Assistant Ref shouldn't have corrected the onside kick call

mikeak

Reaction score
That is all speculation

Could as well be that one guy saw it differently and said so

Either way it was the right call so no issues with it either

HawkFan72

Reaction score
It was the right call, and if anything the Hawks should have been penalized for hitting a guy who called for fair catch. If the call had stood and the Hawks had won, I'm sure that's all we'd be hearing in the media anyway. How the "Seahawks win again on another botched call".

hawknation2015

Reaction score
It would not have been a great way to win a football game on a missed review due to a technicality of procedure. They got the call right . . . we missed up . . . that is all that matters.

kidhawk

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2gbu6kj9 said:
It was the right call, and if anything the Hawks should have been penalized for hitting a guy who called for fair catch. If the call had stood and the Hawks had won, I'm sure that's all we'd be hearing in the media anyway. How the "Seahawks win again on another botched call".

Honestly, I'm glad they got it right in the end, because I'd rather games be won/lost by the play of the teams, but if it is true that the replay official in the booth called down to alert them of the error, then something should be done, either change the rule to allow that, or punish him for breaking the rule as it was not a call that could be reviewed, so there should be no contact from the booth. Either way it shouldn't and doesn't change the outcome of the game.

Rex

Reaction score
kidhawk":22u46lk7 said:
HawkFan72":22u46lk7 said:

Honestly, I'm glad they got it right in the end, because I'd rather games be won/lost by the play of the teams, but if it is true that the replay official in the booth called down to alert them of the error, then something should be done, either change the rule to allow that, or punish him for breaking the rule as it was not a call that could be reviewed, so there should be no contact from the booth. Either way it shouldn't and doesn't change the outcome of the game.

In OT it is a booth review. Even then the officials on the field only got it half right since the Seahawks should have been penalized 15 yards.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Rex":1p91kvy4 said:
kidhawk":1p91kvy4 said:
HawkFan72":1p91kvy4 said:

In OT it is a booth review. Even then the officials on the field only got it half right since the Seahawks should have been penalized 15 yards.

It's only booth review for plays that are reviewable. That particular play is not reviewable, therefor there is no booth review possible

kobebryant

Reaction score
As long as they got it right, which they did, is what matters to me.

Besides, we probably had 2-4 guys get away with 15 yard penalties for hitting the returner after a fair catch signal.

The end result of the game was just; the Rams played well, hard, and inspired while the Hawks barely showed up.

Ozzy

Reaction score
kidhawk":3efmdgvs said:
Rex":3efmdgvs said:
kidhawk":3efmdgvs said:
HawkFan72":3efmdgvs said:

It's only booth review for plays that are reviewable. That particular play is not reviewable, therefor there is no booth review possible

Kid is right, that play wasn't reviewable. I agree that I'm glad they got it right but if it did come from above its something they need to make sure doesn't happen again. They have it set up that way for a reason.

themunn

Reaction score
the way they changed it after it was announced - it felt like they'd seen it on the big screen or something and realised their mistake.

in a way I'm glad the right call won out, but at the same time feel like we'd never benefit from such a situation ourselves

CalboHawk

Reaction score
On the one hand getting the call right feels better, but the problem is when getting the right call becomes selective.

Maybe it is only me, but to some degree offensive holding occurs on almost every play and it becomes a discretionary decision whether it will be called or not. If on the replay we see an uncalled holding, the announcers say that the offensive lineman "got away with one" but obviously the non-call alters the game as much as a called hold.

Selective discretion can be abused in subtle ways and can therefore subtly alter outcomes selectively.

Maybe Triplette got the initial call wrong, but within the administrative rules someone shouldn't have been allowed to influence him after his call because the call was not reviewable.

Expecting perfection is not realistic, but knowingly breaking the rules to fix a botched call is also not acceptable.

formido

Reaction score
CalboHawk":2mopcoyw said:
On the one hand getting the call right feels better, but the problem is when getting the right call becomes selective.

Maybe it is only me, but to some degree offensive holding occurs on almost every play and it becomes a discretionary decision whether it will be called or not. If on the replay we see an uncalled holding, the announcers say that the offensive lineman "got away with one" but obviously the non-call alters the game as much as a called hold.

Selective discretion can be abused in subtle ways and can therefore subtly alter outcomes selectively.

Maybe Triplette got the initial call wrong, but within the administrative rules someone shouldn't have been allowed to influence him after his call because the call was not reviewable.

Expecting perfection is not realistic, but knowingly breaking the rules to fix a botched call is also not acceptable.

This is exactly right, but most people don't want to think about or discuss it because the implications are pretty harrowing to our sense of fair play.

HawkGA

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1sn4yj07 said:
It would not have been a great way to win a football game on a missed review due to a technicality of procedure. They got the call right . . . we missed up . . . that is all that matters.

People have won Super Bowls for worse calls. Just sayin'.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
The fact that is is wrong for the Replay Officials to notify the officials that they got the call wrong is ridiculous. This should be happening on a regular basis. They should be able to buzz down and say "you guys got the call wrong, reverse it." The fact that they can't just means there are more incorrect calls.

HawkGA

Reaction score
CalboHawk":7m3xbt8d said:

Pretty much. One thing that stood out to me from the article, or at least from the article I read earlier and assuming it is the same one, was the notion that getting the call right is more important than the rules. I don't agree with that. Don't get me wrong, I'm not mad about the call. Mistakes happen. But the notion that the rules don't matter is ridiculous. Rules are the things that set the playing field. If rules don't matter than the outcome becomes whatever somebody wants it to be. Would it have been right with the tuck rule for the ref to say, "according to the tuck rule, this isn't a fumble, but seriously, we all think it was a fumble so we're going to call it a fumble"? I'm fine saying the rule should be changed, but don't tell me the outcome is more important than the rule.

Rex

Reaction score
kidhawk":178b873t said:
Rex":178b873t said:
kidhawk":178b873t said:
HawkFan72":178b873t said:

It's been done since the refs have been wearing the headset. We never hear about it. Even now it is just conjecture. Even then they only got it half right.

Rex

Reaction score
themunn":1cm6akf5 said:
the way they changed it after it was announced - it felt like they'd seen it on the big screen or something and realised their mistake.

in a way I'm glad the right call won out, but at the same time feel like we'd never benefit from such a situation ourselves

Good point about the big screen since it was obvious that it was a bad call.

Rex

Reaction score
HawkFan72":38af8uj1 said:
The fact that is is wrong for the Replay Officials to notify the officials that they got the call wrong is ridiculous. This should be happening on a regular basis. They should be able to buzz down and say "you guys got the call wrong, reverse it." The fact that they can't just means there are more incorrect calls.

Exactly right. Emphasis should be on making the correct call.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Rex":2fcq4ej7 said:
HawkFan72":2fcq4ej7 said:

Exactly right. Emphasis should be on making the correct call.

Emphasis is on making the correct call, but until the time comes where the NFL allows judgement calls to be reviewed, then the replay official in the booth needs to follow the guidelines put in place and not interfere with referee calls made on the field that are BY RULE, not reviewable.

As I said above, they got the call right, so it's not a big deal for this one game, but IF officials in the replay booth are deciding to overrule calls on the field that are out of their purview, then that can be a serious problem moving forward.