Outcoached for 59 mins but not on last play

mikeak

Reaction score
You expect the kicker to make it of course. However Collingsworth called it - the ball was not in a great spot for the kicker

Almost every other coach would have taken a knee in the right spot. So what if Seattle has 15-20 secs left

We saw it yesterday. Pittsburgh kicked at 18 secs rather than risk anything

Zimmer made a major mistake. You still expect the kicker to
Make it but his job is to optimize and they failed

Thanks!!!!

FanSince82

Reaction score
Basically yeah. The coaching staff's blushes spared by divine intervention.

Silver Hawk

Reaction score
Outcoached for 59 minutes, even though we were leading in the 4th quarter? I don't really see that at all. Tough road game in brutal conditions, where just about anything could have happened.

Optimus25

Reaction score
Silver Hawk":296pphoc said:
Outcoached for 59 minutes, even though we were leading in the 4th quarter? I don't really see that at all. Tough road game in brutal conditions, where just about anything could have happened.

In all fairness, the offense was discombobulated all day long. Couldn't get set and run plays on time. Didn't have something ready on a critical fourth down, and couldn't snap it when the defense was running around confused pre snap.

Frankly, we were outcoached in the perspective of their defense vs our offense by a mile.

We shouldn't even have scored a touchdown. That snap results in a twenty yard loss ninety nine times out of a hundred.

We weren't prepared to move the ball efficiently in this weather.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Seems awfully vague to just say we were "outcoached"

At least two touchdown passes were cut down by sub zero temps. Lockett dropped another beauty that would have put us inside the 10.

There were headset problems. Russ was misfiring all over. Starting a 5th string running back.

Did the coaches make mistakes? Probably. But there were so many factors that led to sluggishness that just saying we were outcoached seems kind of lazy.

Silver Hawk

Reaction score
Optimus25":2fgtziwj said:
Silver Hawk":2fgtziwj said:

In all fairness, the offense was discombobulated all day long. Couldn't get set and run plays on time. Didn't have something ready on a critical fourth down, and couldn't snap it when the defense was running around confused pre snap.

Frankly, we were outcoached in the perspective of their defense vs our offense by a mile.

We shouldn't even have scored a touchdown. That snap results in a twenty yard loss ninety nine times out of a hundred.

We weren't prepared to move the ball efficiently in this weather.

In all fairness, can't Russ see, way ahead of time that maybe the ball needs to be snapped quickly? How many times did he meander up to the line and kind of look around and let 10 seconds expire off of the play clock? Maybe there was some issue with the communication equipment but nonetheless, it sure seemed like he should have been able to deal with that better.

So, the crappy snap was a coaching issue? OK.

I don't buy into this "outcoached" narrative at all. It was a brutally difficult situation. We led in the 4th quarter. We won. That's enough for me.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
It was the cold that ultimately neutralized our offense and made the game winnable for the Vikings. That is NOT sour grapes talking, that is the God's honest truth about how I feel. Had this game been played in normal temps I would bet 9 out of 10 times we beat them convincingly.

Ambrose83

Reaction score
Aros":u4edgzun said:
It was the cold that ultimately neutralized our offense and made the game winnable for the Vikings. That is NOT sour grapes talking, that is the God's honest truth about how I feel. Had this game been played in normal temps I would bet 9 out of 10 times we beat them convincingly.

Agreed

themunn

Reaction score
Outcoached?
The Vikings scored on 3 drives of 25, 28 and 19 yards - and in the first one the drive started IN FG range.

Our offense was misfiring today but our defense completely and utterly dominated the Vikings today, if not for a nonsense PI call on Kam the miss would never have had a chance to happen.

hawks85

Reaction score
Ambrose83":1f7ncaih said:
Aros":1f7ncaih said:

Agreed
hell we didn't allow a score from them again. defense played lights out. your right had this been in normal temps we win soundly.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Aros":2rhte8nr said:

Yup. The long Baldwin pass would have been a TD in normal weather. So many of Russell's passes were impacted by the weather.

Glad this game is over and that the Hawks have another chance to play in normal conditions.

OP
OP
M

mikeak

Reaction score
Did we not know about the weather? Did we not know how the ball would be in this?

Should we not have a short passing game plan as in the pat 6+ weeks?

We went for the big play over and over again despite it not working. We didn't punt to pin them instead on 3rd and 16 we threw for 3 freaking yards, then wasted a timeout and then went for it when the right call is punt or go for more yard in 3rd down to make 4th manageable.

We didn't kick when in range instead we turned it over

There were many mistakes coaching.

Still my point remains. Like Cincy yesterday Minnesota got gready and instead of playing it safe put the ball in a bad spot