Rookie O line man Mark Glowinski is playing this sunday!

ExBassGuide

Reaction score
The experiment continues for the Offensive line! A Rookie O line man will be playing this Sunday!
Mark Glowinski will be playing! Hope he does better than the rookie center we pulled to try to save the season!
Russell could get KILLED. looks like a Sweezy replacement!
:141847_bnono: Roger

OP
OP
ExBassGuide

ExBassGuide

Reaction score
That info is deep in side a post that is not in the subject line. I never saw it and people need to know about this rather than clicking in many posts to find it.
Thanks

saroos

Reaction score
I'm stoked to see what Glow has. I think he will be the Sweezy replacement for next year. We should see what we got anyways.

OP
OP
ExBassGuide

ExBassGuide

Reaction score
That is all well and good till the D line breaks thou the hawks O line and crushes Russell right before the playoffs.
Have a back up to the back up in case it's not working :th2thumbs:

minormillikin

Reaction score
I hope he looks good, I expect it will be a tough day for him.

The most frustrating thing about our offensive line is that, with Russ as qb, we don't need a great oline. We only need an average line but we have below average.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
GeekHawk":1qutvrlr said:
Is Glowinski another damn D-line conversion project? Or does he have some actual O-line background?

No...I believe he played on OL in college. Probably a reason why he isn't starting because he isn't a D-line conversion project that Cable is so fond of.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":xlo7rjx6 said:
GeekHawk":xlo7rjx6 said:
Is Glowinski another damn D-line conversion project? Or does he have some actual O-line background?

No...I believe he played on OL in college. Probably a reason why he isn't starting because he isn't a D-line conversion project that Cable is so fond of.

Yeah, I bet this is just killing Cable!

Osprey

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3poc1j49 said:
GeekHawk":3poc1j49 said:

Doesn't the argument go that all the athletic recruits are playing D-Line in college and therefore the O-line has less potential by default?

I wonder how much of the conversion aspect is more a reflection of Pete & John's fascination with freak athleticism?

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Hopefully they have done some work on his pre-snap foot placement. In that highlight reel, there were several times that I could predict where the play was going based on how he lined up.

-bsd

seahawks08

Reaction score
Bill Assumpcao":22sug4yf said:
GeekHawk":22sug4yf said:
[youtube]QrVWq4G3dc0[/youtube]

Go Hawks,
BillA
I think Cable is right. OL lacks athletic ability. I don't see him being an impact player in college. Wonder if he has grown and been coached up. He's always got a tendency to block left from his stands and in space he wait to block rather than make progression. He lacks speed too, hope he gets better.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Osprey":nl0epp6o said:
hawkfan68":nl0epp6o said:
GeekHawk":nl0epp6o said:

Doesn't the argument go that all the athletic recruits are playing D-Line in college and therefore the O-line has less potential by default?

I wonder how much of the conversion aspect is more a reflection of Pete & John's fascination with freak athleticism?

From what I remember reading, Cable's assertion is that the college offenses have changed so much to the spread concept that it's nigh impossible to get an O-lineman in the draft who is already familiar/skilled with pro concepts. And therefore, the idea is that since they'll have to teach them from the fundamentals on up, go get the biggest and most athletic guys, regardless of what side of the line they were on.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
volsunghawk":2uvfv96v said:
Osprey":2uvfv96v said:
hawkfan68":2uvfv96v said:
GeekHawk":2uvfv96v said:

From what I remember reading, Cable's assertion is that the college offenses have changed so much to the spread concept that it's nigh impossible to get an O-lineman in the draft who is already familiar/skilled with pro concepts. And therefore, the idea is that since they'll have to teach them from the fundamentals on up, go get the biggest and most athletic guys, regardless of what side of the line they were on.

Based on having one of the worst O-lines in The Bigs, it doesn't seem to be an argument with a lot of merit.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
volsunghawk":14cln2bs said:
Osprey":14cln2bs said:
hawkfan68":14cln2bs said:
GeekHawk":14cln2bs said:

That is exactly right. Here is a snippet from an interview that Cable did with Brock and Salk back in May. The transcript is below and you can also listen to that interview for yourself at the link located at the bottom of this post ...

