stephen a talks about the seahawks

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Not a big fan of Stephen A but I find myself agreeing with pretty much everything he says.

cesame

Reaction score
Same here. Everything he said sounded spot on.

Above all right now, at the root of the problem, is the players aren't believing 100% in the coaches. I think it's that simple.

The "I"M IN" sign the players tap when entering the field? They're not tapping it right now. They're not 100% all in.

They're talented enough to dominate for stretches, but at the first sign of adversity in a tight spot they're folding.

Bevell is w/o a doubt at the top of this list. I mean Lynch was flipping this guy off from the field all the way back in 2013 against Arizona. There's been tension there for years, and after the SB it will never be repaired. Lynch might be the #1 guy players look up to and get their attitude and energy from, and if Lynch isn't buying in or isn't trusting the coaches, that sends riffles down the roster. They feel it.

Seattle might rally and turn this season around because there's a lot of talent on the roster, but eventually changes have to be made. Bevell has to go. I just don't think the players will ever get over him being on the team.

blue 22

Reaction score
I honestly believe Stephan A is on point here.

OP
OP
RussB

RussB

Reaction score
Yup stephen a and skip say some ridiculous things but they are right.

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
And, seriously what's wrong with Sherman's attitude? He is definitely not being himself. He doesn't have to be dramatic or say controversial stuff but at least be honest like he used to be. It was refreshing to see a player act like that. It definitely helped him succeed on the field as well.

keatonisballin

Reaction score
SeahawksFanForever":5y2bsjn9 said:
And, seriously what's wrong with Sherman's attitude? He is definitely not being himself. He doesn't have to be dramatic or say controversial stuff but at least be honest like he used to be. It was refreshing to see a player act like that. It definitely helped him succeed on the field as well.

He just doesnt have it this year. He is no longer the best in the game and doesnt seem to care. Theres no fire.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
keatonisballin":3pyah89o said:
SeahawksFanForever":3pyah89o said:

He just doesnt have it this year. He is no longer the best in the game and doesnt seem to care. Theres no fire.
all that jaw jacking with Revis....Looks like sherms expiry date came up faster than Revis...

justafan

Reaction score
I hope he is wrong.But if he is right you dont let the inmates run the prison.If palyers are having a problem with the coaches you start weeding out the weak and build a team with the RIGHT players.
There are internal troubles right now but I doubt its as bad as SA says it is.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
cesame":330wufo4 said:
..........Above all right now, at the root of the problem, is the players aren't believing 100% in the coaches. I think it's that simple.

The "I"M IN" sign the players tap when entering the field? They're not tapping it right now. They're not 100% all in.

They're talented enough to dominate for stretches, but at the first sign of adversity in a tight spot they're folding.

Bevell is w/o a doubt at the top of this list. I mean Lynch was flipping this guy off from the field all the way back in 2013 against Arizona. There's been tension there for years, and after the SB it will never be repaired. Lynch might be the #1 guy players look up to and get their attitude and energy from, and if Lynch isn't buying in or isn't trusting the coaches, that sends riffles down the roster. They feel it.

Seattle might rally and turn this season around because there's a lot of talent on the roster, but eventually changes have to be made. Bevell has to go. I just don't think the players will ever get over him being on the team.
Completely agree with everything you said.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I've noticed Sherman's post game interviews are very calculated and empty of true emotion. Not sure if it is a defense mechanism of his or what, but it's clearly not his true feelings, that much I am positive.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It is clear that is the divide.

The defense and Lynch and LOB especially were the identity of this team. They brought 2 SBs, one of which we won.

And then the FO handed the team to Wilson.

There were grumblings about Wilson before, remember he was too close to the FO? He was doing too many commercials? etc? He wasn't "black enough"? (That one was idiotic btw).

But it is clear that this team bet that Wilson was going to be the horse they hitched the wagon to. And in doing that, they sent clear signals that guys like Kam and Bennett were not going to be the guys, Wilson was going to get the pub, he was going to get the limelight and he was going to get the throne.

Wilson has to be the guy in the future. We cannot keep all these guys on defense, though we probably should try to keep the greatest secondary of all time in place (if we can get Browner back if the Saints lose patience with him).

But Lynch and all the rest, have made clear just through a whisper campaign that we lost a SB because we tried to get Wilson an MVP - and it blew up in their faces. Which makes you wonder just what else is going on that is not being talked about?

If I was a defensive player and I saw stop after stop, then watched our offense continually punt it back, I would be pissed too. The genesis of that discontent probably started in the GB game. Wilson screwed up the whole game, and the defense somehow kept them in it. To the point that Earl and Kam seriously injured themselves in that game throwing their bodies around, which resulted in injuries that likely lost us the SB.

But what was the story of the game? Wilson finally making some great plays and getting all the accolades, even though his terrible play put them in that bind in the first place. And instead of pointing out just how the LOB saved the game, Wilson decided it would be a great idea to mention how God wanted Wilson to succeed in that one.

