Interesting we signed Chase Coffman over Allen, McCoy

King Dog

Reaction score
I find the Chase Coffman signing pretty interesting when Rashaun Allen and Anthony McCoy were available. This late in the season, it seems like it would make sense to sign someone that already knows the system that we could plug right in if needed instead of starting at ground zero with the playbook.

I'm not saying it's a good or bad thing - just intriguing.

Hawks46

Reaction score
McCoy was a decent blocker. I have no idea how Coffman or Allen are in the blocking department, but I'd have to think the FO would go after a guy who can block as we already have 2 TE's that can catch.

chris98251

Reaction score
Special teams as well. We forget how important that aspect is until we see a run back or bad blocking.

peppersjap

Reaction score
It appears that McCoy is with the Redskins and that Allen is maybe on the Saints practice squad. Coffman has not done a lot in the NFL but was a very highly regarded TE coming out of college and drafted in the 3rd round. Maybe they can get something out of him but chances are he won't even be active on game day. I think if Allen really had something going for him he would have beaten out Helfelt.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Helfet is a very good receiver when he gets snaps.
I bet Chris98251 is on the money with the special teams factor.
Pete probably figures ST contributions right away, and maybe actual TE contributions the last couple games and playoffs.
Or maybe the only role they have in mind for him near term is a limited selection of plays, e.g., 2 tight end sets, playing only one side, where it's not that much to learn.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
olyfan63":1yd63mqy said:
Helfet is a very good receiver when he gets snaps.
I bet Chris98251 is on the money with the special teams factor.
Pete probably figures ST contributions right away, and maybe actual TE contributions the last couple games and playoffs.
Or maybe the only role they have in mind for him near term is a limited selection of plays, e.g., 2 tight end sets, playing only one side, where it's not that much to learn.

Possibly only blocking on the one side for the time being and the slip out when RW starts scrambling for a midfield reception. I could dig this.

and special teams....need more special teams.

McGruff

Reaction score
JMO but this is not the last move we make at this position. Pete and John often prefer bringing in unknown depth players off the street because it gives them a look at a player they haven't seen before. Often times they are cut within days and a more known quantity is brought in. Why not take a look at Coffman for a few practices. If he sucks, then we can go get Allen or McCoy.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Have they generally been activating 2 or 3 TE this year on game day?

DynoHawk

Reaction score
peppersjap":3ev5yuh3 said:
It appears that McCoy is with the Redskins and that Allen is maybe on the Saints practice squad. Coffman has not done a lot in the NFL but was a very highly regarded TE coming out of college and drafted in the 3rd round. Maybe they can get something out of him but chances are he won't even be active on game day. I think if Allen really had something going for him he would have beaten out Helfelt.

McCoy was released last week I believe.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Coffman is a player that may just have high upside. He demonstrated very good hands in college and was a consensus All American

He won the Mackey award as the nation's top college TE before being drafted in the 3rd rd.in 2009, and he has struggled with injuries, temper problems ( the dirty out of bounds hit on an opposing coach) and inconsistency that has had him move around trying to find a team to catch on with. Perhaps he has had to have some sense of entitlement beaten out of him to remind him that he needs to work to keep a job, I speculate here. Like McG says the team will have a good look at him and see if he is good enough to be kept around or has the hunger to compete here. If not, then they will bring in some other candidates and Coffman will be moved out.

He's a potentially interesting addition.

Jville

Reaction score
I don't recall Anthony McCoy ever earning a special teams role. And in any case, he hasn't logged any game snaps in well over two years. I think the Hawks have moved on.

ReShaun Allen saw only 14 offensive snaps (because of injury) in 2014 and nothing in 2015. He has yet to see a special teams snap. They released him from the practice squad in favor of looking at another prospect who they have also moved on from. The 2015 off season will arrive soon enough to accommodate auditions for the next developmental prospects.

Chase Coffman was the Titans #2 tight end in 2014 and #1 snap contributor among tight ends on special teams. Coffman was released in 2015 sometime after one game appearance. Coffman has recent NFL game experience that could prove timely in December.

Seafan

Reaction score
McGruff said:
JMO but this is not the last move we make at this position. Pete and John often prefer bringing in unknown depth players off the street because it gives them a look at a player they haven't seen before. Often times they are cut within days and a more known quantity is brought in. Why not take a look at Coffman for a few practices. If he sucks, then we can go get Allen or McCoy.[/quote

They've seen Coffman up close. But I agree this may not be the last move there. He's cheap insurance right now.

massari

Reaction score
From Yardbarker: http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/artic ... 9_19985944

Field Yates of ESPN reports that the Seahawks tried out TE Anthony McCoy on Wednesday.

This comes just days after Seattle placed TE Jimmy Graham on season-ending injured reserve with a knee injury, so it wouldn’t be surprising to see them bolster their tight end depth in the coming days.

McCoy, 27, is a former sixth-round pick of the Seahawks back in 2010. He was among the Seahawks’ roster cuts at the start of the season, but later signed on with the Redskins after they sustained a number of injuries to tight ends.

Washington cut McCoy loose a little over a week ago, so this is the first reported interest in him since he became available.

This season, McCoy has appeared in six games, but has yet to record a single statistic.

Jville

Reaction score
Well .... well ... well .... I stand corrected. McCoy has logged seventy snaps on offense and 7 special teams snaps for 2015.

I've been exposed. I made a lazy assumption instead of doing a proper search.

Thanks for the update.

capncrunch

Reaction score
I admit I never followed Coffman. Sounds like a guy with a lot of upside. Might be motivated to make it on a quality team like the Seahawks. Go to the playoffs, etc. At one point I liked McCoy. He was a pretty good blocker and got some decent YAC. I also remember him dropping several very routine passes where it killed the drive. You can't do that so much if you want to play in the NFL. We'll see what happens. I am also kind of curious about Helfet. He'll have a chance to get some more snaps now. Hope he makes the most of it.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I'm not sure I'd use the word "upside" regarding a player that's almost 30 years old and has only logged 14 catches in 7 years.

Bottom line: there wasn't much else available.

I'm hoping they sign an established +blocker at the position in FA. It's not expensive. And someone like Logan Paulsen or Michael Hoomanawanui would instantly help the run game and max protect.

OP
OP
K

King Dog

Reaction score
I haven't watched him - ever. He should be able to catch the ball though. Here's his senior stats at Missouri.

90 receptions 987 yards 11.0 avg 10 td