Huard: "How much of today's college football, with all the spread and everyone throwing it all over the place (and not necessarily moving people at the point of attack) makes this somewhat of a necessity? That you have got to find physical difference makers whether they're playing D Line all throughout college or not?"

Cable: "Well, I think you nailed it Brock. I think that's exactly what is going on -- and I'm not offending or wanting to offend anybody, but college football offensively has gotten to be really, really bad fundamentally. And so you see these big bodies and you think, 'Well, he's 6'5" this, and he's 300-this, and his arms are this and that -- and then you watch him and he's not a finisher, he doesn't strain, and he can't pass set, and he can't stay on balance, and he can't play with leverage -- and you start finding all of these negatives. And you look at it and say, 'Well, I can go get a guy who runs a little faster, maybe jumps a little higher, that's got an aggressive streak in him (at least I can see that on defense) and just start with him. I'm going to have to re-train an offensive lineman that's coming out of college right now anyway. So, you nailed it. Unfortunately, I think we're doing a huge disservice to offensive football players other than a receiver that comes out of these spread systems because the runners aren't as good -- they're not taught how to run. The blockers aren't as good. The quarterbacks aren't as good. They don't know how to read coverage and how to throw progressions and they have no idea."
http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_player_sports/?a=9987240&p=1007&n=Brock and Salk

HawkGA

Reaction score
I thought he looked pretty good in space. Maybe he could have been more aggressive but didn't seem like he fell over or whiffed a lot, which our linemen have a tendency to do. Of course, all taken with the grain of salt that is the "highlight" reel.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
GeekHawk":1f5i8y4w said:
volsunghawk":1f5i8y4w said:

Based on having one of the worst O-lines in The Bigs, it doesn't seem to be an argument with a lot of merit.

Honestly outside of Dallas, who really sticks out has having a great offensive line? OL's are largely poor across the board in the NFL... and the line has definitely improved from the start of the year. Aaron Donald is arguably the most complete defensive tackle in football, even better than Watt... and if he's not better than Watt well he's damn near equal to him. Last weeks struggles had a lot to do with that man's talent as much as anything else.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
GeekHawk":2rikb4bq said:
volsunghawk":2rikb4bq said:
Osprey":2rikb4bq said:
hawkfan68":2rikb4bq said:

You are ignoring the obvious. The reason Cable would even need to convert defensive linemen is because Schneider and Carroll have chosen to LIMIT the resources used on the offensive line in order to utilize those resources elsewhere.

The have only drafted three OL converts, the rest were undrafted players, and not one of those OL converts have been selected above the 6th Round -- two came in the 7th Round and one this year was in the 6th Round. As a four-year starter and former 7th Round pick, J.R. Sweezy has been a success story. Likewise, for this year's 6th Round pick, Kristjan Sokoli, to remain on the active roster for the entire season is an indicator of success relative to where he was drafted.

Some people are ignorantly blaming the OL conversions when it is really just a symptom of the true dilemma: the choice to limit OL resources in favor spending those resources on other areas of the team, i.e. the highest paid secondary in the league, two highly paid LBs, two highly paid DEs, the 2nd highest paid QB in the league, etc.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":328ugky1 said:
GeekHawk":328ugky1 said:
volsunghawk":328ugky1 said:

Honestly outside of Dallas, who really sticks out has having a great offensive line? OL's are largely poor across the board in the NFL... and the line has definitely improved from the start of the year. Aaron Donald is arguably the most complete defensive tackle in football, even better than Watt... and if he's not better than Watt well he's damn near equal to him. Last weeks struggles had a lot to do with that man's talent as much as anything else.

It's a good point. The Hawks have to just live with having to play Aaron Donald twice a year, because that rare interior olineman that can slow him up isn't becoming available in free agency any time soon or currently playing college football. Guys like Watt and Donald have to be schemed against, because they're mismatches for every onlineman in the league.

Latest posts