Disgusting stat

Crizilla

Reaction score
"...opposing quarterbacks have completed 40 of 48 passes for 449 yards and three touchdowns against Seattle in the fourth quarter and overtime..."

:pukeface:

tooshort

Reaction score
The D has looked really bad out there for spurts in the 4th quarter, but there have also been more than a fair share of spectacular plays by the opposing offenses. Basically the 4th quarter this year has left me feeling like i'm watching the 2014 Chargers game on repeat :34853_doh:

The Outfield

Reaction score
Probably partly because the D is worn out from trying to do all the work the whole game.

A

Anonymous

Crizilla":2yos870u said:
"...opposing quarterbacks have completed 40 of 48 passes for 449 yards and three touchdowns against Seattle in the fourth quarter and overtime..."

:pukeface:

*cough... cough...*

Link/source please?

RCATES

Reaction score
The Outfield":34iuv4ya said:
Probably partly because the D is worn out from trying to do all the work the whole game.

Ding ding ding.......can't believe more people don't understand this. Offense has been terrible at moving the chains and substaining drives. D is gassed by the 4th.

hawker84

Reaction score
Yep, and that's what happens when you play not to lose, instead of playing to win and stomping on teams throats when you have them down. Be curious to see the number of snaps for the defense is as opposed to the offense per game?

sutz

Reaction score
RCATES":3hcgorb6 said:
The Outfield":3hcgorb6 said:

Ding ding ding.......can't believe more people don't understand this. Offense has been terrible at moving the chains and substaining drives. D is gassed by the 4th.
I'm on this bandwagon, too.

Before people get all worked up though, about making excuses for the D, I would like to clarify that the blame is shared, but I'd give it at least a 60/40 split-O/D myself, maybe more. Gonna look something up.

Late edit: apparently, they don't do splits any more. Can't find stats for 4th Quarter 1st downs made and given up. I think that would be illuminating.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
If our D is gassed in the 4th quarter, then Seattle needs to fire its conditioning coordinator.

These are professional athletes, people. If they want to stay on the bench, they can get some stops.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Maybe our defense is just playing a lot worse than it has been.

We had no reason to be "gassed" in the St. Louis, Green Bay, and Detroit games. We just couldn't defend for whatever reason.

Offense had nothing to do with previous defensive breakdowns. Don't care what the scenario is, a great defense shouldn't be giving up a near perfect passer rating in the 4th quarter. If they were getting run on? Maybe. But that's not what's happening here.

This isn't exactly a new phenomenon either. I know people have axes to grind, but this has nothing to do with offense.

I'm sorry, but the defense is getting what? 70% of the salary cap? And you're excuse is you're tired because of offense? Sorry, that doesn't work.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Injuries have to factor in here as well. There have been far more injuries to defensive players thus far. Burley, Wagner, Hill, Mebane, KPL, and Dobbs are all been hurt or are playing hurt right now. That has to have an impact in the games. Hill and Wagner both got hurt during the Bengals game. Wagner got hurt right after the Seahawks had 24-7 lead. He actually scored the TD to put them ahead 24-7 and I believe got hurt on the next defensive series. Mebane got hurt during the Packers game and missed the Bears game. He may have been out the Lions game too.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
RCATES":3e5s04em said:
The Outfield":3e5s04em said:

I've felt strongly about this as well but some here have made legitimate arguments against it. Their side believes our woes are more so on the denfense's side. I brought up first downs but overall our team is not horrific in first downs, relative to the rest of the NFL through out the season. The first down woes at Cincinnati was just plain bad luck and terrible timing.

I believe the most absolute damning stat is our red zone TD%. We are absolute dead last in the NFL with 27%,,4% below Cleveland. We were 52% last year which was still poor (19th).

Hawkpower

Reaction score
ivotuk":er5naxqe said:
17 point lead in the 4th quarter. That's on the defense.

The reason we had a 17 point lead in the 4th quarter was by and large BECAUSE of the defense.

Holding the explosive Bengal Offense to 7 points into the 4th Quarter? On the road? Scoring a defensive TD?

So blame the defense if you want I guess. Seems weird.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
hawkfan68":rfb6y8sy said:
Injuries have to factor in here as well. There have been far more injuries to defensive players thus far. Burley, Wagner, Hill, Mebane, KPL, and Dobbs are all been hurt or are playing hurt right now. That has to have an impact in the games. Hill and Wagner both got hurt during the Bengals game. Wagner got hurt right after the Seahawks had 24-7 lead. He actually scored the TD to put them ahead 24-7 and I believe got hurt on the next defensive series. Mebane got hurt during the Packers game and missed the Bears game. He may have been out the Lions game too.

