Geno Is a Bridge, Nothing More

Fade

Reaction score
I get the logic of having Geno in place as the starter for 2024 as they have turned over 99% of the coaching staff, and they need stability at QB right now. But make no mistake he is a bridge, nothing more.

The standards for QB have really fallen off around here. Wilson was god awful in 2021 (supposedly), and Geno has been much better (also supposedly.)

Taking Geno's two best stretches of play as pointed out by John Schneider is where things get interesting.

Geno-2022 First 9 Starts:

W/L: 6-3

Yards: 2199
Comp: 73.4%
TDs: 15
INTs: 4
Passer Rating: 107.4

Geno-2023 Last 7 Starts (Missed 2 games due to injury):

W/L: 3-4 (The defense was trash.)

Yards: 1822
Comp: 64.23%
TDs: 11
INTs: 2
Passer Rating: 98.0

Combined:

16 Games
365/528
4021 yards
26 TDs
6 INTs
Passer Rating: 103.1

For context:

Russell Wison's last season in Seattle (2021):

13 Games
259/400
3113 yards
25 TDs
6 INTs

Pretty crazy! Russell Wilson's washed up season in Seattle where he took a lot of heat playing with a busted right throwing hand, looks eerily similar to Geno's best two stretches in 2022 and 2023 stitched together.

I point this out to emphasize that they desperately need a franchise QB, and Geno is merely the bridge.

I stumbled into these numbers purely on accident, as I thought about what it would look like if Geno's 1st half of '22 and 2nd half of '23 were combined, thinking they would be MVP numbers. Instead to my surprise, they are just washed up Wilson numbers from 2021.

Where Geno stacks up against all 32 starters, currently.

Ranking all 32 QBs for the upcoming 2024 season:

01 Patrick Mahomes
02 Josh Allen
03 Joe Burrow
04 Justin Herbert
05 Lamar Jackson

06 Jordan Love
07 C.J. Stroud
08 Matt Stafford
09 Jared Goff
10 Aaron Rodgers

11 Kirk Cousins
12 Baker Mayfield
13 Trevor Lawrence
14 Brock Purdy
15 Jalen Hurts

16 Caleb Williams
17 Kyler Murray
18 Gardner Minshew
19 Joe Flacco
20 Russell Wilson

21 Dak Prescott
22 Geno Smith
23 Derek Carr
24 Tua Turnthaballova
25 Jayden Daniels

26 Will Levis
27 Anthony Richardson
28 Justin Fields
29 Michael Penix Jr.
30 Drake May

31 Bo Nix
32 Bryce Young

xray

Reaction score
^
I agree that Smith will be the starter , because of stability at the most important position for this season , and nothing more . The Hawks can then concentrate on the things that need more attention . The Hawks have no delusions of Smith taking them to the promised land this season . I think they will be thrilled with 9 wins . 2025 is the year they really are planning for , without Smith . imho

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I get the logic of having Geno in place as the starter for 2024 as they have turned over 99% of the coaching staff, and they need stability at QB right now. But make no mistake he is a bridge, nothing more.

The standards for QB have really fallen off around here. Wilson was god awful in 2021 (supposedly), and Geno has been much better (also supposedly.)

Taking Geno's two best stretches of play as pointed out by John Schneider is where things get interesting.

Combined:

16 Games
365/528
4021 yards
26 TDs
6 INTs

For context:

13 Games
259/400
3113 yards
25 TDs
6 INTs

Pretty crazy! Russell Wilson's washed up season in Seattle where he took a lot of heat playing with a busted right throwing hand, looks eerily similar to Geno's best two stretches in 2022 and 2023 stitched together.

I point this out to emphasize that they desperately need a franchise QB, and Geno is merely the bridge.

I stumbled into these numbers purely on accident, as I thought about what it would look like if Geno's 1st half of '22 and 2nd half of '23 were combined, thinking they would be MVP numbers. Instead to my surprise, they are just washed up Wilson numbers from 2021.

01 Patrick Mahomes
02 Josh Allen
03 Joe Burrow
04 Justin Herbert
05 Lamar Jackson

06 Jordan Love
07 C.J. Stroud
08 Matt Stafford
09 Jared Goff
10 Aaron Rodgers

11 Kirk Cousins
12 Baker Mayfield
13 Trevor Lawrence
14 Brock Purdy
15 Jalen Hurts

16 Caleb Williams
17 Kyler Murray
18 Gardner Minshew
19 Joe Flacco
20 Russell Wilson

21 Dak Prescott
22 Geno Smith
23 Derek Carr
24 Tua Turnthaballova
25 Jayden Daniels

26 Will Levis
27 Anthony Richardson
28 Justin Fields
29 Michael Penix Jr.
30 Drake May

31 Bo Nix
32 Bryce Young
Gardner Minshew above Dak and Geno is absolute Cowherdism

DirectMessage

Reaction score
Most people are worried that we don't draft the QBOTF this year so he won't sit behind Geno for a year. Geno should put up monster numbers under Grubb, which might muddy the waters. It's a legitimate concern, tbf.

