Earl

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I don't know if this was discussed or noticed but one thing that stood out to me during last week's game (and in some highlight shots) was how Earl did not look himself AT ALL. No, I don't mean so much on the field as sideline shots of him. He didn't have that look of intensity he always does during games. Instead, he looked dazed and depleted.

I very much tuned into this especially when I saw a shot of him sitting on the sideline just staring off into space as if contemplating his very desire to be playing.

I'm likely reading too much into it but there's no mistake that he just did not seem himself. I sure hope that changes starting this Sunday night.

We need our LOB back!!

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
With that being his first game action since February and having to play without his partner in crime, I can see why he would feel a little adrift. Even so, he still made his presence felt especially on that forced fumble. I think we will see Earl take a big step forward this weekend.

CASeahawk

Reaction score
I was noticing the same thing with Earl. His fire didn't seem to be there at all. If it had been, Dion Bailey wouldn't have been yawning before the game in the first start of his career as a member of the legion. I have faith we will see a totally different defense this weekend. At least I hope so.

seanoob

Reaction score
I noticed that shot of him on the sideline. He looked shellshocked to me. Maybe just getting back to game speed? Hope we see the intensity for 4 quarters this week.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
I have definitely noticed it, call it the eye of the tiger or whatever you want, but in his most recent interview he does not seem to have that same fire and confidence he had in previous years. Get the feeling this team is kind of hanging in there right now, they need a confidence boost.

Snakeeyes007

Reaction score
CASeahawk":2426g8ji said:
I was noticing the same thing with Earl. His fire didn't seem to be there at all. If it had been, Dion Bailey wouldn't have been yawning before the game in the first start of his career as a member of the legion. I have faith we will see a totally different defense this weekend. At least I hope so.

This has been discussed in another thread. Yawning before a big game is very normal. It's a sign of nervousness. Personally, I played tailback back in the day and yawned repeatedly before every game. It wasn't due to a lack of energy. I didn't know why at the time, but later learned that it was associated with nerves. The more I tried to keep my emotions and adrenaline at a low burn, the more I yawned.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SNDavidson":2lglmgp1 said:
I have definitely noticed it, call it the eye of the tiger or whatever you want, but in his most recent interview he does not seem to have that same fire and confidence he had in previous years. Get the feeling this team is kind of hanging in there right now, they need a confidence boost.

I didn't see any of this, I saw a player coming off a major surgery that hadn't seen any contact, and specifically hadn't played healthy in 9 months.

Add in the fact he's now the defensive leader trying to get everyone in the right position, as opposed to just running around like a crazy man making plays like he's used to...............and you get what we saw Sunday.

Earl will be fine, he just needed to get out there.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
MysterMatt":17i8ikqy said:
Earl, Bobby, and others will rise. I believe in them.
This^
Got to take into account that Richard Sherman is playing a different configuration than in the past, and until he gets his balance up to snuff there, we're going to see a change in intensity from him.
Earl didn't look up to game speed in the first half of the game, and his mind is having to make some on the fly adjustments with his new *Brother* in the scheme/mix, PLUS, it always takes time for the subconcious to assess your physical condition after an injury, even if you're not outwardly aware of it.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Aros":508lnutg said:
I don't know if this was discussed or noticed but one thing that stood out to me during last week's game (and in some highlight shots) was how Earl did not look himself AT ALL. No, I don't mean so much on the field as sideline shots of him. He didn't have that look of intensity he always does during games. Instead, he looked dazed and depleted.

I very much tuned into this especially when I saw a shot of him sitting on the sideline just staring off into space as if contemplating his very desire to be playing.

I'm likely reading too much into it but there's no mistake that he just did not seem himself. I sure hope that changes starting this Sunday night.

We need our LOB back!!

Was it the same look that we all had?

Bullmeister

Reaction score
Aros":5gnugwu0 said:

We need our LOB back!!

I had these exact thoughts watching the game. I actually think that both Sherm and Earl have lost the swagger they once had, not having as much fun, being more subdued, reserved. It's liek they know there is no BOOM in the LOB without Kam.

This may all be true but they do need to remind themselves that they were blessed to have had a LOB in the first place and that most other good DBs play on defenses that only can wish had the talent and camaraderie that the Seahawks enjoyed for the four or so years of LOB.

Yes it sucks and yes I don't think we can call the Seahawk defensive backfield LOB any more but that should not stop both Sherm and Earl stepping up an making the best of what they have.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Bullmeister":d8rggi9x said:
Aros":d8rggi9x said:

We need our LOB back!!

I had these exact thoughts watching the game. I actually think that both Sherm and Earl have lost the swagger they once had, not having as much fun, being more subdued, reserved. It's liek they know there is no BOOM in the LOB without Kam.

This may all be true but they do need to remind themselves that they were blessed to have had a LOB in the first place and that most other good DBs play on defenses that only can wish had the talent and camaraderie that the Seahawks enjoyed for the four or so years of LOB.

Yes it sucks and yes I don't think we can call the Seahawk defensive backfield LOB any more but that should not stop both Sherm and Earl stepping up an making the best of what they have.
Wow!!, um, so Kam's absence has exposed Thomas and Sherman as just being average players?
Man, who woulda thunk.

Bullmeister

Reaction score
scutterhawk":8d2qw3eo said:
Wow!!, um, so Kam's absence has exposed Thomas and Sherman as just being average players?
Man, who woulda thunk.

No. Who is saying or suggesting anything about exposing or saying Thomas and Sherman are average players? Nothing has been exposed (except the Seahawks D won't be as good without Kam but is really an expose?) and they are definitely not average players.

They probably just know that the LOB was something very "un-average"/special and what they have now is a step down from what they once knew and had as a team.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Well he didn't practice or get any game reps this off season so...he's still human who looked rusty that's all, nothing more

Rose City Hawk

Reaction score
Yawning is just your brain trying to get oxygen so it can pay attention. It's a misconception that yawning is a sign of lack of sleep or being bored, in fact the harder you pay attention to a thing the more likely you are to yawn. Granted sometimes it is cause your just really tired.

On topic, I think Earl has to get up to game speed, and those far away looks are him just trying to get right in his head, and get his body used to full game speed. It will take him a couple more games to be back in the mix completely, good news for us is he is a rare specimen and even at 80%, he's better than most.