Michael Bennett Fined (also the NFL is a joke)

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
Bennett was fined $20K for his unneccesary roughness penalty on Dalton last weekend. Guaranteed there were at least five times that players from the other team were more violent towards him in the bottom of scrums in the past game alone. What a bunch of pansy ass bull**** crybabies the NFL is becoming.

sc85sis

Reaction score
He tackled him and then re-tackled him. The second tackle was completely unnecessary and directly led to both the penalty and fine.

It also may have cost us 4 points as Earl's run back after the pick was called back and we looked really good on O at that point.

ihawk

Reaction score
Crazy that MB gets fined $20k for that when Beckham Jr was only fined $9k for full on punching another player in the face.
As soon as the ball is intercepted the QB becomes a defender who can be blocked right? So was it the follow on shoves once Dalton was down that drew the flag and fine? Hope someone with more knowledge of the rules can break it down for me.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I was beyond baffled when I watched the replay of what Bennett did. Beyond stupid....

Popeyejones

Reaction score
ihawk":x5i9fyrm said:
Crazy that MB gets fined $20k for that when Beckham Jr was only fined $9k for full on punching another player in the face.

The fines increase in size with increase in number. That was OBJ's first fine this season, so it's smaller. This was MB's third so it's larger.

ihawk":x5i9fyrm said:
So was it the follow on shoves once Dalton was down that drew the flag and fine? Hope someone with more knowledge of the rules can break it down for me.

Yeah, I think it was the second one, which was just completely unnecessary.

And someone may need to correct me on this, but I think I remember at some point in last five years or so the NFL instituting a rule that protected QBs from just getting pummeled on run backs for precisely the type of thing that Bennett did. (maybe not a rule change but "increased emphasis" or something for seeking out the QB for pointless smothering when he's a "defender")

chris98251

Reaction score
Thou shall not abuse a QB unless he is a running QB, then it's ok to take his head off.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
sc85sis":3l1w4kpb said:
He tackled him and then re-tackled him. The second tackle was completely unnecessary and directly led to both the penalty and fine.

This! Second hit was truly stupid.

OP
OP
I

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
LymonHawk":3c85pavr said:
sc85sis":3c85pavr said:

I don't disagree with this, HOWEVER if a wide receiver is running a reverse with the ball and an offensive lineman does the EXACT SAME THING to a cornerback the flag doesn't even come out of the pocket. It's crap that QBs get protected the way that they do. Takes away from the game in my opinion.

mikeak

Reaction score
chris98251":2jhyoeym said:
Thou shall not abuse a QB unless he is a running QB, then it's ok to take his head off.

but not ok to tackle him again when he tries to get up.......

Glad he got fined - heck he should have been suspended one game for behavior detrimental to the team

That was STUPID

BadgerVid

Reaction score
These stupid penalties aren't doing his campaign for a raise any good...

LymonHawk

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":2g1rjrxp said:
LymonHawk":2g1rjrxp said:
sc85sis":2g1rjrxp said:

I don't disagree with this, HOWEVER if a wide receiver is running a reverse with the ball and an offensive lineman does the EXACT SAME THING to a cornerback the flag doesn't even come out of the pocket. It's crap that QBs get protected the way that they do. Takes away from the game in my opinion.

Bleeder: Remember money is what drives the NFL. Having your $100 million investment obliterated for the year is bad for business.

Good to see ya.

drdiags

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3uwuulsq said:
And someone may need to correct me on this, but I think I remember at some point in last five years or so the NFL instituting a rule that protected QBs from just getting pummeled on run backs for precisely the type of thing that Bennett did. (maybe not a rule change but "increased emphasis" or something for seeking out the QB for pointless smothering when he's a "defender")

I thought this rule came after the Saints/Cards(?) game when Kurt Warner got blown-up on a turn-over? I think that was a playoff game but going from memory. I think it knocked him out of the game.

CodeWarrior

Reaction score
Bennett's penalty may be "dumb," but its par for the course. Goal #1 on a change of possession is obviously advancing the ball as far as possible, goal #1A is blowing up the QB. I'll take an unnecessary roughness if it sufficiently rattles the QB. Maybe I'm just a neanderthal.

Bigbadhawk

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":benkhk20 said:
Bennett was fined $20K for his unneccesary roughness penalty on Dalton last weekend. Guaranteed there were at least five times that players from the other team were more violent towards him in the bottom of scrums in the past game alone. What a bunch of pansy ass bull**** crybabies the NFL is becoming.

He got what he deserved. There are many times in the past that Seahawk players got away with stuff to so to indirectly imply its one sided is kinda comical. Also just because a player isn't flagged in the game does not mean the NFL wont fine them later in the week.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
LymonHawk":wpzi1yi9 said:
sc85sis":wpzi1yi9 said:

Exactly. This team needs to eliminate stupid crap like what MB pulled.

JesterHawk

Reaction score
LymonHawk":2o9me7wv said:
sc85sis":2o9me7wv said:

If I remember the play live, the second hit should have been OK as Dalton was getting up and Bennett was a blocker for Earl's run. It was the THIRD hit where Bennett dove on Dalton on the ground that was too much.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
They should have fined him more. He is costing us games with his penalties and stupidity.

pmedic920

Reaction score
When I initially saw the play, I was all for it.
Didn't notice at first that it was Dalton or how out of line it was.
Now that I've seen it again, a couple times, I can't disagree with the fine.
If somebody else had done that to our guy, I'd be pissed.