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
How does he provide “stability” in a system that is unknown to everyone at this time? Just because he may know where to park and where the bathrooms are mean nothing. If he is not part of the long term plans we should have someone who is taking their lumps during a throw away season. Not a $30m fossil QB.

WarHawks

Reaction score
I agree that we've really lowered the bar for qb play over the last few years, and I find it incredibly frustrating. We had a top nfl qb here for years, and we know what a really good qb looks like. Knowing that, what good does it do for the team to see Geno win 8 or 9 games and maybe make the playoffs and get bounced, if he's not going to be here long term? That sets us backwards, not forward. We have the giant red reset button sitting before us. JS already pressed it with the coaching changes. I hope he presses it again for a qb change, instead of just staring at it for another year. The status quo just seems pointless and a counterproductive, complete waste of time to me. If you're not moving forward, you're moving backwards, because the rest of the league is moving forward at warp speed. But what do I know. I'm just a fan on the internet.

Last edited:

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I'm okay with Geno being a bridge. It doesn't make sense to trade him before or during the draft. If traded, his $27M dead money hit would certainly hurt... and then you still need to sign whoever John wants under center this year... be it Locke or somebody else.

The time to cut Geno is after this year and before the 2025 season starts.

Geno had his time in the sun... and did okay, but he's not the QBOTF for the Hawks.

I want John to draft a QB not later than the 3rd round.

DirectMessage

Reaction score
If Lock walks this year, would it be smart to draft 2 qb's in the this draft?

hawkfan68

Reaction score

Combined:

16 Games
365/528
4021 yards
26 TDs
6 INTs

For context:

13 Games
259/400
3113 yards
25 TDs
6 INTs

01 Patrick Mahomes
02 Josh Allen
03 Joe Burrow
04 Justin Herbert
05 Lamar Jackson

06 Jordan Love
07 C.J. Stroud
08 Matt Stafford
09 Jared Goff
10 Aaron Rodgers

11 Kirk Cousins
12 Baker Mayfield
13 Trevor Lawrence
14 Brock Purdy
15 Jalen Hurts

16 Caleb Williams
17 Kyler Murray
18 Gardner Minshew
19 Joe Flacco
20 Russell Wilson

21 Dak Prescott
22 Geno Smith
23 Derek Carr
24 Tua Turnthaballova
25 Jayden Daniels

26 Will Levis
27 Anthony Richardson
28 Justin Fields
29 Michael Penix Jr.
30 Drake May

31 Bo Nix
32 Bryce Young
Ranking a player who isn't even drafted and hasn't played a single down in the NFL at #16 is highly illogical. Even Bryce Young currently is better than those undrafted for the sheer fact he's played in a NFL game that counts.

keasley45

Reaction score
How does he provide “stability” in a system that is unknown to everyone at this time? Just because he may know where to park and where the bathrooms are mean nothing. If he is not part of the long term plans we should have someone who is taking their lumps during a throw away season. Not a $30m fossil QB.
He provides stability by removing the variable of having a qb who is less capable at running the plays and the offense as it was designed.

With Geno, troubleshooting what's working and what isn't is more straightforward because he will execute the offense as scripted. Grubb, won't have to lighten the load or install gameday plans with a limited number of plays or concepts because his QB is green. Regardless of how talented a rookie is, they are virtually always running a truncated version of the playbook. Either in terms of the complexity of plays, being limited in audibling, line calls, or reducing reads to one side of the field. A rook will also more than likely be challenged in grasping terminology in making the leap from the college game to the pros. Geno won't have that limitation.

With Peetz orchestrating play design and essentially porting Grubbs system into 'NFL language' and format, the offense will be more effective, faster than if a rookie or FA came in. Unless that FA was familiar with the Rams system, as Geno and Peetz are - its the framework upon which a lot of Grubbs concepts will be hung - at the very least in terms of terminology.

Hawknight

Reaction score
I think he does better this season under better coaching, stability.
It's hard to say for sure, some players may not adapt to utterly new playbook updates, game plans. Geno could excel and flourish or crash and burn, nothing's for certain. You have to take also in consideration that Geno's age and health will also be likely factors going forward, if he's on the roster come the new season. Russ made great use of his legs when he first started and was full of youth, but you could see him slowing down in his last few seasons before he left. I just hope if we roll with Geno, we have a great backup plan (calling on Lock) and/or someone else, if Lock isn't on the roster. Geno's experienced some kind of injury each season so far, shoulder in 2022 and groin in 2023. Not noting that as any kind of judgement, but just to to keep in mind. As far as stability with this team, that is still a ? as nothing has quite happened yet with the rosters and may be a year out before we know what kind of stability we have with this team. Roster changes and some coaches with little to no NFL experience still has to be tested before any kind of evaluation can even take place.