This board has had a very active Lynch vs Wilson divide anyway. There are absolutely camps. It makes sense that the Lynch + LOB camp vs the Wilson camp in the lockerroom might exist too - and until those differences are ironed out and they start playing for each other instead of against each other? This is going to happen.

Hell, even Baldwin has called Wilson out for being fake. But you don't have to like a guy to play with him and win. You do, however, have to want to win for someone to play FOR him. Wilson needs to shut up about himself and start doing what he did when he started, pulling the other players to the stage to take a bow, deflecting the spotlight. Taking blame for the failures and giving others the credit for the successes. He did that earlier, and then he started this other crap "building his brand". He got $20M, he does not need to build his brand, he needs to build his team and mend the freaking fences.

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
These guys are generally blowhards; but I agree with everyone above- they're nailing it on this front.

JAGHAWK

Reaction score
I miss the old Sherm too. :(

There's clearly something cancerous within the team. I don't know what it is, I don't know how they fix it... but they must fix it quickly. Stephan A is right, they have most if not all the talent they need on the field. Something just isn't right.

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3ab6lef9 said:

The defense and Lynch and LOB especially were the identity of this team. They brought 2 SBs, one of which we won.

There were grumblings about Wilson before, remember he was too close to the FO? He was doing too many commercials? etc? He wasn't "black enough"? (That one was idiotic btw).

But it is clear that this team bet that Wilson was going to be the horse they hitched the wagon to. And in doing that, they sent clear signals that guys like Kam and Bennett were not going to be the guys, Wilson was going to get the pub, he was going to get the limelight and he was going to get the throne.

Wilson has to be the guy in the future. We cannot keep all these guys on defense, though we probably should try to keep the greatest secondary of all time in place (if we can get Browner back if the Saints lose patience with him).

But Lynch and all the rest, have made clear just through a whisper campaign that we lost a SB because we tried to get Wilson an MVP - and it blew up in their faces. Which makes you wonder just what else is going on that is not being talked about?

If I was a defensive player and I saw stop after stop, then watched our offense continually punt it back, I would be pissed too. The genesis of that discontent probably started in the GB game. Wilson screwed up the whole game, and the defense somehow kept them in it. To the point that Earl and Kam seriously injured themselves in that game throwing their bodies around, which resulted in injuries that likely lost us the SB.

But what was the story of the game? Wilson finally making some great plays and getting all the accolades, even though his terrible play put them in that bind in the first place. And instead of pointing out just how the LOB saved the game, Wilson decided it would be a great idea to mention how God wanted Wilson to succeed in that one.

This board has had a very active Lynch vs Wilson divide anyway. There are absolutely camps. It makes sense that the Lynch + LOB camp vs the Wilson camp in the lockerroom might exist too - and until those differences are ironed out and they start playing for each other instead of against each other? This is going to happen.

Hell, even Baldwin has called Wilson out for being fake. But you don't have to like a guy to play with him and win. You do, however, have to want to win for someone to play FOR him. Wilson needs to shut up about himself and start doing what he did when he started, pulling the other players to the stage to take a bow, deflecting the spotlight. Taking blame for the failures and giving others the credit for the successes. He did that earlier, and then he started this other crap "building his brand". He got $20M, he does not need to build his brand, he needs to build his team and mend the freaking fences.

indeed, sir

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1ptzf8ep said:

Hmmmmmm, interesting take. Despite the fact that I am a huge Russ supporter I see some elements of truth in your post. I will keep in mind however that you've been one of the more vocal critics of RW on these boards. However, the whole "build my brand" thing I believe you're correct about. As for all the pub going to Russ after the NFCCG, that's not on him. This is what the media does. They gravitate to QBs, plain and simple.

You are correct that hitching the wagon to RW was necessary considering Lynch's career is almost over and QB is the most important position on the field. As for the notion that management/Pete were trying to get RW the MVP in XLIX that thinking could've been nipped in the bud with a Bevell "resignation". Pete not choosing to do so has blown up in his face in the locker room IMO. It'll likely be remedied in the next offseason but it remains to be seen if it won't be too little, too late.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I still think the "Old Sherm" was more calculated to get his name out there and boost his visibility amongst the common fans. Ever since Crabtree he's been very .. well .. normal, boring, whatever.

The point about this team not trusting the coaches makes a LOT of sense right now. I forget who said it yesterday (may have been HFSD1) but.. this locker room was lost the moment Bevell returned. That call literally took a ring off their fingers. That call created such a divide in the locker room and they may all be saying the right things, but the SI piece showed that there was indeed some turbulence in the locker room.. and now that the losses are piling up quicker than they have in the tenure of Pete Carroll.. it's going to get real rocky in a hurry I'm afraid.

Latest posts