Ben Solak calls him got the better of Geno for sure. But the guys I listen give more credit to the DC and didnt' express concerns about Geno long term.

It made me feel better to hear that.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Listening to some podcasts about the week in review (national, not Seahawk focused), the general consensus was more about giving props to Lou Anarumo and what he threw out at Geno, particularly on 3rd down. I have heard him get praise in the past the way he does mix things up and change on the fly....going back to when they shut the Chiefs down in the 2nd half of the AFC final 2 years ago.
"Big Lou" ad Ben Solak calls him got the better of Geno for sure. But the guys I listen give more credit to the DC and didnt' express concerns about Geno long term.

It made me feel better to hear that.
Anarumo is a killer. He's legit. The Bengals have an underrated front-7, too, and that's not even Anarumo's bread-and-butter. Hendrickson especially is a top-5 to top-10 edge in the league.

Combination of a lot of bad things at once for Seattle. OL finally cracked against a legit team, and Geno (and Seattle as a whole) largely didn't have answers for it on third and in the redzone.

I'm not overly concerned with anything, other than the fact that the team still is capable of getting punched in the mouth on offense from time to time.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Not sure how either of those plays related to injuries, but even so if they are getting slapped around due to injury then it would be wise to move the pocket, roll out the qb, or use screens/misdirection to slow down the pass rush.
I don't disagree, and some of the difficulty was also Geno struggling to get the ball out as quickly as you'd like with so many OL injuries.

My point is mostly that posters tend to conflate poor execution with poor ability. When players are toughing it out through injury that's an asterisk that should be a credit to their ledger rather than an opportunity for insult.

I'm not overly concerned with anything, other than the fact that the team still is capable of getting punched in the mouth on offense from time to time.
I agree; we lost a close east coast road game to a team that has been either AFC champion or runner up AFC champion the last two seasons. The frustrating part is how close we were to winning it.