Who the hell is 93?

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I don't remember if that was his number last year, but when I saw King get in with the ones on a couple series in the preseason I found myself asking just that. Many were pretty bummed that McGill got away from us in favor of King, but King really did stand out. It comes down to a numbers game because McGill is a NT/1 tech prospect and not a 3 tech. I think it's pretty obvious that the FO feels that Rubin can play in Bane's place if need be, and they want emphasis on rushing the passer. Yes, that means, if what I saw in the preseason holds true, King is the 3 tech/pass rushing backup to Hill.

I thought he did provide some really good glimpses rushing the passer, but where I really saw something was where he was in with the ones and took the guard, laterally no less, nearly all the way to sideline, pushing him backwards at the same time, and made the TFL on the RB. None of that is common. This guy has outstanding athletic ability and I'd bet he's probably somewhere around 290-295 instead of the 280something he's listed at. This is your backup to Hill. He earned it.

EDIT: It wasn't his number last year. That belonged to Schofield.

Rob12

Reaction score
King looked good.

I was bummed about McGill too, but obviously Pete likes King more for what the Hawks are doing on defense.

Anyone know the last player that PC has cut that turned into a star elsewhere? I know Ron Parker in KC is good, but dude had to cycle through five teams before he found his way in this league. Just curious if the talent that has been let go of here has materialized anywhere else. I can't think of much.

It's kind of hard not to trust that King fits better here than McGill would - as much as it sucks to lose him.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
There must be something going on because some of the moves are rather baffeling to me.

This one, King/McGill

Keeping Lockette
Why two fullbacks when Fred can play as FB as well. Would Fred/Lynch be a dynamic backfield?

Of course, I never understood why we had 3 TE's in the super bowl and at the end of the day, we desperately needed DB's and didn't have any.

It's a mystery.

Seafan

Reaction score
King can play DE and DT and special teams. He has seemed to pick up his play from last season.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
True. I remember all tears for Seth or Sean McGrath.

I honestly thought McGill was a shoe in but again the pre-season we see from the television is just not the same pre-season from in the coaches eyes.

We have no clue what staff is wanting thier players to work on out there.

Player A could be struggling but if he's maintaining his assignment and working on the things they wanted him too then he could get positive grades.

Player B could be dominating but is going off script and not maintaining his assignment, he could have a negative grade.

We as fans put too much stock into the pre-season without ever knowing"what the deal"is behind the scenes.

On topic, King looks solid too and I also think he's closer to 300 than he is 280. I say 295. Eye test is easy, Carroll said Clark is playing at 280 and he's 6'4 like King. King looks bigger.

But either way the guy is athletic, fast, strong, and long. The formula should look familar.

King ran in the 4.7s at 275, 32" in vert, 9 1/2 ft Broad Jump, and he has long 34" inch arms in which he put up a solid 27 bench reps.

He definately jumps off the charts, I thought he was pretty solid last year in his limited playing opportunity and looked again very good this pre-season.

What also makes King intriguing is he's been very versatile throughout his career: he can 1-gap, 2-gap, or play the edge.

If King progression continues to do well King might have a future at starting 3Tech in 2016 with Hil filling Mebane's shoes if need be.

And it will be hard not develop positively as a young Dlinemen when you got a Quinn disciple in Travis Jones, and legendary Dwayne Board as coaches and veterans like Bennett, Mebane, Avril and Rubin available to you. Not to mention the time these guys (save for Clark) spent with Quinn, Kevin Williams and Tony McDaniel last year.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Bobblehead":1jn6aotw said:
There must be something going on because some of the moves are rather baffeling to me.

This one, King/McGill

Keeping Lockette
Why two fullbacks when Fred can play as FB as well. Would Fred/Lynch be a dynamic backfield?

Of course, I never understood why we had 3 TE's in the super bowl and at the end of the day, we desperately needed DB's and didn't have any.

It's a mystery.

I doubt youd want a 34 Fred Jackson to play FB. The dude can ball out and pass block but lead blocking is an entirely different game.

You also cant trust Coleman to stay healthy. Both are also very vetsatile with DC being a ST standout. Tukuafu probably being groomed as a blocking TE and can help the DLine if needed especially on the Practice field.

