With Graham gone, what happens over the middle?

Laloosh

Reaction score
I'm curious to see how the offense adapts to losing our best target over the middle. Graham has changed our offense in that we have been attacking the middle and we've had success.

From 2012 - 2014 Russ went to the short middle around 13% of the time. In 2015 that has jumped to around 17.5 - 18% (which is around league average).

2015 (11 games)-2014
XlXoKOWQddHzma

Do we see production in this area regress? Does Luke Willson take a bigger role in this area? After Graham was injured last week, Russ hit Luke on a seam in the very next play.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Luke Willson goes over the middle but just doesn't get the same volume of opportunities.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Laloosh":1qcyq7zw said:
I'm curious to see how the offense adapts to losing our best target over the middle. Graham has changed our offense in that we have been attacking the middle and we've had success.

From 2012 - 2014 Russ went to the short middle around 13% of the time. In 2015 that has jumped to around 17.5 - 18% (which is around league average).

Here are his targets in 2015 in that area of the field through week 12:

XlXoKOW

Here are his targets for all of 2014:

QddHzma

2015 has been the year of the TE with regard to targets.

Do we see production in this area regress? Does Luke Willson take a bigger role in this area? After Graham was injured last week, Russ hit Luke on a seam in the very next play.
Looking at those graphs, Willson didn't have too bad a percentage of targets/catches in 2014
Also interesting for 2015, Kearse's numbers ain't showing all that bad either.
Baldwin has been pretty much kicking ass since he's come here.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Willson was doing better as he played more last year but injury happened and then we got JG.I think LW will be solid for us.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
I expect 5 catches, 120 yards for Luke Willson on Sunday. With one bomb coming from B.J. Daniels.

SeahawksBMX

Reaction score
joeseahawks":3edjjses said:
I expect 5 catches, 120 yards for Luke Willson on Sunday. With one bomb coming from B.J. Daniels.

From Daniels under Center or some trickery (e.g., end around, fake bubble screen)?
Seems like they'd have some sort of gadget play with BJ in their back pocket to pull out if/when the time is right. Granted, the OL would need to provide enough time for such a play to develop and BJ would need to be on the roster that week, but you'd think having a legit second QB in the backfield would make it tempting.

Maybe I'm just being ridiculous, but I will always have an affinity for the trick play thanks to being introduced to football by watching Jack Patera's Seahawks.

samwize77

Reaction score
I've always liked Luke. Remember Ari last year?

Just have to make use of him more.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Laloosh":11wbxzep said:

Here are his targets in 2015 in that area of the field through week 12:

XlXoKOW

Here are his targets for all of 2014:

QddHzma

2015 has been the year of the TE with regard to targets.

Good topic.

IMO we will see better ball distribution with Graham out. As your graphic indicates, in an effort to get Graham more involved, we forced the ball more to him as evidenced by his targets/catches percentage.

The answer to your next question is pretty obvious: Yes, Luke will take on an increased role, although IMO you'll see more participation with the outside guys, ie Baldwin, Kearse, and Lockett than was present when we were jamming he ball into Graham all the time.

Tical21

Reaction score
I haven't watched any of his tape this year, but last year you would have needed to work hard to convince me that Luke Willson wasn't the worst of however many players suited up for the Seahawks last year. He had a worse Super Bowl than any player I have ever seen play in any game.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
I can't help but keep thinking about next year.

Assuming the O-line continues to improve and we resign Okung and probably Sweezy if Lynch is done or restructured and getting P-Rich and Graham back while Rawls, Luke Willson and Tyler Lockett gain more valuable experience. How good could this offense become?

This of course assumes that Graham will come back 100% and P-Rich will be and remain healthy.

This would also leave us in good position to address the lines in the draft and possibly FA. We may not need O-lineman as badly by then and Mebane might be riding into the sunset.

A

Anonymous

RichNhansom":13d081sm said:
I can't help but keep thinking about next year.

Assuming the O-line continues to improve and we resign Okung and probably Sweezy if Lynch is done or restructured and getting P-Rich and Graham back while Rawls, Luke Willson and Tyler Lockett gain more valuable experience. How good could this offense become?

This of course assumes that Graham will come back 100% and P-Rich will be and remain healthy.

This would also leave us in good position to address the lines in the draft and possibly FA. We may not need O-lineman as badly by then and Mebane might be riding into the sunset.

I don't think it's unhealthy to think to the future at least a little bit, but having the white towel in your hand and being ready to toss it in the ring might be a little too much at this point.

I'm staying in the now.

Plenty of skilled players ready to shine and suiting up today.