Pointless hypothetical re: Wilson's contract

Erebus

Reaction score
If Russell didn't sign his contract extension this year and was set to hit free agency, how much more would we have to pony up now to get a deal done in light of his nuclear streak?

I'm afraid of the answer, and very glad we got a deal done when we did.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
As much as he wanted most likely. With all the teams needing franchise QB's, if he hit FA he could command a contract much higher than the top paid. Guy is blasting records out of the water right now, has had phenomenal durability, doesn't do stupid things off the field, can adapt to change pretty well, is young, and is the only QB that is mobile, accurate and built like a runningback. We have a bargain with his contract.

Hawks46

Reaction score
If we're throwing numbers out there, I'm willing to bet he gets between 25-27 mil/year with the way he's playing.

He can rightly point to his early season struggles to the OL struggles. He's on a historic pace, and he's outplaying the guy who is making 22 mil/year right now, Aaron Rodgers.

Most of the cap experts on this site have said in 2-3 years Wilson's contract won't be considered ridiculous. I personally don't think it's poor money spent if he plays at a high level. If he's earning that 22 mil/year, he's showing value.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Here's the thing: is anyone actually worth $22 mil/yr?

Probably not, but that is what the market is for a top level QB. Every year as well the market value for this rare commodity increases. RW is a rare commodity a potential and constantly improving franchise level QB with exceptional mobility. Answer to the OP ? is that the Hawks would have paid more and maybe a lot more.

kearly

Reaction score
If Wilson had gone to UFA next spring you'd probably see some ridiculously high offers. Going spread heavy isn't going to scare many teams, and Wilson is doing his damage from the pocket even while being surrounded by spare parts and UDFAs.