Why listening to announcers can make you dumber

Scottemojo

Reaction score
13:08 4th qtr. 1st and ten, Seattle at the SF 36. Read option, perfectly defensed by SF, but Russ adlibs. Watching the game silently I marveled at the quick thinking and loved the 5 yard gain. Lockett was ad lib brilliance as well, making sure he stayed behind Russell on the play. It put SF in a what do we do 2nd and 5, and Rawls scores the next play.

So I listen to broadcast later (and I might add that I see some of you parroting their comments in the Jimmy Graham thread) and the announcers paint Russ as a moron for not going over the top to a wide open Graham. One of the announcers is a former player, he has zero excuse for what he said. Barber should know this. Take your eye off the ball, Rhonde.

Seattle had 3 linemen more than 3 yards downfield, with Okung 6 yards from the LOS when Russ looked at Graham, then LATERALED to Lockett. That was a run by Lockett. If Russ throws that ball over the top, it is a penalty, linemen are too far downfield.

Please remember shit like this when listening to announcers.

jhoeHawk

Reaction score
Thank you for your public service announcement Mr. Mojo. I sometimes watch games with no audio for that one reason.

lukerguy

Reaction score
There was another play where Sweezy had a questionable holding call and one of the commentators was like, "Yeah don't act like you didn't hold... you hold on every play.." something to that nature. I was like...wow, that was harsh..

mrt144

Reaction score
lukerguy":2yh2fd6l said:
There was another play where Sweezy had a questionable holding call and one of the commentators was like, "Yeah don't act like you didn't hold... you hold on every play.." something to that nature. I was like...wow, that was harsh..

Ronde needs to slow down and realize he isn't a peer of the players any longer.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Announcers don't usually have more than one replay to examine a given snap. It means they miss a lot, even with their football knowledge. The armchair analysts that break down games on Twitter or blogs over the week actually tend to get it right more often than the announcers, simply because they have the benefit of rewatching the play several times on NFL Rewind.

BullHawk33

Reaction score
I don't bust on people that are wrong in their initial reaction. Frankly, if the commentators get it right 80% during real time, I think that is great. I would rather not sit there listening to them waffle, why they are right/wrong and move on to the next play.

You are right though, in retrospect under the review of slow motion, that play makes Russell look a lot better than the thought process probably was during the game. Good thing Lockett caught that or it would have been a fumble out of bounds.

Seymour

Reaction score
Listening to them is no problem, it's believing everything they say that will skew your vision. Former players or not, they still have different perspectives depending on their position and allegiance.

Anthony!

Reaction score
not to mention Wilson was at that point running to his left and he is a righty so even if he wanted to through it to Graham it would have been a tough throw going against his body 20 yards down the field

mirrikat45

Reaction score
Anthony!":89k9em77 said:
not to mention Wilson was at that point running to his left and he is a righty so even if he wanted to through it to Graham it would have been a tough throw going against his body 20 yards down the field

This was my reaction to the play. Hard to look behind you.

kearly

Reaction score
I might be remembering wrong but wasn't the illegal man downfield mentioned in the broadcast as a reason why Wilson didn't throw? Anyway, people say dumb things on live TV. We all would. That said I've long felt that fans should think for themselves and not let a guy on live TV do all the thinking or them.

I loved this play design by Bevell. It's my favorite play design of his since the QB option run right then pass over the bootleg blitzer to Harvin play in 2014. It only worked about 5 times before it was shutdown, unfortunately some of the best plays have very limited shelf life. But the lateral option to Lockett vs. SF was a pretty cool play and should be a feather in Bevell's cap for as long as it continues to work.

I complimented Bevell for that play right as it happened, and then 2 seconds later one of the announcers did the same thing. Announcers sometimes say dumb things but they can also enlighten as well, especially the better ones (Collinsworth, etc).

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
lukerguy":2h5bjdih said:
I remember that one -- there was no stinking hold -- it was a shit call -- I cursed out the announcer -- good thing I wasn't drunk at a bar.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
I noticed this as well. Their comment about Sweezy's non-existent hold was also dumb, as was their defense of the defender who led with his helmet against Lockett.

To parrot someone else's comment, there is a difference between listening and believing. You miss quite a lot of intensity without the sound: the roar of the crowd, crunching hits, etc.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Woodson was high, drunk or both.

Dude stumbled over his words the whole broadcast.

Didn't once get out what he wanted to say without sounding like a complete fool.

Bwarren

Reaction score
Think about it. You could have had Troy Aikman and Joe Buck calling the game.

Hawks46

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1u73synp said:
Announcers don't usually have more than one replay to examine a given snap. It means they miss a lot, even with their football knowledge. The armchair analysts that break down games on Twitter or blogs over the week actually tend to get it right more often than the announcers, simply because they have the benefit of rewatching the play several times on NFL Rewind.

Slow motion and pause are your friends. I sounded a lot smarter when I had access to that, lol.

mrt144

Reaction score
Hawks46":2tntcuk7 said:
MontanaHawk05":2tntcuk7 said:

Slow motion and pause are your friends. I sounded a lot smarter when I had access to that, lol.

You know you'd be a bad TV commentator when upon reflection half the words coming out of your mouth would be bleeped and the other are just loud grunts, sighs, cheers and yesses!

StoneCold

Reaction score
kearly":3haxr3dc said:
I might be remembering wrong but wasn't the illegal man downfield mentioned in the broadcast as a reason why Wilson didn't throw? Anyway, people say dumb things on live TV. We all would. That said I've long felt that fans should think for themselves and not let a guy on live TV do all the thinking or them.

I loved this play design by Bevell. It's my favorite play design of his since the QB option run right then pass over the bootleg blitzer to Harvin play in 2014. It only worked about 5 times before it was shutdown, unfortunately some of the best plays have very limited shelf life. But the lateral option to Lockett vs. SF was a pretty cool play and should be a feather in Bevell's cap for as long as it continues to work.

I complimented Bevell for that play right as it happened, and then 2 seconds later one of the announcers did the same thing. Announcers sometimes say dumb things but they can also enlighten as well, especially the better ones (Collinsworth, etc).

This was planned? I thought it was a busted read option that RW and Lockett turned into a 5 yard gain. Not busting your chops, just asking someone smarter than me. :)

Anthony!

Reaction score
StoneCold":2rx8nj2n said:
kearly":2rx8nj2n said:

This was planned? I thought it was a busted read option that RW and Lockett turned into a 5 yard gain. Not busting your chops, just asking someone smarter than me. :)

I do not think it was called it was an Improvisation.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2mek4xph said:
...........Seattle had 3 linemen more than 3 yards downfield, with Okung 6 yards from the LOS when Russ looked at Graham, then LATERALED to Lockett.........If Russ throws that ball over the top, it is a penalty, linemen are too far downfield.............
Unless it's the Stealers in XL*.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Ex players can be pompous at times. I've noticed they do not like and have no respect for improvised plays. They call it back yard football.