Cary Williams out, Deshawn Shead in

kmedic

Reaction score
Anyone else notice Williams got pulled mid way through the 3rd quarter for Shead? It seemed to me like the defense changed night and day- the secondary especially just seemed more relaxed and ready to make more plays. I think Cary Williams has affected the play of the secondary much much more than we thought. I give credit to PC and Richard for finally coming to their senses and benching him- the writing was on the wall the past few games. I expect Shead to take over the CB duties opposite Sherm perhaps until Lane returns.

Northern Hawk

Reaction score
I feel like RS ET and Kam don't trust Williams, so they're trying too hard to try and do more than they need to resulting in them making mistakes or slightly neglecting their own responsibilities.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Williams just doesn't have it, period. I remember several Eagles fans smirking when we acquired him. Never a good sign.

Shead isn't LOB material either but he's better in upside than Williams is. Not saying a lot but there ya go.

Maxwell and Browner are both better as a LOB members than anything we have currently as fill ins.

OP
OP
K

kmedic

Reaction score
I agree, it seems like Earl and Kam can do their own thing now instead of always having to cover Cary Williams' ass. Shead isn't an all star by any means but he gives just enough that our safeties can freely roam- and that makes all the difference in the world. It's been forever since we forced a three and out late in the fourth quarter and today they did it quite easily with Shead in there instead of Williams. I really hope this is the end of the Cary Williams era!

Northern Hawk

Reaction score
kmedic":1hgmz189 said:
I agree, it seems like Earl and Kam can do their own thing now instead of always having to cover Cary Williams' ass. Shead isn't an all star by any means but he gives just enough that our safeties can freely roam- and that makes all the difference in the world. It's been forever since we forced a three and out late in the fourth quarter and today they did it quite easily with Shead in there instead of Williams. I really hope this is the end of the Cary Williams era!
Exactly. It's too coincidental that Shead comes in and McDonald almost disappears from the offense.

j hawk

Reaction score
I for one have had enough of Williams. He looks lost on the field. Please Pete, put a warm body at the corner position.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Williams is average, nothing special and doesnt seem to have a knack of making a play when needed.

But a lot of peeps are piling craps on things that arent his fault.

Sherman was horrible if not worst against the Cards.

The entire secondary and the LBs for that matter have been horrible against TEs.

I think a lot of the blame needs to go on the scheme, Seahawks need to put bodies on the big dudes instead of allowing thier defenders to get confused in Zone coverages. Simple as that.

Ill agree though Williams weakens in the 2nd half of games and is just not a good defender on the ball. But thats on the coaches as well for not taking proper steps in lowering the guys snaps when he starts to falter.

If the Seahawks played great situational, match-up adjustment football, they probably wouldnt be 5-5 right now.

But it just seems they rather have players make or break it rather than adjust to shield exposed weakeness.

Its perplexing as a fan that its taken this long for the coaching play that kind of ball and sort of step away from the philosophy.

Seahawker86

Reaction score
6 million a year wasted. We could have resigned Carpenter or even give that money to Bruce Irvin.

Williams is the worst thing to happen to this defense

Crizilla

Reaction score
yea he doesnt need to be starting anymore

damn why didint we go after browner?

RussB

Reaction score
yea williams needed to get benched a while ago.Shead or lane should be better at the#2..........

Vetamur

Reaction score
I like Burley over Shead in the slot.. Shead as an outside CB sort of scares me, but Wililams isnt playing the scheme and it changed how everyone else played.

Hope they come up with something clever for next week but Shead vs. M. Bryant all day is not something that seems super awesome..

Optimus25

Reaction score
Aros":1wt6ig9y said:
Williams just doesn't have it, period. I remember several Eagles fans smirking when we acquired him. Never a good sign.

Shead isn't LOB material either but he's better in upside than Williams is. Not saying a lot but there ya go.

Maxwell and Browner are both better as a LOB members than anything we have currently as fill ins.

Shead at least brings the LOB intensity. Guy looks pissed every possession.

Willyeye

Reaction score
Aros":28euhm23 said:

To be fair, both Browner and Maxwell are also having horrible years...even worse than Williams. I think we have a few guys that would be a lot better than Williams, but Williams is making the big bucks and it's hard for people to admit they made a mistake. Signing Williams, especially for the money he's making, was obviously a huge mistake.

marko358

Reaction score
Optimus25":3snebq12 said:
Aros":3snebq12 said:

Shead at least brings the LOB intensity. Guy looks pissed every possession.
I'm pretty sure Williams will be the only guy on the team that needed only one uniform all season. Never gets dirty or gets physical. Probably doesn't even shower after the game since he's just lightly jogging most of the time.

Willyeye

Reaction score
Crizilla":2cv8is9q said:
yea he doesnt need to be starting anymore

damn why didint we go after browner?

Seriously? Browner is one of the worst ranked CB's according to PFF and he is leading the NFL in penalties (17) and the guy in second is not even close (only has 9). While on the Hawks, Browner missed most of the games due to suspensions and injuries in his last 2 seasons. He is absolutely horrible this year for the Saints. He also led the NFL in penalties last year even though he missed 6 games. His only redeeming quality the last 2 years was the fact that he was very familiar with the Hawks offense, and in SB49, just before the snap of the Butler interception, you can see Browner yelling at Butler and pointing to Lockette. Browner saved the game for the Patriots. But truth be told, Browner is NOT a good cover guy...he plays rough and dirty, and it is only his willingness to beat receivers into submission that makes him even remotely successful. I for one am ecstatic that he's not a Seahawk.

hawxfreak

Reaction score
My biggest gripe about Williams is he can't get off of even the most minimal of blocks to stop a run so we have been getting burnt by runs past him

jblaze

Reaction score
Williams is always 10 yds off the receiver it seems. He's looking in the backfield when he needs to be tracking his receiver. He's not Sherman so stop trying to be cute and just cover. He seems so scared to give up the big play that he is always way behind the receiver.

I think a major reason why the LOB has taken a step back is Williams. I think that may be what Earl was referring to in regards to forgiving fully is that Williams is getting burnt constantly to the point where everyone has to play out of position to compensate.

It's too bad Simon is hurt, he's not the answer but he could seriously take this job over if he was healthy. We're woefully thin at CB and need to start over with the second CB spot next year. Probably another free agent unless you spend a high draft pick and I don't see that happening.

By the way, where is Seisay? Hurt? Maybe give him a shot.