Seattle Seahawks O-Line, and Entire Offense, improving

Jville

Reaction score
Seattle Seahawks O-Line, and Entire Offense, Showing Big Signs of Improvement >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.seahawks.com/news/2015/12/02/seattle-seahawks-o-line-and-entire-offense-showing-big-signs-improvement[/urltargetblank]
_rm14584.jpg

“J.R. and Garry gap down inside, and Thomas came off the edge and smoked that guy, and (Wilson) threw a touchdown,” offensive line coach Tom Cable said. “It’s like, ‘That’s pass protection.’ They’re on the same page, everybody targeted it right .... "

RiverDog

Reaction score
The last two games were at home against bottom 1/3 defenses. This week, we will be on the road against a top 10 defense. It will be a bigger challenge and a much better yardstick by which to measure any improvement on the offensive side of the ball.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
RiverDog":115hvzlg said:
The last two games were at home against bottom 1/3 defenses. This week, we will be on the road against a top 10 defense. It will be a bigger challenge and a much better yardstick by which to measure any improvement on the offensive side of the ball.

I am still attempting to wrap my mind around how you were able to split the league into thirds.

NOLAHawk

Reaction score
Bevellls interview says it all. Russel is getting the ball out up to 1/2 second sooner. Big deal unless you face a guy that can 40 dash in pads in 5 secs. 8 yrds a sec, 4 yards 1/2 sec. Defenders have to get 16 feet closer. That is adjusting to a defense and a weak line
Thats how you play and make everyone look better
Were going to challenge everyone now

ApnaHawk

Reaction score
RiverDog":2gw6yvkq said:

Pittsburgh is not bottom 1/3. Offense put up all points
The niners defense kept Arizonas high flying offense under 20 last week...
Offense did well against zona. Penalties were the death of us.
We put up 30+ against the Rams and the Bengals, both top 5 defenses.....

So what does Minnesotas defense bring that we haven't seen?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
There has been a shift in playcalling the last 10 quarters. It has made the line look better, has made the short passing game better, and Rawls very effective running has really enabled much of it to be effective.

We have seen a shift from play action big shots to a much more manageable pass pro with far more combo routes and attacking middle zones than before. Far less bootlegs and rollout passes.

So while the OC was kind of passive aggressively calling last week the best execution of the year (don't blame me for half a year of bad offense, it was execution), he has most definitely called a different type of game the last 3 weeks. There has been less emphasis on changing formations and personell and more emphasis on spreading the defense out and making them declare their intentions, which has eased reading the defense for Russ.

On tho road, in noise, it will be interesting if they get their silent communication to be good enough to stay spread out.

Largent80

Reaction score
Minnys new stadium is outdoors and I seriously doubt that it will be anywhere near century link regarding noise.

RiverDog

Reaction score
ApnaHawk":17bb49pa said:
RiverDog":17bb49pa said:

We put up 30+ against the Rams and the Bengals, both top 5 defenses.....ñ

Total defense Pittsburgh was ranked #23 the last time I looked. I see now that they've climbed all the way up to #21 overall, so my bad.

I was responding to the OP, which was about our improvement over the last several games, not relative to games played a month or two ago.

Take away our special teams and defensive scores against the Rams and Bengals and our offensive points production against them look quite different.

It's not a matter of what we've seen or not seen vs. Minnesota. It's that our offense has struggled for most of the season against nearly every defense. My point is that being that it's a road game against a top 10 defense it will be a much better yardstick to measure any improvement vs. the past several games that were played at home against lesser defenses.

Alexander

Reaction score
RiverDog":7ak0a4bt said:
ApnaHawk":7ak0a4bt said:
RiverDog":7ak0a4bt said:

We put up 30+ against the Rams and the Bengals, both top 5 defenses.....ñ

Total defense Pittsburgh was ranked #23 the last time I looked. I see now that they've climbed all the way up to #21 overall, so my bad.

I was responding to the OP, which was about our improvement over the last several games, not relative to games played a month or two ago.

Take away our special teams and defensive scores against the Rams and Bengals and our offensive points production against them look quite different.