Rob12

Reaction score
Tuk is BJ Daniels and these coaches love versatility. If you think these coaches kept him because of his abilities at FB you're sadly mistaken.

The team just wasn't ready to move on from DC, and I understand why. For a run first team, we need some hosses. Pretty simple.

I'm good with where we sit at RB.

peppersjap

Reaction score
I do think Tukaufu (not sure of spelling) has played well for us but I think he is a huge waste of a position. He was very solid for us down the stretch last year but not sure why we are keeping him now? If he was a stud anywhere that is where he would be, we now have Coleman so not sure where they project him? He is a very big body but really think he is a waste of an available roster spot. If he is a DL I think we have better options!

OP
OP
vin.couve12

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Thought crossed my mind that Coleman is, for now or until the Jackson signing was official, the emergency backup RB. Jackson still has to learn the playbook and Rawls, being a rookie, still needs to learn the intricacies of the position as well as expanding the playbook. FB isn't necessarily set in stone right now.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Fade":3letznr8 said:
2 Fullbacks /thread

1. Glad that you blessed us with your all saying omniscient presence to end a tread about David King.

2. 2 FBs is the Half Empty look. The Half Full loom is two Football Players who can play FB amongst other things.

3. Not to eat my own words. David King is a good comp for Clinton McDonald (as well as Frank Clark) in recent Seahawks memory. Don was the better athlete who could explode off the ball but King is probably the more versatile of two and his elite length paired with outstanding athleticism makes him a potentially disruptive player.

49ers spent a 2nd round pick with a player with similar specs in Tank Carradine.

Overall though, David King's full potential if he stays within the 290-300 range is Rocky Bernard. Pretty much the same disruptive length and pound-for-pound athleticism.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I never got the McGill love. Yes he made some splash plays, and was fast on his feet, but was guessing, getting pushed around, and didn't look to me like he was staying in the framework of the D. He got snapped up by someone else, anohter team that has developed a few linemen, so we will see...

StaffAmerica74

Reaction score
Rob12":2wgl6rmr said:
King looked good.

Anyone know the last player that PC has cut that turned into a star elsewhere? I know Ron Parker in KC is good, but dude had to cycle through five teams before he found his way in this league. Just curious if the talent that has been let go of here has materialized anywhere else. I can't think of much.

Parrish Cox looked good for the 9ers after we cut him in 13

Alexander

Reaction score
StaffAmerica74":1ari6pkw said:
Rob12":1ari6pkw said:
King looked good.

Parrish Cox looked good for the 9ers after we cut him in 13

Jaye Howard. Chiefs fans seem to really like the player he's turned into.

Alexander

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3id8060t said:
I never got the McGill love. Yes he made some splash plays, and was fast on his feet, but was guessing, getting pushed around, and didn't look to me like he was staying in the framework of the D. He got snapped up by someone else, anohter team that has developed a few linemen, so we will see...

Splash plays have a way of catching people's attention. Carroll specifically mentioned that McGill was freelancing too much, so it's not surprising that he didn't make the final cut. Obviously it would've been nice to have kept him on the practice squad, but oh well.

Alexander

Reaction score
Re: having two fullbacks on the roster. Remember, Tukuafu can also play DT in a pinch, and Coleman is regarded as one of the best players on special teams. His absence on ST last year was sorely missed, more so than his absence at FB.

It's not always about the listed position on offense or defense.

kearly

Reaction score
Alexander":1kp367e0 said:
Jaye Howard. Chiefs fans seem to really like the player he's turned into.

That cut really bothered me. He flashed dominance both preseasons he was with us, and the 2nd year he looked stout against the run too. Looked like he was developing into a gem, and then he got cut. But at least now, I feel like Seattle can take no names at DT and make them into good rotational players, so it doesn't bug me anymore when they cut a DT I like.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":l7tkfo21 said:

I can't speak for all of McGill's fans but for me it was that he had the fast first step in a big body. You don't see that combination often. Like you I thought his performance was a little overblown on this board, but I figured he'd make it based on traits alone.

King looked good too, I just thought McGill's skillset was more uncommon and figured the Seahawks would keep and develop him for that reason, especially with Mebane turning 31 in January.