Cary Williams out, Deshawn Shead in

Scottemojo

Reaction score
At 1:03 left in the first qtr, I officially quit on Williams. 3rd and 7, just before the snap he bails to way off coverage. It was the easiest 15 yrd pitch and catch you will ever see, and he was in full bail headed down the field. Seattle was in a 2 deep safety look, so Williams has no excuse. He is 8 yards past the WR when the throw arrives.

It bore no resemblance to press man cover.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
We need to find a new corner opposite of Sherm. I'm not sure if Shead is the answer. Lane and Burley are slot corners, don't really see them playing the outside.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":2pk0e9ny said:
We need to find a new corner opposite of Sherm. I'm not sure if Shead is the answer. Lane and Burley are slot corners, don't really see them playing the outside.

Lane has good length and has played outside before. I'm just not sure if he is physically and mentally ready for game action.

What about Tye Smith? Time to crank up this competition between Williams, Shead, Smith, and hopefully Lane.

Seisay and Simon are on IR.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I always got the impression that Cary was a stop-gap corner until we find one in the draft. My guess is next year corner will be one of our top priorities. The kid Darby who the Bills drafted in the second round is having a great year, but we would have had to trade up to get him as he was taken earlier in the second round. I was hoping he would be a Seahawk.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
The word from the blogosphere is that Cary has been freelancing and not playing within the Seahawks' scheme and technique.

I haven't seen a starter in Shead yet, but I said that about Byron Maxwell, too. At the very least, Shead will probably stick to the scheme and make life easier on Earl.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":34860uf7 said:
The word from the blogosphere is that Cary has been freelancing and not playing within the Seahawks' scheme and technique.

I haven't seen a starter in Shead yet, but I said that about Byron Maxwell, too. At the very least, Shead will probably stick to the scheme and make life easier on Earl.

Shead's an FA next year. We've got 6 games to make him look like an all-pro and get a 3rd round comp for him in 2017. Get it done.

Hawks46

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1n9he2bj said:
Shead was burned as well. If Lane does not return next week, maybe it is time to give Tye Smith a chance.

Is Smith healthy ? I keep feeling like he's just not available for them.

As for Williams, it makes a lot of sense that he's screwing up the chemistry with the LOB. On one of the TD's against Sherman vs. the Cards, he gave up a CB axiom (actually secondary axiom) about never letting your guy get behind you. Especially while playing deep quarters. Sherm tried to jump a route underneath and make something happen. You do that when you're trying to do someone else's job as well as your own.

I'd like to see Smith. Also, although Shead has been around a while, he has nowhere near close to a full season's full of game snaps worth of experience. While we do see him get burned, he's a physical freak that understand the system. It's entirely possible we haven't seen his ceiling yet and he can improve over what he produces now.

It has to be one of the toughest decisions a coaching staff can make: when to pull a guy because he's just not getting it, and when to let him play to develop and improve.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Hawks46":ewd4afmd said:
hawknation2015":ewd4afmd said:
Shead was burned as well. If Lane does not return next week, maybe it is time to give Tye Smith a chance.

Is Smith healthy ? I keep feeling like he's just not available for them.

As for Williams, it makes a lot of sense that he's screwing up the chemistry with the LOB. On one of the TD's against Sherman vs. the Cards, he gave up a CB axiom (actually secondary axiom) about never letting your guy get behind you. Especially while playing deep quarters. Sherm tried to jump a route underneath and make something happen. You do that when you're trying to do someone else's job as well as your own.

I'd like to see Smith. Also, although Shead has been around a while, he has nowhere near close to a full season's full of game snaps worth of experience. While we do see him get burned, he's a physical freak that understand the system. It's entirely possible we haven't seen his ceiling yet and he can improve over what he produces now.

It has to be one of the toughest decisions a coaching staff can make: when to pull a guy because he's just not getting it, and when to let him play to develop and improve.

Yeah, Tye Smith has been healthy and practicing. It's just a question of youth and inexperience . . . and the technique and focus deficits that Sherman has talked about.

I just don't view Shead as an upgrade over Williams as a boundary corner.

xgeoff

Reaction score
Aros":1oeyy6o6 said:
Williams just doesn't have it, period. I remember several Eagles fans smirking when we acquired him. Never a good sign.

Shead isn't LOB material either but he's better in upside than Williams is. Not saying a lot but there ya go.