To me this is the telling stat/trait. Aggressive defenses suffer less injury. Probably due to attacking rather than being careful. Don't know why but it has always been this way. That we are suffering more injuries IMO is a direct correlation to the let downs we have been seeing.

It's a scary thought because the possibilities are endless as to why they would be less aggressive than in past seasons. Maybe it is two very long seasons adding up or that everyone got paid but there is a noticeable difference in our defensive style. Hopefully it is correctable.

My biggest fear is Pete Carroll's coaching style. All the rah rah can definitely get the guys amped but how long before it just doesn't work anymore? At some point Pete may need to instill some fear in these guys. Maybe lean on the assistant and position coaches to generate it but it may very well need to happen.

As for the offense being to blame. That is just some peoples agenda. Whether it is with Bevell or Wilson, they are just trying to assign blame to an area that fits their own agenda. This offense isn't much different than the last three years and out TOP isn't insanely out of whack either.

I think it comes down to coaching. Both in keeping these guys amped up for the game as well as dumb stuff like going prevent in the 3rd quarter. We need to the coaching staff to step up here probably more than any other area.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
RichNhansom":1qli8qfa said:
hawkfan68":1qli8qfa said:

To me this is the telling stat/trait. Aggressive defenses suffer less injury. Probably due to attacking rather than being careful. Don't know why but it has always been this way. That we are suffering more injuries IMO is a direct correlation to the let downs we have been seeing.

It's a scary thought because the possibilities are endless as to why they would be less aggressive than in past seasons. Maybe it is two very long seasons adding up or that everyone got paid but there is a noticeable difference in our defensive style. Hopefully it is correctable.

My biggest fear is Pete Carroll's coaching style. All the rah rah can definitely get the guys amped but how long before it just doesn't work anymore? At some point Pete may need to instill some fear in these guys. Maybe lean on the assistant and position coaches to generate it but it may very well need to happen.

As for the offense being to blame. That is just some peoples agenda. Whether it is with Bevell or Wilson, they are just trying to assign blame to an area that fits their own agenda. This offense isn't much different than the last three years and out TOP isn't insanely out of whack either.

I think it comes down to coaching. Both in keeping these guys amped up for the game as well as dumb stuff like going prevent in the 3rd quarter. We need to the coaching staff to step up here probably more than any other area.

Our defense also had games where they struggled last year too and was still the first or second ranked D in the NFL.

On the other hand, plenty of people with agendas to support Bevell and Wilson who are being overly critical of the only dominant unit of the team.

Goes both ways. One has the right to "blame" the defense if they see fit, just remember that without that defense, the hawks would have been a pedestrian team at best over the last few years. Something to consider.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Hawkpower":1eqkx8tx said:
RichNhansom":1eqkx8tx said:
hawkfan68":1eqkx8tx said:

Our defense also had games where they struggled last year too and was still the first or second ranked D in the NFL.

On the other hand, plenty of people with agendas to support Bevell and Wilson who are being overly critical of the only dominant unit of the team.

Goes both ways. One has the right to "blame" the defense if they see fit, just remember that without that defense, the hawks would have been a pedestrian team at best over the last few years. Something to consider.

Furthermore, because of the injuries the depth of the team on the defensive side has gone down. This is especially visible in the secondary...Simon, Seisay, and Lane (most likely) are out for the season. These guys could be outside CBs opposite to Sherman. Williams is a new guy who is still learning how to fit in. Burley has been hurt that affects the nickel position because Lane who's out also plays that role. Secondary is not what it has been in the past. They are losing games through the air. It's been the pass defense that has been the culprit in the 4th quarter/OT losses against Bengals and Rams. These injuries affect their rotation and the pressure is on Thomas, Sherman, and Chancellor to play more. The guys are human. They need to get some rest in games to stay fresh. They have not been able to do this year as they were able to in the past.

blkhwk

Reaction score
Defense has to be gassed. The second half touchdowns came on a long run followed by a defensive score. How many plays did the offense run after that? IIRC there were not many first downs by the offense. Also with the way the defense plays, it takes long sustained drives to score, thus more plays for the defense, chasing the QB and RB's after short passes.

Whoever wants to blame conditioning??????? Assuming you workout, how much energy do you have at the end of your workout compared to the beginning or middle? Of course the defense is going to be tired. We have made a living out of wearing out defenses the past couple of years.