Last four games of 2012

rjdriver

Reaction score
Man.....

Remember that guys? Seems like yesterday and it seems like an eternity ago. We were beating the living crap out of people.

Week 14: 58-0 Arizona
Week 15: 50-17 Buffalo
Week 16: 42-13 SF
Week 17: 20-13 STL

These were games against teams that included a 10:00AM road game and a game against the soon to be NFC champions. We also had a rookie quarterback.

How have we gone from that to barely being able to score? We have many of the same core players. Our QB is vastly more experienced. We have an additional superstar at TE and arguably more dynamic receivers. I get that I shouldn't compare one year to the next and I really have no point in this post (I'm bored and eating canned chicken noodle soup in my kitchen), but it's frustrating to have gone from an offense juggernaut to where we are now in a relatively short amount of time.

timmat

Reaction score
Part of that success was the fact that we were young and emerging, and teams hadn't had a lot of time to adjust to the read option, etc. Sort of like a hitter getting called up from triple A and tearing it up. But then the rest of the league gets film on him, makes adjustments, and he's not as successful (did I just make a Dustin Ackley reference? Ugh).

Everyone knows what's coming from us now. We've still won a ton of games, but we haven't seen that type of scoring - except for in one little game in Feb of 2014.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Our OL was better than it's ever been under Cable during that four game stretch (though they played poorly during the Rams game). Buffalo also couldn't stop read-option, which was a newer phenomenon in the NFL at that point.

Also, the Buffalo game was a late afternoon start, not 10am, if memory serves. It was also a "neutral" game as it was played in Toronto.

Basis4day

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3st5w8ri said:
Our OL was better than it's ever been under Cable during that four game stretch (though they played poorly during the Rams game). Buffalo also couldn't stop read-option, which was a newer phenomenon in the NFL at that point.

Also, the Buffalo game was a late afternoon start, not 10am, if memory serves. It was also a "neutral" game as it was played in Toronto.

Buffalo game was won largely by the Read Option and Wilson's legs. It was in Toronto

In the Arizona game the Hawks Defense forced 8 turnovers. Lynch ran for 128 yards on 11 carries and scored on runs of 20, 4 and 33 yards. The QB was John Skelton.

The Niner game also featured a couple turnovers and a blocked kick returned for a TD.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Also, Unger and Okung were pro-bowlers that year.

RussB

Reaction score
That was when the seahawks where more unpredictable. Now that they have made two superbowls teams are gameplanning better

themunn

Reaction score
For one thing our opponents aren't as bad.

In that 58-0 game we had 8 turnovers, for example, and Wilson completed just 7/13 pass attempts for 1 TD and an interception.