Maxwell and Browner are both better as a LOB members than anything we have currently as fill ins.

I think Jeremy Lane is definitely LOB material.

xgeoff

Reaction score
I was really happy to see this. I kept noticing that Williams was either getting burned or (worse) not on the same page as the rest of the secondary. I'm not saying that Shead didn't struggle, but the whole secondary seemed to have more cohesion with Shead. With Williams, the Niners seemed on the verge of shredding the defense. I felt like the game was slipping away and I think this move saved the game.

For a while I was having deja vu, as the offense began to stall and the Defense started to give up huge plays. It was really good to see this change and see the D settle down.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Simon will (hopefully) be ready to go next season and the LOB should be better than ever with him on the right side. He looked great before the injury.

I bet Cary Williams looks good against the Seahawks receivers in practice...that's why he plays in games. :stirthepot:

McGruff

Reaction score
Lane is definitely an option outside once he's healthy. Easily the 2nd best corner on the team.

Simon is so much like Browner its silly. He'll make the ahah plays and then have you banging your head against a wall.

I still like Shead. We could do a lot worse.

But when Lane is back, its his job.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
WCstripes":2mskj08j said:
Any time line on Lane's return?

Supposedly they are pretty confident he's playing Sunday. We'll see though

I agree with HN2015 though.. Shead was getting beat by Boldin pretty regularly before he re-injured his hamstring. It's not like Cary was setting the world on fire and suddenly had a bad game.. I think it says a lot that it took this long to bench the guy.

I would like to see Lane eventually start outside but he hasn't played a game in 7 months so there is definitely going to be some rust.

Going to be very interesting to see what we do on Sunday.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Willyeye":2m1a69fr said:
Crizilla":2m1a69fr said:
yea he doesnt need to be starting anymore

damn why didint we go after browner?

Seriously? Browner is one of the worst ranked CB's according to PFF and he is leading the NFL in penalties (17) and the guy in second is not even close (only has 9). While on the Hawks, Browner missed most of the games due to suspensions and injuries in his last 2 seasons. He is absolutely horrible this year for the Saints. He also led the NFL in penalties last year even though he missed 6 games. His only redeeming quality the last 2 years was the fact that he was very familiar with the Hawks offense, and in SB49, just before the snap of the Butler interception, you can see Browner yelling at Butler and pointing to Lockette. Browner saved the game for the Patriots. But truth be told, Browner is NOT a good cover guy...he plays rough and dirty, and it is only his willingness to beat receivers into submission that makes him even remotely successful. I for one am ecstatic that he's not a Seahawk.

saints have like the worst D of all time. You cant put that all on Browner

also he fits way better in our system and he was part of the original LOB

The Outfield

Reaction score
Williams talent and skill level is established, he is not likely to grow much, and his age is getting up there. At least Shead is young and can get better with more experience.

However, I wouldn't rule out Lane getting the outside spot.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Crizilla":170lxi64 said:
Willyeye":170lxi64 said:
Crizilla":170lxi64 said:
yea he doesnt need to be starting anymore

damn why didint we go after browner?

Seriously? Browner is one of the worst ranked CB's according to PFF and he is leading the NFL in penalties (17) and the guy in second is not even close (only has 9). While on the Hawks, Browner missed most of the games due to suspensions and injuries in his last 2 seasons. He is absolutely horrible this year for the Saints. He also led the NFL in penalties last year even though he missed 6 games. His only redeeming quality the last 2 years was the fact that he was very familiar with the Hawks offense, and in SB49, just before the snap of the Butler interception, you can see Browner yelling at Butler and pointing to Lockette. Browner saved the game for the Patriots. But truth be told, Browner is NOT a good cover guy...he plays rough and dirty, and it is only his willingness to beat receivers into submission that makes him even remotely successful. I for one am ecstatic that he's not a Seahawk.

saints have like the worst D of all time. You cant put that all on Browner

also he fits way better in our system and he was part of the original LOB

If you've watched Browner play this season, you'd know he's a shell of his former LOB self.

Northern Hawk

Reaction score
I see a few posts saying Shead isn't good enough and Williams would be better. I just don't see why not at this point? I know we're still right in the thick of things but Williams obviously wasn't panning out so far, give Shead the start if Lane isn't ready and if he starts getting burned make a change again. PC said it was open competition at corner this week between 26 35 and 20.

Latest posts