It's not a matter of what we've seen or not seen vs. Minnesota. It's that our offense has struggled for most of the season against nearly every defense. My point is that being that it's a road game against a top 10 defense it will be a much better yardstick to measure any improvement vs. the past several games that were played at home against lesser defenses.

Pittsburgh's defense is underrated this year. By DVOA, they're actually 16th, while Minnesota's is 14th. This is even after the beating the PIT defense suffered last week.

I do think Minnesota has fewer glaring weaknesses (PIT's defensive success is very much in spite of a terrible secondary), and going on the road is always tough, but I still expect the offense to have success moving the ball. I think the big question is whether the Hawks can continue their recent trend of sterling red zone play. The Vikings have been good defending the red zone this year, so to me that's the big challenge in this game.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Largent80":1zkf28sp said:
Minnys new stadium is outdoors and I seriously doubt that it will be anywhere near century link regarding noise.

Actually its indoors and it isnt fully built yet. They are playing at the college stadium outside like the Seahawks did when CLINK was being built but your point is correct, it probably wont be very loud.

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
Let's not forget that the Vikings D is pretty beat up right now. They'll likely be without Linval Joseph, who's been balling out at a Pro Bowl to All Pro level, and potentially Anthony Barr and Anderson Sendejo (SS) (wait and see on the final injury report today). As long as our line communication holds up (tall task on the road) and we stay on schedule, I'm expecting a big day for Rawls (120+ and a TD) and a complementary game from Russ (240 2TDs).

Alexander

Reaction score
jdemps":2rwjvyhp said:
Let's not forget that the Vikings D is pretty beat up right now. They'll likely be without Linval Joseph, who's been balling out at a Pro Bowl to All Pro level, and potentially Anthony Barr and Anderson Sendejo (SS) (wait and see on the final injury report today). As long as our line communication holds up (tall task on the road) and we stay on schedule, I'm expecting a big day for Rawls (120+ and a TD) and a complementary game from Russ (240 2TDs).

Very good point. Joseph has been officially ruled out for Sunday's game, which is a big blow to the Vikings run defense.

For more discussion about the Vikings banged-up defense: http://www.hawkblogger.com/2015/12/vikings-star-linval-joseph-out-sunday.html

RiverDog

Reaction score
Alexander":15cspyxg said:
Pittsburgh's defense is underrated this year. By DVOA, they're actually 16th, while Minnesota's is 14th. This is even after the beating the PIT defense suffered last week.

I do think Minnesota has fewer glaring weaknesses (PIT's defensive success is very much in spite of a terrible secondary), and going on the road is always tough, but I still expect the offense to have success moving the ball. I think the big question is whether the Hawks can continue their recent trend of sterling red zone play. The Vikings have been good defending the red zone this year, so to me that's the big challenge in this game.

I don't know about the Pittsburgh's D being underrated or not as I haven't watched enough of them to come to that kind of subjective judgment, but otherwise I agree with what you are saying.

IMO one of the key factor that makes this game different than the previous two as far as it relates to the OP, other than the quality of opponent defenses, is that this is a road game.

However you want to slice it, this is the toughest game on the balance of our schedule less the Cards game at the very end. If we come out of this game with a win, we'll have the inside track to the playoffs and a chance to make amends for what to this point has been a very disappointing season.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":3nrnnu40 said:
RiverDog":3nrnnu40 said:

I am still attempting to wrap my mind around how you were able to split the league into thirds.
Pretty simple really, all ya gotta do is add an imaginary 33rd, 36th, 39th team and voila. :lol:

mrt144

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1r3gk0ia said:
There has been a shift in playcalling the last 10 quarters. It has made the line look better, has made the short passing game better, and Rawls very effective running has really enabled much of it to be effective.

We have seen a shift from play action big shots to a much more manageable pass pro with far more combo routes and attacking middle zones than before. Far less bootlegs and rollout passes.

So while the OC was kind of passive aggressively calling last week the best execution of the year (don't blame me for half a year of bad offense, it was execution), he has most definitely called a different type of game the last 3 weeks. There has been less emphasis on changing formations and personell and more emphasis on spreading the defense out and making them declare their intentions, which has eased reading the defense for Russ.

On tho road, in noise, it will be interesting if they get their silent communication to be good enough to stay spread out.

Preach!