J. Lane vs D. Shead ...to fight for CB spot ...

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Compete, compete, compete ...
Pete says J. Lane and D. Shead should fight it out for the CB position opposite Sherman.
Lane played most of the game yesterday. Lane is taller and faster.
How did you rate his performance? And who would you start?
Burley played well in the slot (for Lane).

OP
OP
J

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Could a guy like Shead (because of his size , small stature, shiftiness and short steps) be more appropriate to go after a guy like Edelman or Amendola? We saw last year that our tall CB were not able to stop the shifty and very mobile receivers of the Pats.

King Dog

Reaction score
Sorry. Lane is not taller.

Edit: Just re-read these comments. WTH people? Shead is 6'2" lol

drrew

Reaction score
What King Dog said.

Shead is huge for a CB. At 6'2 220lb he has 2 inches 30lbs on Lane.

raisethe3

Reaction score
King Dog":3hyhfoib said:
Sorry. Lane is not taller.

Edit: Just re-read these comments. WTH people? Shead is 6'2" lol

Lol, that was my first thought.

Anyways, I prefer they have Shead on the RCB spot and Lane on the nickel. Lane really knows the nickel well enough. I like Shead on the outside because he's bigger and more physical, although, there are complaints that he lack fluid and not turning to see the where the ball is landing. But I trust Pete when it comes to his decision.

The Outfield

Reaction score
Tough decision. Both have looked pretty good there. It comes down to who do you trust the most to play nickel? Lane, Shead, or Burley?

nepahawk

Reaction score
Lane is weak and doesn't like contact.
He just makes arm tackles.
Would rather have a bigger more physical player @ cb.
Leave Lane in slot, when on the field.

McGruff

Reaction score
The Outfield":tuze5f3u said:
Tough decision. Both have looked pretty good there. It comes down to who do you trust the most to play nickel? Lane, Shead, or Burley?

It's not that complcated. Lane starts and shifts to the nickel in 3+ wr sets.

sc85sis

Reaction score
nepahawk":rhbzdtrz said:
Lane is weak and doesn't like contact.
He just makes arm tackles.
Would rather have a bigger more physical player @ cb.
Leave Lane in slot, when on the field.
To be fair, the guy is coming off a double injury that was major in both locations. The last few games have basically been his preseason.

j hawk

Reaction score
Imho, Shead is the more physical DB can tackle better and is better in run support. Lane tracks the ball better and is faster and would be better on the outside. This is why Pete gets the big bucks and I just spill drinks in the chair. :mrgreen:

peppersjap

Reaction score
I love Shead at the position. I think he has been one of the biggest surprises this year and has been a huge part of the turn around. I just hope we can get him re signed for next year. His price tag might be going up a bit. I think Lane should stay in the nickel.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Lane at RCB and Burley at Nickel with Shead being the primary back up for all 5 secondary spots would be my pick.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
It's pros and cons and matchups. I prefer to have them both on the field in nickel in whatever suits them best in a given game/situation.

Tical21

Reaction score
Shead's been pretty good, but you simply can't go with him, not as the stakes climb. He can't learn the one thing that will keep him from ever being a good corner in our scheme. Since we mandate that our corners have deep responsibility, and we're going to play some teams that can get the ball down the field, namely Washington and Arizona, we just can't start a corner that has no chance. If he has a 7 yard start on Desean Jackson and Cousins throws a go route 55 yards down field, Jackson is going to beat Shead to the spot. I'm a huge fan of Shead, but starting him at corner throughout the playoffs would be the death of us. We'd have to play a lot more cover-2, and try our best to hide him from faster receivers. I don't even like Shead against Ginn. He's just not fast enough to be a corner.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
McGruff":148yp73j said:
The Outfield":148yp73j said:

It's not that complcated. Lane starts and shifts to the nickel in 3+ wr sets.

Except, Burley is almost certainly better as a nickel CB than Shead is as a boundary CB.

nategreat

Reaction score
Tical21":3ra6qjlp said:
Shead's been pretty good, but you simply can't go with him, not as the stakes climb. He can't learn the one thing that will keep him from ever being a good corner in our scheme. Since we mandate that our corners have deep responsibility, and we're going to play some teams that can get the ball down the field, namely Washington and Arizona, we just can't start a corner that has no chance. If he has a 7 yard start on Desean Jackson and Cousins throws a go route 55 yards down field, Jackson is going to beat Shead to the spot. I'm a huge fan of Shead, but starting him at corner throughout the playoffs would be the death of us. We'd have to play a lot more cover-2, and try our best to hide him from faster receivers. I don't even like Shead against Ginn. He's just not fast enough to be a corner.

He's faster than Sherman, and Sherman does just fine.... I don't think speed's the issue, he just needs to recognize things a little sooner. I remember you saying the same thing about Tyler Lockett not being fast enough- no disrespect.

Anyways, between Lane coming back from injury and Shead- if they both stay healthy, I don't think we'll go wrong. Here's hoping to a nice playoff run by the new LOB :th2thumbs:

hawknation2015

Reaction score
nategreat":d19nz9vc said:
Tical21":d19nz9vc said:

He's faster than Sherman, and Sherman does just fine.... I don't think speed's the issue, he just needs to recognize things a little sooner. I remember you saying the same thing about Tyler Lockett not being fast enough- no disrespect.

Anyways, between Lane coming back from injury and Shead- if they both stay healthy, I don't think we'll go wrong. Here's hoping to a nice playoff run by the new LOB :th2thumbs:

I think it's mainly a technique issue. Lane and Burley have spent a lot of time carefully cultivating LOB-quality technique for the CB position. Shead is mostly going off of instinct, having moved to the position midseason, and mostly playing safety before with some nickel thrown in. The good news is Lane and Burley are peaking at the right time, while Shead gives them excellent depth that they have not had in a long time.

Latest posts