NFL.com: Schneider 9th in GM Power Rankings

bileever

Reaction score
Sounds about right. the Pete/JS combo have gotten a lot right, but have also had years where they’ve made some questionable decisions.

At their best they created the LOB, at their worst they’ve made moves that would have gotten most GMs fired if they hadn’t won a SuperBowl.

They’ve done a good job finding depth over the years, but until this draft they’ve struggled to find difference makers.

When they’re on, they’re on, when they’re off, ohhh boy is it bad.

It seems they’ve gotten less cute, and have adopted a back to basics approach. Last year the Russell Wilson trade was a stroke of brilliance. The draft that ensued was, oddly, very NFL orthodox by PC/JS standards. No strange reaches or weird picks, just very straight forward approach.

Even their approach to FA seems to be less of an anomaly this season. I’m interested to see what direction they go this draft.
A lot of drafting failures were also a result of a lack of draft capital, both from having winning seasons and wasting it on trades. We gave up a 1st, a 3rd and a 7th for Percy Harvin, a 2nd and a 7th (and Jermaine Kearse) for Sheldon Richardson, Max Unger and a 1st round pick for Jimmy Graham, and of course, two 1st round picks for Jamal Adams. So yes, John Schneider is not without his flaws.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
A lot of drafting failures were also a result of a lack of draft capital, both from having winning seasons and wasting it on trades. We gave up a 1st, a 3rd and a 7th for Percy Harvin, a 2nd and a 7th (and Jermaine Kearse) for Sheldon Richardson, Max Unger and a 1st round pick for Jimmy Graham, and of course, two 1st round picks for Jamal Adams. So yes, John Schneider is not without his flaws.
It’s easy to say “lack of draft capital” but in the early rounds we passed on a TON of pro-bowl and even some all-pro talent that was at our first round/second round position at positions of need. As you mentioned, we also had some dismal trades that set the franchise back. Jamal Adams in particular was an egregious terrible trade. We gave up franchise QB capital for a safety that didn't even fit our system and what we did as a defense.

I'm not saying they need to hit on all of those all-pro/probowlers, but some of the players they passed over were quite frankly, head scratching.

Fade

Reaction score
The lack of draft capital arguement is factually incorrect. When compared to the top 8 defenses - they would be wedged in at #2 over the last 5 years in draft capital spent on defense.

And they will probably be #1 after this draft if they go defensive heavy. There is an agruement to be made they are spending too many picks on defense and should focus most of those picks on Offense where they are excellent at drafting (Eskridge aside).

I don't think it's JS failing to properly evaluate defensive players as we went through this with Tom Cable on the Offensive Line. It's the coaching and the scheme and mismanagement of the defense.

They are pouring insane amounts of assets into the defense to only be terrible. The same thing happened under Cable for a time, until they gutted it. They were still terrible but at least they stopped dumping so many resources into it. Instead they shifted to defense around 2017 and the results have been terrible since. '22 draft they went offensive heavy and whaddaya know? A buncha good picks with no Tom Cable in the way to screw up the O-Line picks.
(Side note: Pete Carroll is still a DB whisperer, but just about every other aspect of the defense is a tire fire currently.)

https://www.seahawks.net/threads/the-hawks-d-vs-the-top-8-d-asset-expenditure.184749/

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Why? I’m curious what people have seen from him that make them such fans of his?
Continually derives the most value from his draft picks, is a decently prolific trader, has rostered some of the best teams in modern NFL history, has sustained winning even with great odds stacked against him (2018 and 2022 come to mind), pulled off perhaps the best trade in NFL history despite the large majority of observers thinking it was a bad idea, etc etc etc etc etc

Rainger

Reaction score
Pete's inability to put together a defense post L.O.B. ends up dragging JS down.

JS is top 3 easy.
Your inability to have even the slightest bit of logic and not hatred toward PC and your irrational view of how much he has done for the Hawks and your lack of knowledge of how JS and PC work together says you just said that PC should be top 3 easy without even realising it. If JS is top 3 so is PC.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
He's the flavor of the month at this time for mediots. How do you have Les Snead/Sean McVay at #6? That team was so horrid that McVay considered retiring.

Lol. They were in two Super Bowls just a couple of years ago. Its not hard to understand.

JS at 9 is fair and i'm sure he was boosted in the rankings by last years draft. Before that, it was pretty rocky for drafting for quite a few years.

olyfan63

Reaction score
My first reaction was, "GM 'Power Rankings'?? Really??!!"
So they have JS (and PC) rated in the top third. These are very subjective rankings so top third is fine for all the "difference" this "power ranking" DOESN'T make.

It would be satisfying to see JS/PC get some executive awards recognition, IF they knock this coming draft out of the park and have a division championship season. Yes, JS/PC for sure deserved NFL exec awards after the 2012 and 2013 seasons. Short of a division championship 2024 season knocking the 49ers off that perch, it's just a subjective beauty contest that doesn't really affect anything.

Fade

Reaction score
Your inability to have even the slightest bit of logic and not hatred toward PC and your irrational view of how much he has done for the Hawks and your lack of knowledge of how JS and PC work together says you just said that PC should be top 3 easy without even realising it. If JS is top 3 so is PC.
Pete's inability to put together a quality defense despite the resources poured into it post L.O.B, hurts his standing dearly. Sorry.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
The lack of draft capital arguement is factually incorrect. When compared to the top 8 defenses - they would be wedged in at #2 over the last 5 years in draft capital spent on defense.

And they will probably be #1 after this draft if they go defensive heavy. There is an agruement to be made they are spending too many picks on defense and should focus most of those picks on Offense where they are excellent at drafting (Eskridge aside).

