Ahlers is interesting to me

LTH

Reaction score
I rewatched both pre season games and I REALLY like this guy. I like his toughness, he keeps the D guessing and adds another dimension to the Seahawks O. I think he is smart and I like the fact he is a lefty. He needs to develope more as a passer but my gosh, can you imagine what this guy would be like if they can refine him to have a 70% pass ratio?

After seeing this guy for 2 games, what are somethings that you guys like about Ahlers?

I think after being in Carroll's system for a couple of years, that he can push Lock big time. I have never seen such depth at QB for the Hawks.

Does Ahlers make it through waivers to the practice squad? Somebody might snag him up that would be a real downer for me.

Thoughts and reactions? Go ahead and educate me.

LTH

Seahawker

Reaction score
I think with the new rules making it easier to keep three QB's, this would be the perfect time to carry the gutty lefty.
Insurance against injury & illness, Ahlers seems to have that spark and would be a good set of footsteps to have behind Geno/Lock. Plus he might evolve into trade bait.

bileever

Reaction score
The new rule allows you to dress a third quarterback on game days without it counting toward the 46-player total, but this doesn't make it any easier to sneak a guy onto your practice squad.

Will Ahlers get through waivers? I think so, but it's hard to know for sure. I know that many teams, including the Chargers, Steeler, Giants, Packers, Jets and Panthers, met with him prior to the draft. NFL Trade Rumors says that he met "extensively" with the Chargers pre-draft and that he had 3 meetings with the Packers. So he's on the radar for some teams. Also, we only paid him a $1000 bonus, so it's not like he was a high demand UDFA.

Also, in order to poach someone off the practice squad, you have to put him on your 53-man roster, and I think most teams are set with their backup QB and won't have room for a third on their 53-man roster.

kidhawk

Reaction score
The new rule allows you to dress a third quarterback on game days without it counting toward the 46-player total, but this doesn't make it any easier to sneak a guy onto your practice squad.

I'm not 100% on this, but I believe that to dress a third quarterback who doesn't count against the active list, they still have to be on the roster (not the practice squad), so that would eliminate the ability to keep him stashed on the PS, at least not for too long, because if you call him up too many times you have to keep him up. So, at some point, he'd have to be part of the 53 which would eliminate a positional player.

Personally, I'd rather have the positional player over a third string quarterback. Of course I'm not Pete, so we'll have to wait and see how he wants to play it. I'm just saying, that if it were me, i'd risk putting him on the PS and work on his development.

knownone

Reaction score
Ahlers doesn't pass the eye test for me. He looks like a punter behind center.

But I agree with SH. He could be a serviceable 3rd-string QB. And his running ability gives him some roster utility as a gadget guy. Although, he's too slow to fill that role consistently, like Taysom Hill.

bileever

Reaction score
I'm not 100% on this, but I believe that to dress a third quarterback who doesn't count against the active list, they still have to be on the roster (not the practice squad), so that would eliminate the ability to keep him stashed on the PS, at least not for too long, because if you call him up too many times you have to keep him up. So, at some point, he'd have to be part of the 53 which would eliminate a positional player.

Personally, I'd rather have the positional player over a third string quarterback. Of course I'm not Pete, so we'll have to wait and see how he wants to play it. I'm just saying, that if it were me, i'd risk putting him on the PS and work on his development.
I think you're right. You couldn't use him regularly as the 3rd QB unless you had him on the 53-man roster. I don't think it makes sense to have a third-string QB take up a roster spot.

nanomoz

Reaction score
His mechanics are some of the worst I've ever seen. The Tim Tebow comparisons feel right.

But he also puts off a vibe that my instincts tell me I shouldn't bet against.

morgulon1

Reaction score
His mechanics are some of the worst I've ever seen. The Tim Tebow comparisons feel right.

But he also puts off a vibe that my instincts tell me I shouldn't bet against.
His mechanics aren't any worse than another QB from the Florida Gators recently taken by the Colts.

nanomoz

Reaction score
His mechanics aren't any worse than another QB from the Florida Gators recently taken by the Colts.
Richardson's aren't good. But to my eye, Ahlers's are much, much worse. Maybe it's because he's a lefty . . . I don't know. But a lot of Ahlers's throws don't even havet he ball rising above his facemask.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I like Ahlers. He shows progress and smarts. Great example of the kind of developmental QB the Hawks need to keep around.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I would be curious about actually dressing him on gamedays and using him like Taysom Hill. He has a unique toughness and can contribute with his legs, especially on short yardage out of special packages.

Smellyman

Reaction score
He did play 6 seasons in college 14000 97td 37int 60%, 1400 rushing. In the day of video game numbers for QBs in college the numbers are just ok.

He would be a good emergency QB. A lefty who can run can really keep a D of balance for a game or two

sc85sis

Reaction score
He did play 6 seasons in college 14000 97td 37int 60%, 1400 rushing. In the day of video game numbers for QBs in college the numbers are just ok.

He would be a good emergency QB. A lefty who can run can really keep a D of balance for a game or two
He played 55 games over five seasons. Doing the math, he averaged 253.2 yards a game. Yeah, not as impressive as it sounds when you hear the total with no context.

Donn2390

Reaction score

But I agree with SH. He could be a serviceable 3rd-string QB. And his running ability gives him some roster utility as a gadget guy. Although, he's too slow to fill that role consistently, like Taysom Hill.
His resume certainly passes the eye test.....

Boohman14

Reaction score

But I agree with SH. He could be a serviceable 3rd-string QB. And his running ability gives him some roster utility as a gadget guy. Although, he's too slow to fill that role consistently, like Taysom Hil
I think of Jon Ryan.
He actually reminds me of a young Sonny Jergenson of the 60's early 70's Redskins. I was in like 3rd grade when Sonny played.