Week 7 Elo Ratings: Seahawks #5

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Going forward, here are the Seahawks win probabilities for each game as things currently stand:

Week 7 - 59% @ Santa Clara
Week 8 - 53% @ Dallas
Week 9 - BYE WEEK
Week 10 - 62% vs. Arizona
Week 11 - 75% vs. Santa Clara
Week 12 - 59% vs. Pittsburgh
Week 13 - 54% @ Minnesota
Week 14 - 57% @ Baltimore
Week 15 - 83% vs. Cleveland
Week 16 - 78% vs. St. Louis
Week 17 - 44% @ Arizona

ringless

Reaction score
Something interesting about the Elo Ratings are it doesnt matter how much you win by or lose by.

For example. If the Seahawks played Pittsburgh next week and lost to Pittsburgh by 50 points. They'd only drop 2 points because Pitss is only two points behind them. They use the difference between the teams. They don't take much into account which is my only issue with them. It doesnt really take into account a lot of the variables.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
ringless":1swfwyij said:
Something interesting about the Elo Ratings are it doesnt matter how much you win by or lose by.

For example. If the Seahawks played Pittsburgh next week and lost to Pittsburgh by 50 points. They'd only drop 2 points because Pitss is only two points behind them. They use the difference between the teams. They don't take much into account which is my only issue with them. It doesnt really take into account a lot of the variables.

Unlike the Elo ratings that used to be used in college football, which prohibited the use of point differential so as to deter teams from running up the score in order to gain an advantage in the computer rankings, these Elo ratings do include scores and point differential. So a team that loses by 50 points would be more negatively affected than a team that lost by 10 points or less.

See here for a rough explanation:
Do you also account for margin of victory?

Affirmative. I took some inspiration from the soccer ratings, which account for goal differential in addition to the game result. But this is one of the more complicated parts.

For the NFL, I start by adding one point to team’s margin of victory and then take its natural logarithm. Then I multiply that result by the K value. That means I’m more moved by big wins than narrow ones, although there are diminishing returns. I’m not so impressed by the fifth touchdown when a team is ahead 28-0.

That seems simple enough.

It would be, but that isn’t all there is to it. We haven’t talked about my autocorrelation problem. It’s a little embarrassing.

Go on. “Autocorrelation”? Was that the weird David Cronenberg movie?

Autocorrelation is the tendency of a time series to be correlated with its past and future values. Let me put this into football terms. Imagine I have the Dallas Cowboys rated at 1550 before a game against the Philadelphia Eagles. Their rating will go up if they win and go down if they lose. But it should be 1550 after the game, on average. That’s important, because it means that I’ve accounted for all the information you’ve given me efficiently. If I expected the Cowboys’ rating to rise to 1575 on average after the game, I should have rated them more highly to begin with.

It’s true that if I have the Cowboys favored against the Eagles, they should win more often than they lose. But the way I was originally designed, I can compensate by subtracting more points for a loss than I give them for a win. Everything balances out rather elegantly.

The problem comes when I also seek to account for margin of victory. Not only do favorites win more often, but when they do win, they tend to win by a larger margin. Since I give more credit for larger wins, this means that their ratings tend to get inflated over time.

Is this also a flaw with the soccer Elo ratings?

Possibly. You may want to reconsider what you wrote about Germany.

So, how do you correct for this?

It isn’t complicated in principle. You just have to discount the margin of victory more when favorites win and increase it when underdogs win. The formula for it is as follows:

Margin of Victory Multiplier = LN(ABS(PD)+1) * (2.2/((ELOW-ELOL)*.001+2.2))

Where PD is the point differential in the game, ELOW is the winning team’s Elo Rating before the game, and ELOL is the losing team’s Elo Rating before the game.

It’s a little ugly, but we all have our vices.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/intr ... o-ratings/

kearly

Reaction score
hawknation2015":3je1yhxi said:
Going forward, here are the Seahawks win probabilities for each game as things currently stand:

Week 8 - 53% @ Dallas
Week 9 - BYE WEEK
Week 17 - 44% @ Arizona

Good stuff. Add those probabilities together and you get 6.24 wins in the next 10. Which means that 8-8 is the tallest part of the bar graph right now. But at the same time, I'm guessing Seattle probably has a 40% chance for 9+ wins and maybe a 30% chance for 10+ wins. And it's a positive that Seattle is a slight favorite in every game from now until week 17.

Odds are against Seattle making the playoffs, but there is still real hope. 41% playoff odds at 2-4 is surprisingly good.

If Seattle can get to the bye at 4-4 things will look a LOT better.

OP
OP
hawknation2015

hawknation2015

Reaction score
kearly":4s2ztj4e said:
hawknation2015":4s2ztj4e said:

Week 8 - 53% @ Dallas
Week 9 - BYE WEEK
Week 17 - 44% @ Arizona

Good stuff. Add those probabilities together and you get 6.24 wins in the next 10. Which means that 8-8 is the tallest part of the bar graph right now. But at the same time, I'm guessing Seattle probably has a 40% chance for 9+ wins and maybe a 30% chance for 10+ wins. And it's a positive that Seattle is a slight favorite in every game from now until week 17.

Odds are against Seattle making the playoffs, but there is still real hope. 41% playoff odds at 2-4 is surprisingly good.

If Seattle can get to the bye at 4-4 things will look a LOT better.

One game at a time.