our punt coverage

northseahawk

Reaction score
I think this was a horrible area for us yesterday. There was no one around the returner for like 2-3 seconds and gave them great field position in their late drives.

We need Lane back more than anyone, for the punt coverage and for the slot cb.

Optimus25

Reaction score
I think a couple of Ryan's punts, while adequately deep, were more of a line drive than you'd like to have. On the one or two that seemed to boom deep and up, i think we had coverage at least in the vicinity.

Either way we saw way too much of Jon Ryan yesterday. :pukeface: :pukeface:

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Ryan uncorked at least two 60 yard punts. Those are hard to get coverage down there.

Looking at it, not bad really.

62 yard punt, with 10 yd return
56 yard punt with 15 yd return (loss additional 10 with block in back)
46 yard punt with 35 yard return. This one was the one that hurt. Late in game trying to salt victory.
50 yard punt with 17 return. Another good return.
50 yd/ 0 return
36 yd/ 0 return
62 yd/ 19 return.

Overall, kind of average it seemed. Cincy has a good return game. Only trails us by 2 yards in average despite only one return of 20+ on the year ( we have 3 over 20 and two over 40). So they get a ton of 10-15 yard returns. Jones is still a talented returner.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Seems like the gunner over-pursued a couple of times. In a game with a lead like that, containment is more important that pinning them down deep. I was moderately displeased with the way they chose to play those situations and I think those moments proved to be key points if you consider how the Bengals needed every bit of yards and time to make up a 17 point deficit.