Chris Matthews needs to see some game time

Paschtorian

Reaction score
I'll take him over Ricardo Lockette,............ANY DAY (and I used to be a HUGE RL supporter).

It's just,.........Matthews does nothing but MAKE PLAYS!!!!!

I know, I know, I know,.........it was "Just the Superbowl",...............but REALLY?

What does this guy have to DO to get on the field?

You can't tell me it's because he's not as "highly-paid or drafted". What happened to "competition at EVERY position". This guy has earned it, and should see some prime-time in the games-to-come.

Just sayin'.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
It's because our gifted, yet overly cautious, QB does not throw to anyone with less than 3 yards of separation.

Rob12

Reaction score
Hoping we see some deep balls to Matthews come Sunday night. Open it up!

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
I think he's probably still recovering from injury.

netskier

Reaction score
I read some comments by the coaches saying that Matthews needs to show up mentally every day at practice, instead of just every two or three days. This, if true, would explain why they do not count on him. Sad, because at six five, he is immediately open for high passes. Perfect for beating pass rushes.

massari

Reaction score
netskier":67vsp2u9 said:
I read some comments by the coaches saying that Matthews needs to show up mentally every day at practice, instead of just every two or three days. This, if true, would explain why they do not count on him. Sad, because at six five, he is immediately open for high passes. Perfect for beating pass rushes.

Hopefully not another Christine Michael situation.

peppersjap

Reaction score
I really can't believe there is another Chris Mathews thread. The guy now has 5 career catches because was thrown to once last week. If he was this huge talent he would have been more involved on Sunday. I am not sure why he is even on the roster over Kevin Smith or Kasen Williams, I think if there was anything there he would be on the field doing something. I'm afraid he will waste a roster spot for a while just because he had one good game against some short DB's. I just wish people would put this in perspective...........if he was the next coming he would be playing. Look back to what Pete did when he brought in Mike Williams a few years ago. They obviously only used Chris Mathews to take advantage of a mismatch in the SuperBowl. That being said, I hop I'm wrong!

Seanhawk

Reaction score
MysterMatt":379rcuxf said:
It's because our gifted, yet overly cautious, QB does not throw to anyone with less than 3 yards of separation.

Except if he's throwing to Matthews. If I remember right, all of his catches have been contested.

I'm in agreement with the premise. As someone else mentioned, the coaches have said that he needs to be more consistent in practice to get more time. Regardless, I'd like to seem him given more of a shot. Some guys are just "gamers", and given the small sample size, Matthews could be just that.

Hendo66

Reaction score
Should be 6 total receptions. (Last play SB).
Dude is just a better WR than RL. Get his ass in the game.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I like Matthews, but really on a pass play he's what.. the 4th or 5th option? Graham, Kearse, Baldwin, Lockett are all ahead of him on not only the depth chart.. but probably progressions too.

hawk45

Reaction score
Seanhawk":15ofs4r2 said:
MysterMatt":15ofs4r2 said:

Except if he's throwing to Matthews. If I remember right, all of his catches have been contested.

I'm in agreement with the premise. As someone else mentioned, the coaches have said that he needs to be more consistent in practice to get more time. Regardless, I'd like to seem him given more of a shot. Some guys are just "gamers", and given the small sample size, Matthews could be just that.

Spot on. Wilson won't throw short without separation but he will throw the 50/50 ball outside the hashes to Tate, Matthews, receivers he trusts to win the battle because of ability (tate) or height (matthews). Wilson is excellent at the 50/50 ball so let's launch a few out there to Matthews (just god not kearse unless it's the final seconds of the game when kearse decides to make his one amazing play).

Lockette is a complete cipher out there. Maybe he is out there to run the deep routes in our symphonic route trees...oh...no...wait...guess not.

timmat

Reaction score
Matthews should be given a chance as a first or second look in blitz or QB pressure situations. If Graham is getting doubled, split Matthews wide, create a 1-on-1, and throw it so he can high- point the ball, whether he's open or not. He's not a burner, and when Russ has time to throw, there are better WR options to guys who can run better routes. But when Russ has to get rid of it quickly, Matthews and his good hands can be a blitz breaker.

He wasn't that open on the TD in the Super Bowl. But when you look at the still of him catching that pass, the DB is nowhere near the ball. The space for him to be open has nothing to do with the space between him and the DB. His open space is above a traditional catch radius, and there's lots of room up there.

Many good players don't flash in practice. But Matthews has shown up huge in game situations. Yes, he doesn't have tons of career catches, but he's shined with opportunity. Please give him more game opportunity before writing him off. Can't argue with meaningful game results.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Hendo66":3bi7ppc0 said:
Should be 6 total receptions. (Last play SB).
Dude is just a better WR than RL. Get his ass in the game.

After NE shifted Browner to Matthews he didn't catch another pass.

Smellyman

Reaction score
MysterMatt":1wh32igg said:

I know. Like the Super Bowl

massari

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":2ntkkhy9 said:
Lockette gets more snaps because he's a very good blocker.

Lockette has 382 yards in 3 seasons. Why wouldn't they just get a good blocking 270lb TE in the game/roster instead of Lockette and his 210lbs?

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3k453937 said:
I like Matthews, but really on a pass play he's what.. the 4th or 5th option? Graham, Kearse, Baldwin, Lockett are all ahead of him on not only the depth chart.. but probably progressions too.

More like
Kearse
Kearse
Kearse
Baldwin
scramble.

RussB

Reaction score
Agreed. I dont get why they dont play him more. He cant be worse than lockette. Hes a mismatch to almost any CB in the league. Most corners arent even over 6ft tall and hes 6'5. They should atleast have wilson lob a couple deep passes to him wouldnt hurt.