I don't think it's JS failing to properly evaluate defensive players as we went through this with Tom Cable on the Offensive Line. It's the coaching and the scheme and mismanagement of the defense.

They are pouring insane amounts of assets into the defense to only be terrible. The same thing happened under Cable for a time, until they gutted it. They were still terrible but at least they stopped dumping so many resources into it. Instead they shifted to defense around 2017 and the results have been terrible since. '22 draft they went offensive heavy and whaddaya know? A buncha good picks with no Tom Cable in the way to screw up the O-Line picks.
(Side note: Pete Carroll is still a DB whisperer, but just about every other aspect of the defense is a tire fire currently.)

https://www.seahawks.net/threads/the-hawks-d-vs-the-top-8-d-asset-expenditure.184749/
You do realize these rankings are based off of win/loss record the previous year? Maybe you don’t, which is scary.

AnimeAmore

Reaction score
The fact that JS has never won executive of the year is a complete head scratcher.
It sounds crazy at first, but it actually makes some sense after breaking it down a little. I won't go into year-by-year but I'll give you an example.
The year we won the super bowl was the same year that Schneider/Carroll made perhaps the worst trade in seahawks history, and certainly the worst trade in the NFL that year (Harvin).
Schneider was deserving of the award *in general* for what the seahawks were able to achieve, but you simply can't give the Executive of the Year award to the guy who made the *worst* move of the year.
Percy Harvin managed to wreck a lot of things in his short time here, and one of those things was Schneider's award.

In all honesty, it seems like the Seahawks spend a couple years really building the team smartly, and then they either make an ill-advised swing for a homerun or they get lazy or make moves that are completely out of character for what seemed to work.

Trading for Graham and then using him as a blocker was a boneheaded move that set us back.

The Jamal Adams trade was insanely stupid from day 1.

He also killed his chances when we were doing our SPARQ drafts that produced very little.

John Schneider *does* deserve an executive of the year award, but every time he's about to get it he makes a move that disqualifies him. They really just need to cut out the stupid stuff and he'll get it. If the Hawks win a playoff game with Geno Smith this year I think he may finally get it.

cymatica

Reaction score
It sounds crazy at first, but it actually makes some sense after breaking it down a little. I won't go into year-by-year but I'll give you an example.
The year we won the super bowl was the same year that Schneider/Carroll made perhaps the worst trade in seahawks history, and certainly the worst trade in the NFL that year (Harvin).
Schneider was deserving of the award *in general* for what the seahawks were able to achieve, but you simply can't give the Executive of the Year award to the guy who made the *worst* move of the year.
Percy Harvin managed to wreck a lot of things in his short time here, and one of those things was Schneider's award.

In all honesty, it seems like the Seahawks spend a couple years really building the team smartly, and then they either make an ill-advised swing for a homerun or they get lazy or make moves that are completely out of character for what seemed to work.

Trading for Graham and then using him as a blocker was a boneheaded move that set us back.

The Jamal Adams trade was insanely stupid from day 1.

He also killed his chances when we were doing our SPARQ drafts that produced very little.

John Schneider *does* deserve an executive of the year award, but every time he's about to get it he makes a move that disqualifies him. They really just need to cut out the stupid stuff and he'll get it. If the Hawks win a playoff game with Geno Smith this year I think he may finally get it.

The Harvin trade wasn't a disaster until after they won the SB. He missed several games that year but he looked pretty good when he did play.

The mistake was letting Tate walk after SB48, and he would have stayed if they didn't low-ball him, which was probably due to paying Harvin. But that all happened afterwards.

AnimeAmore

Reaction score
The Harvin trade wasn't a disaster until after they won the SB. He missed several games that year but he looked pretty good when he did play.

The mistake was letting Tate walk after SB48, and he would have stayed if they didn't low-ball him, which was probably due to paying Harvin. But that all happened afterwards.
Harvin missed almost the entire season. It was absolutely a terrible trade way before they won the super bowl, and that's only talking about the lack of on-field production. Add in the locker room issues in year 1 and it was a disaster.
People also often forget that right after Harvin inked his deal with us he was trying to undergo surgery that would've taken him out for most or all of the season. The Seahawks weren't about to let their expensive and controversial acquisition sit out the first year because of a surgery that the team doctors said wasn't required. He ended up missing almost the whole season anyway, which means that ultimately the Seahawks didn't do their due diligence on Harvin. All of those mistakes were set in stone the day he was traded for.

2013 stats: 1 game, 1 reception, 17 yards.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
I guess it doesnt help that the Pistons, Tigers, and Red Wings are all terrible right now, but their fans have still been annoying.

[Looks at @Rat's avatar]

So uh... since you live in Michigan, I gotta ask what you thought of your neighbors around, say, Thanksgiving weekend of last year and the following week.

Also, I'm not sure where else I could ask this, so I'll just ask here: how does it work out that football teams from big state universities in the midwest play eight home games and just four away games? The team that ended up ranked second played six and six. Even the national champs played six at home, four away, and two on "neutral" fields.

OP
OP
Rat

Rat

Reaction score
[Looks at @Rat's avatar]

So uh... since you live in Michigan, I gotta ask what you thought of your neighbors around, say, Thanksgiving weekend of last year and the following week.

Also, I'm not sure where else I could ask this, so I'll just ask here: how does it work out that football teams from big state universities in the midwest play eight home games and just four away games? The team that ended up ranked second played six and six. Even the national champs played six at home, four away, and two on "neutral" fields.
I'm a completely dejected Pistons fan who is jaded on the NBA after that screwjob we got in the draft lottery last night. The last two years of college football have been... not fun, but we had built up quite a bragging rights surplus, so I guess I'm getting what I've had coming.

I dont know how the home-home thing works. They probably get more discretion over the location since the money these games bring in are so in demand.