That onside kick..

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
..was beautiful. Hauschka gave his teammates a great chance to make a play. I know Seahawks lost the game. I can't help but appreciate this team & their effort.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Completely agree. I've seen some cruddy excuses for onside kicks in my day, but that one was fairly textbook.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
If Coleman could have gotten there just a beat sooner to wipe out Davis chancellor was on perfect position to recover it. Good sure handed play by a linebacker unfortunately.

OP
OP
SeahawksFanForever

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3qi4nsz5 said:
If Coleman could have gotten there just a beat sooner to wipe out Davis chancellor was on perfect position to recover it. Good sure handed play by a linebacker unfortunately.

Yup, and the guy who recovered it was drafted in the same year as Lofa.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I have always been of the mindset that you kick the ball as high in the air as you can (making sure it travels at least 10 yards obviously), giving your teammates plenty of time to run down and be in position to make the catch, ala Hail Mary style. Why this isn't done in the NFL I don't get.

The current paradigm of kicking the ball into the dirt, letting it hop up is a much lower percentage play than what I mentioned above but what do I know.

:2:

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Aros":gb32c2n2 said:
I have always been of the mindset that you kick the ball as high in the air as you can (making sure it travels at least 10 yards obviously), giving your teammates plenty of time to run down and be in position to make the catch, ala Hail Mary style. Why this isn't done in the NFL I don't get.

The current paradigm of kicking the ball into the dirt, letting it hop up is a much lower percentage play than what I mentioned above but what do I know.

There was an awesome onside kick in college football from a few years ago where they kicked it perfectly 20 yards or so in the air and their man caught it in stride and ran it into the end zone. Can't remember the game, but it was pretty amazing.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
hawknation2015":3pbjz2sg said:
Aros":3pbjz2sg said:

There was an awesome onside kick in college football from a few years ago where they kicked it perfectly 20 yards or so in the air and their man caught it in stride and ran it into the end zone. Can't remember the game, but it was pretty amazing.

EXACTLY. :16:

hawknation2015

Reaction score
It was something like this, though NFL rules prevent teams from advancing an onside recovery. Still, a longer kick might take the receiving team by surprise.

[youtube]dq3G6eUkYGw[/youtube]

Rob12

Reaction score
SeahawksFanForever":270uxzgh said:
..was beautiful. Hauschka gave his teammates a great chance to make a play. I know Seahawks lost the game. I can't help but appreciate this team & their effort.

No quit in this team - ever.

Now if they can just figure out how to come out early in games, it'd be beautiful.

Megatron

Reaction score
Aros":2ypygayc said:

If you kick the ball straight up into the air without it hitting the ground first the receiving team can call for a fair catch, thus making any hit to the player calling for the fair catch kick catch interference or a penalty for hitting a player making the fair catch after the catch is made. Your only chance of getting the ball is if the player calling for the fair catch muffs the ball.

SeahawksBMX

Reaction score
Megatron":1mlzw1bf said:
If you kick the ball straight up into the air without it hitting the ground first the receiving team can call for a fair catch, thus making any hit to the player calling for the fair catch kick catch interference. Your only chance of getting the ball is if the player calling for the fair catch muffs the ball.

Beat me to it.

idahawks

Reaction score
Megatron":1hg25s3t said:
Aros":1hg25s3t said:

If you kick the ball straight up into the air without it hitting the ground first the receiving team can call for a fair catch, thus making any hit to the player calling for the fair catch kick catch interference or a penalty for hitting a player making the fair catch after the catch is made. Your only chance of getting the ball is if the player calling for the fair catch muffs the ball.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you have to bounce it off the ground the prevent the other team from calling fair catch. They need to do away with the fair catch on a kick off. Its almost never called, 90% of the kicks today go out of the end zone anyway. I can't remember the last time I saw someone call fair catch on a kick off. Its a live ball that cant go out of bounds there shouldn't be a fair catch. I can see it on the punts but not the kick offs. This would make the onside kick much more interesting and more likely to be recovered by the kicking team.

mikeak

Reaction score
Aros":3kzd6u20 said:
hawknation2015":3kzd6u20 said:
Aros":3kzd6u20 said:

EXACTLY. :16:

1) Alabama just did it 1-2 weeks ago in the national championship game. Exactly what you are discussing. The advantage is you get your players there at the same time as the ball and you are going the right direction vs the defense backing up.

2) You cannot advance the onside kick. Rule may not have been in place prior

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
JSeahawks":i5ozu85l said:

Hauschka said the turf made the ball not jump as high as it normally does on a good surface..........thus it came down sooner.

Reason #27 to win your division.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Aros":xe693ehd said:

If I were kicking, that is how I would do it.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Both Pete and Haushka said that they wanted the ball to bounce higher, and that normally it would have, but the field surface killed the bounce. That field was just terrible. It was still a great attempt, regardless. I thought for a second that the Hawks were going to get it.

HommyHawk

Reaction score
Can you drop kick on kickoff?or place the ball on ground without the tee?Just Belicheckin.

johnnyfever

Reaction score
HommyHawk":2bnuiau1 said:
Can you drop kick on kickoff?or place the ball on ground without the tee?Just Belicheckin.

I don't see the point. Ball has to touch the ground or they can fair catch it, so drop kick is out. the tee allows it to be stable in a position you couldn't get just resting on the ground, so again I don't think there is an advantage, plus as it is already touching the field, not sure how you could kick it and get it to touch the ground after you kick it to be a live ball.

HommyHawk

Reaction score
johnnyfever":u0oov3au said:
HommyHawk":u0oov3au said:

I don't see the point. Ball has to touch the ground or they can fair catch it, so drop kick is out. the tee allows it to be stable in a position you couldn't get just resting on the ground, so again I don't think there is an advantage, plus as it is already touching the field, not sure how you could kick it and get it to touch the ground after you kick it to be a live ball.
No the drop kick(or maybe toe drop kick?)has to be bounced off the ground first.as far as no tee I meant to imply someone holding it and since it starts by already touching turf.....loopholes bro always compete. :D