Is Steven Hauschka clutch?

hawknation2015

Reaction score
morris-feature-nfcwest2015-2.png

He has missed only one kick in the fourth quarter, and it was from more than 60 yards. He was 10-0 in the fourth quarter when 3 or fewer points separated the two teams. He has more misses in the third quarter, but most of them came with his team already up multiple scores. In close situations (within 3 points) he was 14-1. He has missed only three of 39 attempts at any point in the game with his team trailing at all. He has missed five of 45 attempts when his team was tied (and only one of the misses was shorter than 50 yards). Whether or not “clutch” is real, so far Hauschka looks like what we’d want clutch to look like.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/eve ... and-49ers/

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
Well I'd call that a big fat yes. Cool charts, interesting to see it that way. And telling.

sutz

Reaction score
For me, "clutch" boils down to one thing, how many game winners has he made/missed?

Frankly, I may be wrong but I can't remember a game winner that he has missed. :229031_shrug:

Mick063

Reaction score
I wouldn't want anyone else kicking with the game on the line.

Seattle has the best punter and kicker in the league. The best kick coverage in the league. And now....perhaps the best returner in the league.

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
Frankly, one of the most clutch things #4 ever did was swearing off the 53-yarder in the 2014 NFCCG on 4th down when the team was behind. Knowing when the odds are legitimately insurmountable is just as important as the confidence that you can overcome them.

sutz

Reaction score
Our Man in Chicago":ovjyuh1n said:
Frankly, one of the most clutch things #4 ever did was swearing off the 53-yarder in the 2014 NFCCG on 4th down when the team was behind. Knowing when the odds are legitimately insurmountable is just as important as the confidence that you can overcome them.
Good call. Most players will try to macho it out. Knowing when to go for it and when not to shows guts and intelligence.