Tyler Lockett ranks #1 in the NFL in WR DVOA

shawnsim

Reaction score
Wow.
That is actually very impressive for the pedestrians.

One of these days this crew is gonna walk all over you.

Alexander

Reaction score
hawknation2015":fh0twq77 said:
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/wr

Lockett is also #1 in catch cate (79%) and #1 in regular Value Over Average (45.6%).

Doug Baldwin is #2 in the NFL in DVOA (41.5%), #2 in DYAR (368), #2 in VOA (40.1%), and tied for #2 in catch rate (76%).

Jermaine Kearse is #6 in the NFL in DVOA (27.4%).

DVOA loves us this year.

The WRs on the team have been incredible this year. Baldwin's been high on the DVOA list before, but this is the first time he's combined efficiency with volume. Seriously, the fact that he's second in DYAR behind only Antonio Brown is just insane. Especially on a team that has the third fewest pass attempts in the league.

Rob12

Reaction score
Lockett is special - truly special.

I can't wait to see his career progress over the next few years. He's going to be catching 90-100 balls a season.

Such an amazing draft pick by PC/JS.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Rob12":3jdb8vya said:

I can't wait to see his career progress over the next few years. He's going to be catching 90-100 balls a season.

I doubt he catches that many in Pete's run-first offense, but he's definitely the real deal. He's so far ahead of where Tate was at this point it's not even funny. He might already be a better route runner that Golden is right now, and he's just as quick, as well as being faster. When comparing the two, the only thing I miss about Tate is that greased-ping-pong-ball-like ability to break tackles. I doubt we'll have anyone like that again.

Rob12

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":qth71pfy said:
Rob12":qth71pfy said:

I doubt he catches that many in Pete's run-first offense, but he's definitely the real deal. He's so far ahead of where Tate was at this point it's not even funny. He might already be a better route runner that Golden is right now, and he's just as quick, as well as being faster. When comparing the two, the only thing I miss about Tate is that greased-ping-pong-ball-like ability to break tackles. I doubt we'll have anyone like that again.

But we're seeing this team move away from the traditional. PC teams have to evolve, and I think we've seen that with the handing of the torch to RW. Marshawn was never going to be a forever thing, and despite having Rawls and a rejuvenated C-Mike, I don't think they're paying RW $22M to only throwing the ball 25-28 times a game. I'm not saying he's ever going to be a guy who throws the ball 40-50 times per game, but I could definitely see Lockett having an Antonio Brown type effect on this offense. Bottom line, you want the football in this kid's hands as much as possible. I don't see many who would dispute that. In order to do that, the receptions will be aplenty. Six catches a game gets you to 96 grabs over a full season, and I think that's a realistic number for Lockett going forward - maybe not in year two, but I think he'll end up grabbing a ton of balls for the Seahawks over the years, especially with RW in his prime. You have to maximize that investment in a league that seemingly is geared more and more towards passing offenses. Lockett has grabbed 55 in 14 games, and I feel like he hasn't been a true part of this offense until the second half of the season. I don't see 90-100 balls as being all that unrealistic.

Polaris

Reaction score
Does anyone still think we traded too much to go up in the draft and snatch Lockett from the 'Skins?

rideaducati

Reaction score
Rob12":3iqmank9 said:
HawKnPeppa":3iqmank9 said:
Rob12":3iqmank9 said:

But we're seeing this team move away from the traditional. PC teams have to evolve, and I think we've seen that with the handing of the torch to RW. Marshawn was never going to be a forever thing, and despite having Rawls and a rejuvenated C-Mike, I don't think they're paying RW $22M to only throwing the ball 25-28 times a game. I'm not saying he's ever going to be a guy who throws the ball 40-50 times per game, but I could definitely see Lockett having an Antonio Brown type effect on this offense. Bottom line, you want the football in this kid's hands as much as possible. I don't see many who would dispute that. In order to do that, the receptions will be aplenty. Six catches a game gets you to 96 grabs over a full season, and I think that's a realistic number for Lockett going forward - maybe not in year two, but I think he'll end up grabbing a ton of balls for the Seahawks over the years, especially with RW in his prime. You have to maximize that investment in a league that seemingly is geared more and more towards passing offenses. Lockett has grabbed 55 in 14 games, and I feel like he hasn't been a true part of this offense until the second half of the season. I don't see 90-100 balls as being all that unrealistic.

Russell is still throwing the ball less than 30 times per game. The Seahawks are still running the ball more than they are throwing the ball. Pete isn't going to change his philosophy any time soon. Pete's philosophy has worked and will continue to work and I don't expect it to change.

JAGHAWK

Reaction score
Bob Condotta ‏@bcondotta 5m5 minutes ago
Biggest news today is that Carroll reveals Tyler Lockett's nickname is "nowee.'' Mean no E at the end of his last name.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":95rm41v6 said:
Rob12":95rm41v6 said:

Can you imagine him with a healthy Paul Richardson- who I though was playing really well to end last year. It looks like we've got 2 young promising WR prospects.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Efficiency and volume are often inversely related. Everybody wondered why CJ Spiller didn't get more touches in Buffalo when he was averaging 8 YPC but few thought about which way the cause and effect went on that. When they eventually increased his volume the efficiency went away because he was now in less optimal situations.

As a run first team our passing offense is going to be slightly more efficient - much like the change-up of a pitcher with an elite fastball. What makes our recent performance so impressive is that we have been increasing volume and the efficiency has stayed elite. Lockett's is continuing to catch everything thrown his way even as he is being targeted more often and in less advantageous situations. That's a hugely positive sign for the future and everybody should have the highest expectations for his career here.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Polaris":1lquka0h said:
Does anyone still think we traded too much to go up in the draft and snatch Lockett from the 'Skins?

Hindsight is a crazy thing, eh? I felt really good about Lockett after watching his footage from K-State. I mean he noticeably looked more ready than even Richardson's vids from Colorado, and I was impressed with those as well. Glad things turned out the way they did. Letting this guy ride pine, even for this rook season, would have been a supreme waste of talent.

Uffda

Reaction score
Just a feeling, he's going to have his best game yet, tomorrow.